Things I want to do. I have a PlayBook WiFi 32gb. and a 9900 I can bridge (soon to be z10)

GPS navigation- not sure if possible since no onboard GPS, (unless it can get location from bridge?)
    Music- Car has a 3.5MM jack. thats easy to do.

I DO NOT want to remove the existing stereo. Just a mount to go on top of it.

Any advice
    02-18-13 06:06 PM
    02-19-13 12:20 AM
    This has been done before on a car forum, just can't remember which forum it was. You can do a search online and find it though. The guy actually mounted the Playbook in the dash. Not sure about the NAVI/GPS, but the music was the topic on that particular post.
    02-19-13 10:00 AM
    GPS navigation- not sure if possible since no onboard GPS, (unless it can get location from bridge?)
    This is just plain wrong. Playbook absolutely does have onboard GPS, just not aGPS, since there's no radio antenna. This means that your GPS lock will be slower to acquire and easier to lose, but it's there.

The biggest problem you will have in using it as a dash unit is the screen timeout. RIM, in their infinite wisdom, decided that under no circumstances can the screen stay on for more than 5 minutes, either on battery or plugged in. This means that the screen will turn off-even while navigating-which can cause you to lose your route information in certain apps (i.e. sideloaded Latitude), or lose your audio stream when using Pandora, etc.

This problem has been pissing me off to no end, but our complaints seem to fall on deaf ears...
    carlyincanada likes this.
    02-20-13 02:58 PM
    The PlayBook does have onboard GPS and it does work fast but it is hard on the battery. All automotive GPS receive the lat/long location from the satellites. The maps are onboard the GPS also. All other information displayed is received by silent radio signals which are picked up by a builtin radio receiver built into the GPS unit. This information is only available in cities as opposed to out in the boonies. This information is things such as traffic speeds, accidental, slowdown, delays, construction etc. Once you leave the city this info vanishes and all you then get is the satellite location along with your onboard maps.
    I would expect that with the correct apps, and maps, the PlayBook should work much the same way as the Traffic App they have for the phones except the phones get their data over 3G, 4G etc. So what I am saying, it is theoretically possible that with the correct (non existing apps at present) apps, the PlayBook could possibly be a great GPS some day.
    02-20-13 06:40 PM
    Checkout proclipusa dot com or shopcrackberrydot com for PlayBook mounts. They'll have what you need
    02-20-13 06:45 PM
    I use my Playbook the same way in my 06 Charger with
    a pro clip usa mount dash mount with power
    a cassette to 3.5 plug for stereo yes a tape deck hard to be leave dodge still has these
    google maps 6.2.0 side loaded android app for gps
    02-20-13 08:04 PM