Sir Jonathan Ive: The iMan cometh - London Life - Life & Style - Evening Standard

Q: Why has Apple�s competition struggled to do that?

A: That�s quite unusual, most of our competitors are interesting in doing something different, or want to appear new - I think those are completely the wrong goals. A product has to be genuinely better. This requires real discipline, and that�s what drives us - a sincere, genuine appetite to do something that is better. Committees just don�t work, and it�s not about price, schedule or a bizarre marketing goal to appear different - they are corporate goals with scant regard for people who use the product.

I have a lot of respect for this guy next to Steve Jobs. They inspire me, yet i don't own any Apple product (but will soon be since my wife keeps bugging me to get her an Ipad3).

The Playbook is actually genuinely better for the things it's meant to do.
    peter9477 and Thunderbuck like this.
    03-13-12 04:30 PM
    I have tons of respect for Jony Ive, but I'm far from believing that Apple is the only tech company capable of decent industrial design.

I love my Bold 9900, and it would be pure anathema both to Jobs AND to Ive, if only for its keyboard. Aside from that, though, it's a very clean design, and to me carries a hint of retro formality that gives it WAY more character than an iPhone.

The Playbook was also a beautiful design. Clean, functional, and that rubberized finish actually makes the device easier to use than the slick stainless-steel of an iPad.

I love good design. Frankly, Sony is starting to do some interesting stuff again, too, and I wonder if anyone at Apple has the same kind of product-related OCD that Jobs used to the brand's benefit. But RIM is up there too, as far as I'm concerned.
    hpjrt and peter9477 like this.
    03-13-12 05:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD