Hey,

I just purchased a Playbook 2 days ago and so far I absolutely love the thing!! I think its ideal the size and how non-cumbersome it is.

Now here's my question... I own a small business and do a lot of work on Excel, Outlook & my invoices are created in MS Word. I have all my clients invoices and timesheets saved on my desktop for when I need to access them. Now what I've been trying to find out is if there is anyway to get these things on the playbook? Is there a remote app that I can get into my desktop with? Is there a small memory stick slider that I can save my info from home and bring w me and plug into the PB when needed? ANY help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Willard814 likes this.
    04-20-12 08:13 AM
    There are several apps available where you can remote access your computer. I am unsure which is the best because I have not had a need but it seems like there are several good review about the Splashtop app on here
    Willard814 likes this.
    04-20-12 08:16 AM
    Perfect! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, for some reason it's like i was drawing a blank and didn't know where to start!! LOL
    herculesinwyoming likes this.
    04-20-12 08:42 AM
    Also you can create a free dropbox account, sync your desktop files and access them on your playbook through Files and Folders application. It also offers a free trial
    04-20-12 11:00 AM
    I don't know if you need to manipulate those files but if you don't then why not use the Print to go app on your Playbook? All you need to do is set it up on your computer and then "print" the files you need wirelessly to your PB. The app creates a .Pdf version of your document. I use it all the time for my business related documents in addition to the cloud option mentioned by a previous OP.
    04-20-12 11:16 AM
    Spashtop will not, I don't think, allow you to transfer files from your computer to your PB (or vice-versa), but Ghost Commander, a free app in app world, will. Whether you can open these docs on your PB is another story. If you can't, then print-to-go is the way to go.
    Last edited by pacoman03; 04-20-12 at 11:33 AM.
    04-20-12 11:30 AM
    What I've been doing is "\\*insert wifi iv4* in your windows run box. You can then drag and drop files via a virtual drive on your computer. It's a bit getting used to, but pretty simple. If I don't remember the number after "\\" it will come up as a recent program anyway.
    04-20-12 03:53 PM
    You might want to try the Microsoft 365 cloud service.

Try Office 365 for free for 30 days | Microsoft
    04-20-12 04:01 PM
    You might want to try the Microsoft 365 cloud service.

Try Office 365 for free for 30 days | Microsoft
    And depending whether you have a BlackBerry smartphone you can subscribe to the BlackBerry Business Cloud Service free of cost as part of your subscription to Microsoft Office 365. Alternatively, you could set-up a Microsoft Sharepoint Server in your office to store/retrieve your files and install the Microsoft Sharepoint client available in BlackBerry AppWorld.
    04-20-12 06:57 PM
    Perfect! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, for some reason it's like i was drawing a blank and didn't know where to start!! LOL
    It's responses like these that warm my heart. I absolutely love you guys (not the trolls) here at CrackBerry.com; such a wonderful community wealthy with information and assistance...

Ok sappy moment over. I wish your business much success Jiggaman!
    eternalemb, Creaulx, Hamp and 3 others like this.
    04-20-12 07:01 PM
    I have been using the Splashtop app. Seems to be doing the trick for me.
    I still wish I could print from my PB to my bluetooth printer though.
    04-20-12 07:33 PM
    Splashtop seems to be the way to go so first thing in the am I'll download and set it up for my week to come.

Thanks all for your contributions.
    04-20-12 11:14 PM
    After you setup Splashtop and if you find you need a copy of a document that is on your computer to be on your playbook. You could use splashtop to access your email client on desktop/laptop and email a copy of said document to yourself and download it to playbook.
    Willard814 likes this.
    04-21-12 12:18 AM
    I second print to go, as long as you only need to read and not manipulate the files, print to go works great.
    04-21-12 07:09 AM
    Splashtop seems to be the way to go so first thing in the am I'll download and set it up for my week to come.

Thanks all for your contributions.
    Splashtop is a good program, but what it does is it streams the desktop of your PC to your PB. You can use it, for example, to view a video on your PC and simultaneously see what's streaming on your PC on your PB. What you can't do with it, is transfer files from your PC to your PB. To those who are claiming otherwise, I'd like them to explain how they do this with splashtop. Now there are apps for the playbook which will allow you to transfer files, or you can transfer files with no apps at all on your PB. As I said, splashtop is a good program, but I don't want to see you pay for an app and then find out that it won't do what you want it to do.
    Willard814 likes this.
    04-21-12 07:23 AM
    I keep a lot of files I may want on my playbook on box.net. They give you a free 50gb account so you can store a lot there.

I store my ebooks, music, and all my business embroidery designs.

So when out and about I stop at any wifi hotspot and download the files I need from box.net right to my playbook.
    04-21-12 09:08 AM
    I also run a small business and I am also on the road a lot and need access to my files from my computer at home. what works great in my situation is sugar sync, very similar to brop box, but they give you 5G for free. Once the pc program is installed on your computer, you simply direct it to what folder you want to sync with their cloud service. Once that is completed, the best app I found that compliments access to sugar sync (and other services mentioned in this thread) is Files & Folders. It is similar to windows explorer, and can do zip files. But the big reason I found it most effective on the road is that it is a native app and allows access to the cloud service through b.b. bridge when there is no wifi. It did cost $1.99 though, but way worth it for my situation. Any way good luck, hope that helps.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5
    04-21-12 03:52 PM
    I second print to go, as long as you only need to read and not manipulate the files, print to go works great.
    Most def will need to manipulate certain files, I'm LOVING all the options that I have though with this pb!
    04-23-12 09:11 AM
    Splashtop is a good program, but what it does is it streams the desktop of your PC to your PB. You can use it, for example, to view a video on your PC and simultaneously see what's streaming on your PC on your PB. What you can't do with it, is transfer files from your PC to your PB. To those who are claiming otherwise, I'd like them to explain how they do this with splashtop. Now there are apps for the playbook which will allow you to transfer files, or you can transfer files with no apps at all on your PB. As I said, splashtop is a good program, but I don't want to see you pay for an app and then find out that it won't do what you want it to do.
    Thanks for the info!! I know I said that I was going to download it but have been quite busy this morning so I haven't pulled the trigger (good thing!) I'm learning so much about this thing through you guys.
    EricB1968 likes this.
    04-23-12 12:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD