Ok, so bought a PB right around the time the native email client was being released. I am a university student and the idea of using a tablet (rather than my bulky gaming laptop) for my notes and internet browsing seemed like a no-brainer, especially seeing how many of my peers seemed to get along just fine with their iPads. Being a pretty hardcore fan of the physical keyboards I also went ahead and bought BB's bluetooth mini keyboard to complete what I expected would be my new dream tablet.... Is it just me or was I dead wrong here?

When I first started using the PB I was pretty impressed with its performance, felt pretty smooth and was extremely happy with the storage space (64Gb). Sadly though, that feeling lasted a whole 2 minutes... as soon as I tried using the mini keyboard the lag and random disconnects were driving me crazy. Kept on TRYING to use the PB for a whole semester and would just end up infuriated that I had bought a device from my dearest BB (who has always made typing experiences a joy for me) and now i'm $450 poorer with a tablet that cant type, while everyone else seems to be having an excellent experience with their ipad's and third party keyboards!

Now you might say, "hey, why not just use the virtual keyboard?" ... BECAUSE THE DAMN VIRTUAL KEYBOARD ON MY PB HITS THREE RANDOM KEYS OR DISAPPEARS EVERY TIME I HIT A KEY!!! ... It literally takes me about 5 minutes and 30 attempts to even put in my wifi pw! .... Ive rebooted countless times in hopes of correction and even wiped the whole thing just in case there was an app that was messing with the keyboard. No solution in sight.

So I guess my questions would be:

1. Has this happened to anyone else?
    2. If it has happened to anyone else, does anyone know of a fix?
    3. If it hasn't, what would be the most creative way that I could take out all of my anger and hate on this device that has been nothing but a pain in the arse from day 1?

BTW, not hating on BB as a whole, switched from my 9900 to the z10 and never looked back... the PB however, if this is the norm of the devices functionality, I totally understand why it was a complete failure..
    08-06-13 11:14 PM
    I'm sorry but that title is cracking me up

I've never had the BBRY bluetooth keyboard... the reviews seemed really well the best keyboard if it is indeed the one BBRY made! (maybe you got a defective one?) Should've tried replacing it as i've never really seen many complain about it.

Regarding the PB keyboard itself... i feel your pain, it does get annoying at times (compared to using well...any other device from BBRY) it does take time to get used to but it's more frustrating than anything else..
    08-06-13 11:21 PM
    I experienced this laggy weirdo behavior of the virtual keyboard like you, until I deactivated the actionscript thing from the stock browser . But don"t ask me what is the relationship between the actionscript and the virtual keyboard. Only Thorsten knows....

Now talking about the physical keyboard, I bought last month a "new" one without its package for 35 bucks from a discount shop. and it works smoothly since day one.

I suspect a faulty driver. maybe a wipe will fix this problem. Otherwise, you picked up a lemon.
    08-06-13 11:50 PM
    Does the "drop out" of the keyboard happen in any particular location? In other words, could another device using that radio frequency be interferring and breaking the connection? When I've used it, I had not had issues.

Lately, though while use hdmi and Kalemsoft, I find both my bt mouse and the BB music gateway will suddenly be gone. Both are bt and when it happens I have to close the bt on the pb, and then reopened it and the connection work again. I don't know why it happens.
    Chrysalis1156 likes this.
    08-07-13 12:10 AM
    08-07-13 02:58 AM
    Yeah I don't think that theres any interference going on. I mainly used it at home and school and the problem occurs in both locations.... and I don't use any other bt devices at home. it's a pretty easy fix to re connect though.... just turn keyboard off and on again and it works for a few mins and then u have to do it again when it lags out. but between that and the general keyboard lag I'm pretty much over even trying.... just carry my laptop around now.

Was hoping that a bb10 upgrade would fix all of this bit I think we all know what happened with that. Anyway, I think I'm done with BlackBerry tablets at least for the foreseeable future. For now I think I just have to live with the fact that I got suckered in to buying a very sub par product from a company I expected much more from.

On a side note though. Seeing the pb run after using my z10 for a couple of months now makes that tablet seem like it's crawling compared to the gorgeous speed and fluidity of bb10!! Loving this phone!!

Posted via CB10
    08-07-13 03:38 AM
    OP if your PlayBook isn't working to your happiness then just remember what Thor said, It was one of the hardest decisions I had to make.
    Remember all the liberal minded rainbow people believe that if you have an issue with your PlayBook it is just a business decision that RIMBERRY made and you should suckered it up.
    I am embarrassed that this device has not helped you.
    08-07-13 08:35 AM
    I haven't had your issues and no bt kb. Sounds like your virtual kb issues are with your thumbs. The only time mine has done similar is when trying to type before the page is fully loaded.

Edit: but I've also wanted to slap mine many times too
    Cap_172R likes this.
    08-07-13 08:52 AM
    I'm pretty sure that if the problem were with my thumbs I would have an even greater problem with my z10 (which i don't) ... or any other virtual keyboard. Not to mention, I'm pretty sure that my pressing the letter L should have little to no effect on the PB then pressing W or some other random letter. I have noticed though that the keyboard mostly does these kind of shenanigans when the battery level goes below 30%-ish... no idea why though.
    08-07-13 07:01 PM
    In that respect, I feel that the z10 took a bit of getting used to, but for the better. First few days were a bit confusing but now I'm quite comfortable and I think that I might even be typing faster than I did with my 9900 (which is amazing considering that I have always loathed the idea of touchscreens... seems like I was just waiting for someone to get it right ^_^). With the PB on the other hand, it seems like you have to get used to something laggy and unresponsive.... Extremely frustrating indeed!
    08-07-13 07:05 PM
    been there with the virtual keyboard, when I select a text field it sucks. been using my pb less and less just because of the frustations. like when commenting on an article or even on fb the keyboard lags, dissapears, and to get out of the txt field is a pain
    08-07-13 07:09 PM
    Relevant indeed! Kinda glad to hear that I'm not the only one having these issues (Which I'm hoping means that I'm not crazy or demanding too much out of the product). On the other hand though, I find it ridiculous that BB's official bluetooth keyboard companion for the PB is giving people such headaches... especially after paying $100 bucks for a keyboard in hopes of resolving issues with the crappy $300 tablet's virtual keyboard.
    08-07-13 07:14 PM
    Yeah if anything I think that Thor is lucky that I don't live in Canada... otherwise he'd be receiving my PB by express delivery through his window.... Not directly hating on Thor though, would much rather fly the damn thing through the window of whoever designed the PB's virtual keyboard, and then the bluetooth one to whoever made that piece of garbage... anyone know their office locations? ^_^

Overall though extremely disappointed. Especially because I even made my girlfriend buy one (because I was touting what a great tablet it SHOULD be) when I bought mine and I'm pretty sure that she's only ever used it about 4 times for just about the same reason (doesn't use a bluetooth keyboard though). And now I feel bad for her (and guilty on my side for making her buy a PB) when she sees all of her friends using other tablets seamlessly.
    08-07-13 07:24 PM
    OP if your PlayBook isn't working to your happiness then just remember what Thor said, It was one of the hardest decisions I had to make.
    Remember all the liberal minded rainbow people believe that if you have an issue with your PlayBook it is just a business decision that RIMBERRY made and you should suckered it up.
    I am embarrassed that this device has not helped you.

And I am broken hearted that the PB didn't come through.
    I'm kinda starting to understand why BB had to write off all of that unsold inventory back in the day though. Cant blame the public for not buying a sub-par product...
    08-07-13 07:29 PM
    Yes, the playbook is lemon of a tablet. If you lower your expectations, you will like it more.
    FF22 and PTZ like this.
    08-07-13 07:55 PM
    Yes, the playbook is lemon of a tablet. If you lower your expectations, you will like it more.
    Heck yes! Compared to my old 8830 the PB is ALMOST a dream... a dream without BBM or a working keyboard. But hey, never mind those things! Look, I can play Tetris and NFS while at the same time watch an HD movie and take pictures and browse the web right? Thank god for my amazing decision to buy the one and only professional tablet!!

Oh btw, did i mention that the PB even had bridge at one point in time?! Such a great feature.... until I bought their new phone which dosent work with their ONLY tablet. I mean, what a fool I was to think that they would carry over one of the PB's best features to be compatible with their new OS... But like I said, no biggie...
    StampyBeaverbrook and PTZ like this.
    08-07-13 08:10 PM
    Yeah if anything I think that Thor is lucky that I don't live in Canada... otherwise he'd be receiving my PB by express delivery through his window.... Not directly hating on Thor though, would much rather fly the damn thing through the window of whoever designed the PB's virtual keyboard, and then the bluetooth one to whoever made that piece of garbage... anyone know their office locations? ^_^

Overall though extremely disappointed. Especially because I even made my girlfriend buy one (because I was touting what a great tablet it SHOULD be) when I bought mine and I'm pretty sure that she's only ever used it about 4 times for just about the same reason (doesn't use a bluetooth keyboard though). And now I feel bad for her (and guilty on my side for making her buy a PB) when she sees all of her friends using other tablets seamlessly.
    Sought of switching directions - does YOUR bt keyboard work with her pb?
    08-07-13 10:00 PM
    Yeah ive paired the keyboard to her PB and same issues. At this point just wondering whether:

a) The PB is defective
    b) The keyboard is defective
    c) The PB just suffers from poor design
    d) the keyboard suffers from poor design
    e) c and d

... call me crazy but im closest to siding with c at the moment, given my narrow (and painful) experience with the devices.
    08-07-13 10:25 PM
    I find it ridiculous that BB's official bluetooth keyboard companion for the PB is giving people such headaches....
    Know what I think is funny is that the official BlackBerry Mini Bluetooth Keyboard works better on my Galaxy Note 10.1 than it does on my PlayBook. :what:

Sent from my EVO using CB Forums mobile app
    08-07-13 10:28 PM
    I never used the BlackBerry bluetooth keyboard with my PB, but I've used several other bluetooth keyboards without any issues. My favorite in terms of feel was the Apple (I know...) wireless keyboard, but it isn't very portable. the one Microsoft recently released is also pretty good and much easier to carry around.

Posted via CB10
    08-07-13 10:34 PM
    I haven't had your issues and no bt kb. Sounds like your virtual kb issues are with your thumbs. The only time mine has done similar is when trying to type before the page is fully loaded.

Edit: but I've also wanted to slap mine many times too
    These kinds of posts are extremely annoying to see around the forum, just had to point this out.

douevenCB10?
    buntaluffigus2 likes this.
    08-07-13 10:45 PM
    Convinced Girlfriend to get a PlayBook= Man I feel for you.

Keyboard not working on both PlayBooks= Bad keyboard?

Are you using the recommended battery type? Fresh batteries?

Virtual keyboard problems= Bad digitizer?

Q: Does virtual keyboard work ok on girlfriends unit?
    Q: Virtual keyboard; When girlfriend uses your PlayBook (And maybe at another location... maybe the guy living next to you has some kind of high powered RF array)... Does it work OK for HER?..hate to say this but maybe you are the problem?

Q: You mention thumbs, via pecking with one hand does it work?

For giggles have you contacted BlackBerry? What did they say?

9-10 months ago I was reading that they often would replace out of warranty units
    (Probably because they had 200 tons of PlayBooks sitting in warehouses unsold!

I bet that has changed now!

Before they had enough they'd never run out, and they'd look like the "hero" for replacing a unit out of warranty.

I bet they are picky about doing that now. Once good old CEO Thorsten Heins stated BB10 coming to to PlayBook that REALLY helped clearing out all that dead inventory of unsold PlayBooks!)
    Last edited by WeAreNotAlone; 08-07-13 at 11:55 PM.
    08-07-13 11:41 PM
    Ask Thor to borrow his Mj�lnir. I bet Thor would be very happy to lend you his hammer to slap PB cause there will be one less complaining customer
    08-08-13 12:56 AM