Hello,

Maybe I am missing something but quite a few times now, I have saved contacts on the Playbook, and have entered the company name for the said contact. Later, I would have wanted to search by company name since I forgot the name of the person, but could not do it. Seems as though you can only search through your contacts by name.

Is that a fact?

If that is the case, I would love to ability to search with any other field that is available when adding a contact.

Thanks,

JF
    01-07-13 01:39 PM
    Yes you can search by company name.

In both the native contacts app and in the bridge contacts app.

When you type something into the search field in either of these apps, the search results include searches on the first name, last name and company name fields.

It works fine for me.
    01-07-13 01:45 PM
    Yes you can search by company name.

In both the native contacts app and in the bridge contacts app.

When you type something into the search field in either of these apps, the search results include searches on the first name, last name and company name fields.

It works fine for me.
    Well Patrick, you are right, it works, but not all the time. After reading your post I gave it a try with a different company name and it worked this time. What I realized is that if the company name is one word, the search function will pick it up. If it's composed of two words or more, it does not always work. Try it with "New York Yankees". It works when typing new, but if you had nork and yankees, it doesn't. Seems like the functionality is there but needs refinement.
    01-07-13 03:41 PM
    Well Patrick, you are right, it works, but not all the time. After reading your post I gave it a try with a different company name and it worked this time. What I realized is that if the company name is one word, the search function will pick it up. If it's composed of two words or more, it does not always work. Try it with "New York Yankees". It works when typing new, but if you had nork and yankees, it doesn't. Seems like the functionality is there but needs refinement.
    Well JF, you are wrong.

If your friend in your BB contacts works for the New York Yankees, his info will show up in the contacts search results if you type in "New" or if you type in "York" or if you type in "Yank". But if, as you proposed, you type in "Nork Yankees", it won't find your contact. I believe it is looking for what you actually typed in and guess what, it's not there.

So the key takeaway here is not that the company name must be only one word, instead your search phrase should only be one word and perhaps the shortest unique part of the company name. Since this is mobile computing, the search method that uses the least amount of typing is the best.

What you are asking is for the search function to search on each word you type into the search box. Now that we know it doesn't work that way, let's just type in one search word at a time. Problem solved.
    01-07-13 05:05 PM
    Well JF, you are wrong.

If your friend in your BB contacts works for the New York Yankees, his info will show up in the contacts search results if you type in "New" or if you type in "York" or if you type in "Yank". But if, as you proposed, you type in "Nork Yankees", it won't find your contact. I believe it is looking for what you actually typed in and guess what, it's not there.

So the key takeaway here is not that the company name must be only one word, instead your search phrase should only be one word and perhaps the shortest unique part of the company name. Since this is mobile computing, the search method that uses the least amount of typing is the best.

What you are asking is for the search function to search on each word you type into the search box. Now that we know it doesn't work that way, let's just type in one search word at a time. Problem solved.
    Well Patrick, you are... ah enough with that!!

Really, I tried it a again and in my previous post, I obviously made a type and meant "if you add York and Yankees", as opposed to Nork...

Having said that, the search function only works with the first word of the company name if there are more than one. For instance, searching York, or Yankees as per the previous example will give you nothing. Trying is believing.

Accordingly, when searching for a company name that has more than one word in it, one should only use the first word of the name, or else, no result will appear.

Thanks for your feedback,
    BigAl_BB9900 and PatrickMJS like this.
    01-07-13 05:32 PM
    Sorry I have tried this with both the native and the bridge contacts app. A search on "xyz" will find any company that has xyz in its name, whether the company name has 1, 2 or more words in it and whether the string xyz appears in the first word, the second word, or any other word in the company name field.

The thing I suspect is fouling you up is if you include more than one word in your search string.
    01-07-13 07:08 PM
    I have to admit I don't have too many company names. But for my physical therapist "xyz Physical Therapy" I searched for "ther" and found it. Same with "phy" and it found it. This is on the Bridge Contacts.
    01-07-13 08:00 PM
    I get the same result as jfguay2. I don't have bridge so maybe that is the difference.

What I find is adding an * right before the search word makes sure I don't miss anything. e.g. *econo will give all the entries in the Company field whether some were entered as The Economist and some as Economist Magazine. Additionally, it would find all email addresses which contain that string of letters such as anyone@theeconomistEtc which helps if there was nothing written in the company description area.

Not certain but I believe Contacts only allows searches from the info in first name, last name, email address, phone number, and the company name fields.
    DocDRM likes this.
    01-08-13 08:02 AM
    Well danggg... JF is right.

For my first & second replies, I tested both the native & bridge contacts apps. The result came back the same, as expected. For my third reply, I only checked the bridge contacts app and dang it all anyway if the native app doesn't seach the company name past the first word of the company name, whereas the bridge app does. Go figure.

Looks like the programmers were sloppy the day they wrote the native contacts app.

I sure hope they don't have f*** ups like that when BB10 comes out.

Thanks to JF for persisting. Good catch.
    DocDRM likes this.
    01-08-13 10:18 AM
    I get the same result as jfguay2. I don't have bridge so maybe that is the difference.

What I find is adding an * right before the search word makes sure I don't miss anything. e.g. *econo will give all the entries in the Company field whether some were entered as The Economist and some as Economist Magazine. Additionally, it would find all email addresses which contain that string of letters such as anyone@theeconomistEtc which helps if there was nothing written in the company description area.

Not certain but I believe Contacts only allows searches from the info in first name, last name, email address, phone number, and the company name fields.
    Good catch Snow, but I really don't think most smartphone and tablet owners want to go back to the bad old DOS days when it was all *, ?, *.*, etc. It should work as JF pointed out and it doesn't. Clearly not enough user testing was done.
    01-08-13 10:23 AM
    Patrick, sometimes dos is good.

As the OP's problem about forgetting the name of the person. Well, say you do a lot of business in Asia and can't remember that person's name or that of her company? Say, she's from Taiwan. Type the * along with the Country's telephone routing code 886. Other occurances of the number sequence will still show but the number of contacts to look through to locate her would be far fewer.

You could just key 886 in the search but if you put any other number in front of the country code when you entered the contact info you search won't show that.
    01-08-13 11:49 AM