I am looking for a simpler or more elegant way to watch satellite TV on my Playbook.

My present setup consists of a usb video capture device connected to my laptop so I can see the TV picture on my laptop. I then use Splashtop Remote Desktop to connect my Playbook to the laptop. It works but I wonder if there is a more direct way of doing it.
    02-08-12 02:23 PM
    try ORB it's free..
    02-08-12 04:07 PM
    I use a Slingbox. The Slingbox app works great for viewing live T.V., recorded programs, and for programing my DVR when away from home. It works great on my laptop and iPad, but alas, there's no app for the playbook. I'm really hoping that OS2 will bring functionality of the Andriod Slingbox app to the PB. I guess we won't know for a couple more weeks.
    02-08-12 06:22 PM
    Do you have to use an app to use slingbox? A Browser won't work?
    02-09-12 02:26 AM
    Used to be able too on a pc, but not on the PB. It would give you the "browser not recognized" error. Since then Dish has bought Slingbox and the Sling.com website redirects you to dishonline.com and they want you to use their Sling "adaptor". It's frustrating especially since BB handsets on AT&T can use the app, but none of the Verizon BB's are supported. All Andriod and IOS devices have an app. The whole thing just "burns my biscuits"!
    02-09-12 10:39 AM
    Remember, Uncle Remus, the crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe.

Funny how the mind works: soon as I saw your profile pic, I thought, that's the "Apostrophe" album cover. Ahhh... college days in the 70's...
    02-09-12 10:47 AM
    I actually like how Splashtop allows for viewing my Dreambox satellite receiver. The picture is decent, and the sound is good. I can even open a webpage on my PB browser that will allow me to select the channel. The webpage has other functionality that I haven't figured out yet...
    02-09-12 11:50 AM
    Remember, Uncle Remus, the crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe.

Funny how the mind works: soon as I saw your profile pic, I thought, that's the "Apostrophe" album cover. Ahhh... college days in the 70's...
    Yo Partick! Finally another Zappa fan. I'm starting to think we're a dying breed.

Yes, I can run my Slingbox app on my desktop and then use Splashtop to watch/control it, but the Slingbox app does a great job of "optimizing" the picture based on the available bandwidth of the network/internet connection. Therefore, the picture quality and streaming is not as good, but for now, it's all I've got....
    02-09-12 01:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD