After several futile attempts to get any help from RIM on the subject - I choose to write this warning to all and everybody - hoping others don't do the same mistakes as I, and perhaps we together can make RIM change their behaviour and start listening to their customers....

RIM - Since you have "locked down" the Playbook to only get apps via AppWorld - you MUST ensure the service is Working AND delivers what we need.

#1)
    Most free apps should not have gotten through to the store at all - as they don't build on the Playbook experience. They either do nothing - except from changing background colors - to not implement Playbooks swipe menu system - or are just plain stupid. More than 50% does not even work properly - sudden exits - black startup screen etc...

#2)
    Most pay-apps do not have any "trial/demo" version. After trying a few - my guess is also that the so called "reviews" are false - made by the developer or friends.... Some reviews tells about features not present etc...

#3)
    RIM takes NO responsibilities for apps sold on AppWorld.
    After purchasing apps - only to find that the app either don't work, don't do what description say - or just stop working after running a few times - I want a refund. Contacting RIM Support tells me to contact the developer for any technical or refund questions - since all purchases is Final.
    Well - I have so far contacted 8 different "developers" over the last 2 months - and NONE have responded to me. NONE! I have been kind and describing the issues in detail, kindly asking for assistance to make the apps work - or - if there is no working solution I have asked for refund.

What needs to be in place is:

-Better quality check on apps getting through to AppWorld, OR - a different category for "****ty apps"

-Easier way to contact support for the apps. Now you can't even copy/paste from the e-mail address in AppWorld

-RIM MUST take some responsibility of the purchase situation, OR - they MUST make sure that ALL pay-apps include a fully functional time limited trial version so we can verify.

-When it happens that Apps don't work as they should - and the developer can't /won't give support - a REFUND should not be a big problem.
    One way to handle this - would be to grant all sales with a 10 days money-back no-questions-asked refund...

-App Reviews should not been anonymous.

-Whenever you install an app it is registered in your BBid on AppWorld. Even if you choose to delete the app - it is still there... So now after having the Playbook since it came to the marked - I have tried 100+ apps - and deleted most. When I now do a complete wipe and want to re-install the few apps that I use - I have to browse through all the 100+ apps...
    Com'on RIM - you CAN do better than that... Make it possible to DELETE apps from the "uninstalled" list on AppWorld, OR - make a new category with only "preffered" apps - a list that I can control!
    09-05-11 09:52 AM
    Get the HP slate tablet that runs on windows 7 like I did. Since I left the bb playbook and got a real tablet, that isn't a dead product. I've been loving the tablet world. You playbook fan boys don't have a clue what your missing.
    09-05-11 10:09 AM
    Get the HP slate tablet that runs on windows 7 like I did. Since I left the bb playbook and got a real tablet, that isn't a dead product. I've been loving the tablet world. You playbook fan boys don't have a clue what your missing.
    sooo...what r u doing here? just askin..
    09-05-11 10:27 AM
    some of the best apps i enjoy off appworld are free...doodleblast, grid, robin hood, bluebox, easycrop, scrapbook.

Personally dont have a problem with majority of stuff out there...just waiting for more of em to start coming

Yes there is some junk, but to be fair my wife downloads apps for her iPhone and there is also a fair bit of junk in Apples's store.

Frankly this has been discussed to death in other threads, do we really need another one whining about poor quality free stuff..just saying..
    09-05-11 10:46 AM
    RIM needs to release the SDK asap, and get some real apps on the appstore, (bloomberg, kindle, skype and something like flipboard)

i dont care alot about games. but i hope EA keeps releasing more games.
    nextlevel88 likes this.
    09-05-11 10:56 AM
    Apparently you DO know what you're missing because you are still hanging out on the PlayBook forum. Your trying to convince someone to get an HP is proof positive that misery loves company.
    09-05-11 11:07 AM
    There are some very legitimate issues raised by the OP. Someone has pointed out that developers can easily remove bad reviews. Clicking support should at least allow copy/paste the info. Easier way to manage REMOVED apps (someone mentioned that might be fixed in a beta???)
    09-05-11 11:12 AM
    I am waiting for them to deal with my being billed for a full charge for a app that was being offered for half price. If I do not hear from them in the next day or two I will just call credit card company and let them deal with rim
    09-05-11 11:27 AM
    it certainly is nice when you want to make a purchase that a vendor actualy has a functioning system in place to process the transaction. HELLO!
    09-05-11 11:42 AM
    RE: WARNING - AppWorld is a JOKE!

I would definitely agree on that... even though I haven't purchased anything because of this Error ID: 10000... and no response from RIM... it is definitely not my credit card company since I can use it in iTunes, Android Apps and eBay...
    09-05-11 11:53 AM
    I love how the OP raises some very valid questions and concerns..and gets treated like a red-headed step-child at Christmas dinner.

AppWorld rating "manipulating" has been going on for quite some time now (long before Playbook) and is consistently being abused by "devs"..yet anytime it gets mentioned the fanboi's attack like they're being personally insulted.

The only way things are going to get better is if people pull off their blinders and really look at what's happening behind the scenes..and kick up enough of a stink to make a difference. Otherwise..meh..what will RIM care?
    09-05-11 11:57 AM
    I just pulled the trigger on one, I've had enough of this no-show-could-have-been-a-contender nonsense. Ahhh, Open Office, the real Kindle/Nook/Netflix/Hulu, Full browser, email clients galore, and I only have to wait a week or less. And if it proves to be as spitefull as the PB or any other "tablet" I can always Linux it.

Back on subject though, Yea, (Cr)app world is a veritable crap shoot, something I never anticipated from such a "secure" platform sponsor. most current offerings are either incompetent or outright dishonest. NO MORE FROM THIS OWNER!
    I started a thread in the PB Apps forum to list the worst offenders but it went nowhere. I guess too many owners have their starry eyes wide shut. Or just too lazy.
    Last edited by Beakman; 09-05-11 at 12:10 PM.
    09-05-11 12:00 PM
    There are some very legitimate issues raised by the OP. Someone has pointed out that developers can easily remove bad reviews. Clicking support should at least allow copy/paste the info. Easier way to manage REMOVED apps (someone mentioned that might be fixed in a beta???)
    Agreed.that RIM could and should improve the app world experience - especially the review process

But contrary to the OP's post, developers cannot issue an official refund. There is, in fact, an official channel to get a refund based solely on the customer's assessment of an app. (Why RIM does not advertise the email address is anybody's guess.)

If you want a refund (no questions asked), simply send an email to [email protected] together with details of your purchase. Giving a reason for your request would likely be cathartic but I wouldn't count on RIM actually changing the process based on your complaint.
    09-05-11 12:18 PM
    I tend not to buy an app unless it has a trial period or a good review on CB or another site. I don't trust the developer or reviews.
    09-05-11 12:18 PM
    I tend not to buy an app unless it has a trial period or a good review on CB or another site. I don't trust the developer or reviews.
    Agreed.. I havent read a review in app world for over a year now .. Unless Im looking for a late night bbm booty call with a girl in zimbabwe..
    FF22 and SixStringMadness like this.
    09-05-11 12:23 PM
    Delet your account and log on to a HP Slate forum then ! Apparently we don't have a clue so we won't miss you.
    09-05-11 01:13 PM
    AppWorld is a JOKE, had blackberrys 3 yrs now n a playbook just recently, n still waiting for RIM to grant my country access! seriously???

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-05-11 01:23 PM
    Damn a lot of miserable playbook owners! I will take advice of a couple of you guys and find a HP Slate forum.

-app world is a joke and barely any developers because they know the playbook is a flop.

-boot up time on a playbook is stone age. 2 mins to boot up and the slate is under 20 secs.

-no SD slot on PB

-no usb slot on PB.

-QNX os is stripped bare with no features.

-wi-fi on pb is horrible always disconcerting and searching.

-browser 0n pb sucks and is impossible to customize favorites.

-Rim rushed a unfinished device.

I'm gone from this thread have fun with your dead product...lol
    09-05-11 01:36 PM
    Damn a lot of miserable playbook owners! I will take advice of a couple of you guys and find a HP Slate forum.

-app world is a joke and barely any developers because they know the playbook is a flop.

-boot up time on a playbook is stone age. 2 mins to boot up and the slate is under 20 secs.

-no SD slot on PB

-no usb slot on PB.

-QNX os is stripped bare with no features.

-wi-fi on pb is horrible always disconcerting and searching.

-browser 0n pb sucks and is impossible to customize favorites.

-Rim rushed a unfinished device.

I'm gone from this thread have fun with your dead product...lol
    You need to have patience with blackberry devices, which is why vampires use them, they can live on forever waiting for updates.

Just kidding....

vampires dont exist.
    howarmat and nhs_john_doe like this.
    09-05-11 01:38 PM
    Right. Because none of us tried other tablets.
    nhs_john_doe and sk8er_tor like this.
    09-05-11 02:27 PM
    Frankly this has been discussed to death in other threads, do we really need another one whining about poor quality free stuff..just saying..
    Well - this is not whining about poor quality free stuff ... it is a serious matter for us who develops as well. RIM is forcing us to use AppWorld to deliver apps - but they totally forgot about the user experience and management.
    09-05-11 04:14 PM
    You should try iTunes. Now that is annoying. At least my Playbook won't have all the Apps deleted just cos I plug it in to the wrong PC. I use iPad 2's in my job and refuse to use one at home mainly because the entire OS is filtered through iTunes. I would rather have Wi Fi File sharing and be treated like a grown up. And I have 48 apps on my PB, regularly use most of them and have no problems with App World. I also have a life.

One Day At A Time
    mozzamay, suzicat, bbeezy and 1 others like this.
    09-05-11 04:30 PM
    Mods! Why is this post allowable in the forums? There have been members who contribute positively that have been banned.

Just pathetic!
    Is he lying?
    simpsonsguy316 likes this.
    09-05-11 04:47 PM
    At least we know how to spell "you're" correctly.
    angel_esq, 312 and k1ward like this.
    09-05-11 04:48 PM
    Mods! Why is this post allowable in the forums? There have been members who contribute positively that have been banned.

Just pathetic!
    If the Mods delete every post that says something bad about the playbook then these forums would be no different than AppWorld where developers delete reviews that explain why an app is bad.
    straightshooter likes this.
    09-05-11 06:28 PM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD