ok so when i came back home today, wife told my 3 year old washed the playbook because it was dirty.... now what are my options?
    the thing is i put the plug after few hrs and the red light turns on but nothing more......
    02-01-12 06:18 AM
    It would be infinitely cheaper to just write it off and buy a new one at the low prices available now. I am of the opinion that if, and it's a big IF, RIM unveils an updated PB with 3G/4G/LTE, the price of the new PB will be much higher, and the rush to buy remaining original wi-fi only PB's will be great, and then the only way to get an original PB will be through eBay and Craigs List, where they will command much higher prices then the current sales price, but lower then the new version PB prices.
    02-01-12 06:26 AM
    Dunk it in rice and hope but plan to get a new one.
    02-01-12 06:30 AM
    Power off, in a bag of rice for 2-3 days is a common suggestion. Check in the 9810/9800 threads....I know there have been extensive discussions about reviving a wet device (such as http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...bullet-620995/) - your chances of success depend on how wet and where in the device the water seeped. Good luck
    02-01-12 06:31 AM
    Buy a new one..I saw on slickdeals you could get one for $150..Or if you're patient, wait till they hit the $99 bin
    02-01-12 07:16 AM
    dam 230 gone dust
    02-01-12 07:28 AM
    ok so when i came back home today, wife told my 3 year old washed the playbook because it was dirty.... now what are my options?
    the thing is i put the plug after few hrs and the red light turns on but nothing more......
    Option 1: Dunk your child underwater in the bathtub for 5 minutes. Risk: (you) visit from law enforcement and prison sentence, (child) death or brain damage

Option 2: Buy a new Blackberry PlayBook and tell your child the now non-functional is the only tablet he/she will receive until they can afford their own. Risk: (child) temper tantrum and false report of "abuse" to law enforcement, (you) stress arising from the need to keep the new tablet under lock and key when not in your hands, and stress arising from the temper tantrums and false allegations of abusive parenting

Option 3: Divorce your wife and let her have sole custody of the evil spawn. Risk: (you) 50% loss of assets for the remainder of your life, possibly beyond death and into the graveyard

Of the three options a quick cost-benefit analysis reveals none of them are optimal for you. Unfortunately, you are in a no-win situation. Pick your poison.
    BoloMKXXVIII likes this.
    02-01-12 07:38 AM
    Get a new one from one of the offers around... then send it to Liquipel | Waterproof Your Cell Phone, No Case Required! to make it waterproof - and you should have no more worries about water issues...
    02-01-12 07:55 AM
    Get a new one from one of the offers around... then send it to Liquipel | Waterproof Your Cell Phone, No Case Required! to make it waterproof - and you should have no more worries about water issues...
    They dont even waterproof the PB.
    02-01-12 08:08 AM
    You may want to try to crack it open. Lay it in a dry place for a few days without powering it on (make sure you don't absolutely turn it on even to check if it's working. I also hope you haven't tried powering it on yet).

There is a chance that it will work, but in the end of the day it's unknown how long it will last. Water damaged electronics tends to die prematurely and without warning.

So get a new one. If the old one works, load a few games on it and give it to your kid to play with.
    02-01-12 09:38 AM
    As others have stated, place in a bag of rice for a few days. The rice absorbs the water and MAY get the Playbook to work in a few days. This may not be effective as the Playbook as a lot of space inside to hold water. In that case you should try dismantling the Playbook (BlackBerry PlayBook Teardown - iFixit) and then placing it in the rice bag. If you have a dehumidifier you could put the Playbook in a small room with the dehumidifier set on high for a few days. While you may well have a brick you have already paid for it so you might as well try to save it. You can't make it worse so you have nothing to lose. If you do get it working I would still get another. Make sure the new one gets nowhere near your child. He now has his own.
    02-01-12 09:48 AM
    I don't think that was the Liquid Graphics RIM had in mind...
    02-01-12 09:50 AM
    dam 230 gone dust
    But the kid is probably adorable! Keep the kid, replace the pb.

Some folks have opened theirs up - since the warranty is dead, you could open it and see if you can speed the drying. Obviously, it should be powered off but sealed in battery makes removing all power impossible. Warm above a radiator.

I managed to save my stream-dunked canon camera this past summer - never step on a slippery log. It seemed pretty dead. Water in battery compartment, under lcd protector, well, everywhere. Removed battery, sd card, and held it in front of air conditioner in car for about 3 hours of driving as well as in very warm direct sunlight for another 2 or 3 hours. Worked after that. I was amazed.
    02-01-12 10:05 AM
    I'm a network admin/ Bes admin and have dealt with many phones and electronics that have gone through the wash (full cycle in washing machine) and have been able to revive them.

Best bet is to let the water seep out of it at first.

Then place it in a large bag of rice. The rice absorbs the moisture out of the air. Leave it in the rice for 2 or 3 days. If you notice alot of condensation on the bag, replace all the rice.

After this, give it a full charge and attempt to power on.

If it fails to boot, plug it in to your computer via the usb cable and see if DM detects it and see if it can recover /wipe it.

You can pull the cover off the back of the play book and use a hair drier set on low heat to help speed the process up.
    BlackBerry PlayBook Teardown: Removing the back cover | 10 of 80

You aren't going to make it any worse by following this.

If it is dead, i would be interested in purchasing it off you because i've been wanting to take one completel apart, but i'm not willing to try it on a working one PM me if you are interested.

I've fixed xboxs (rrod), ps3s, blackberries, laptops etc and its a fun challenge.
    02-01-12 10:51 AM
    Protip: Keep your PB clean or else!!

cogsinister likes this.
    02-01-12 12:08 PM
    I just remembered I put my odometer through the wash. It seems to have survived - less electronics but ....
    02-01-12 12:33 PM
    Instructions for Wet PlayBook:
    1. Power off device and open if possible
    2. Place in large plastic bag with 1 cup dry, uncooked rice
    3. Seal bag and let sit for 2 days
    4. Remove device
    5. Put rice in pot with 2 cups boiling water
    6. Boil until water is nearly gone, turn off heat, cover and let simmer
    7. Add salt, pepper, sugar, butter, milk or whatever, season to taste
    8. Eat rice
    9. Call ShopBlackBerry or similar retailer and order new PB
    10. Enjoy life, you usually only get one shot at it here on Earth!

Oh, you can try to power on the old device if you like, but don't expect too much, however you can sell it on eBay or at the CrackBerry Marketplace forums here, someone will buy it for parts or just for fun.

If you bought it within the last 30 days from a place like Shopblackberry for example, you could still purchase the accident protection insurance they offer for $130 and try to file a claim afterwards, but that might be slightly dishonest and I cannot personally recommend that because it would bring bad karma to both of us.
    02-01-12 12:36 PM
    They dont even waterproof the PB.
    If you write them you will find that they can "splayshproof" it ...
    and also they can do more.... devices listed on their "certified" list only show devices that they more or less guarantee - but others can be done as well...
    02-01-12 12:36 PM
    I'm so sorry this happened to your playbook. On the plus side, you've got a kid that actually likes "clean."
    02-01-12 02:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD