Staples Canada has the BlackBerry PlayBook (16GB - CAD99.00, 32GB - CAD118.00, and 74GB - CAD219.00). Clearance before the next earnings report?
    Staples shows out of stock.
    09-12-12 09:55 AM
    How can they sell what they don't have.
    09-12-12 09:57 AM
    Ouch! That hurts.

Those that paid $499 and $699 only a year ago.

Tim
    09-12-12 10:16 AM
    Why hunt around looking for in-store stock (that isn't someone else's open box return) when you can order a brand new one online and have it delivered for free to your Walmart or Staples store of choice?
    Walmart is not selling the 16g or 32g online. Staples online is sold out of the 32g as is Best Buy.ca and FutureShop.ca

I bought an open box 32g (for a friend) last night at one of two Staples stores in Toronto who had a couple left. The guy at Midland/Steeles store had several last night. He told me that every single Playbook his store ever sold was returned. That's astounding, if true.

And yet, I can understand. The Playbook is not easily set up (Getting her Blackberry ID registered took a phone call and 30 minutes). I've learned, from one bitter experience, not to trust that OS updates are not always reliable and good. I bet the original owner had some issue with an update and just gave up. If I were CEO of RIM, I'd be mortified and concerned by the uneven performance of his software quality testers. A bad experience with one RIM product deters a customer from buying another. The Playbook has truly been a disastrous ambassador for RIM.

I've charged up the one I bought last night, updated the software and played with it a bit. Seems OK so far. The real test will be when the calendar and email programs are set up. Will they work right? Will the battery consumption be reasonable? Will the unit shut on and off randomly (one of the problems customers complained about at Staples)?

I will help my friend with it on the weekend and her level of satisfaction will determine whether she keeps it or not. I've got a 16G one and am happy and use mine daily. I am a couple of software updates behind, deliberately. Everything is working well and I don't want to risk updating, given the experiences of some others on the board.

I will have a chance, now, to see what differences there are between her OS and mine (besides the addition of the video store -- no great loss for me).
    09-12-12 10:29 AM
    Walmart Canada had the 32GB online yesterday. Perhaps it was taken down in advance of its big $118 sale on Friday. It'll be interesting to see if it reappears online early Friday---or if this fire sale is the signal that WM (and perhaps Staples as well) is finally done with the PB taking up valuable warehouse and shelf space.

However, the fact that Staples sold out online today in a matter of hours, shows that there is still plenty of demand, despite RIM's reputation. Those who know, know that the PB is a tremendous bargain at these price levels.
    09-12-12 11:46 AM
    Walmart will credit back the difference to you. Just bring in the receipt as it is within a week or so from the $148 sale

Hey thanks ill try, can I go now or does it have to be the day of the sale?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-12-12 12:02 PM
    Staples never had any on line last night. OUt of Stock
    09-12-12 12:08 PM
    When I bought my 32gb this week there were 22 people in line and they only had 15 in stock.

As for setting it up, it was a breeze, took me 5 minutes. Swipe left, pick language/country, put in wifi password, use the tutorial and done. If you have issues with that im not sure you should be using any electronics.

lol.

Graheem likes this.
    09-12-12 12:31 PM
    The blood-letting continues despite the fact Research In Motion could capitalize on these sales by releasing BlackBerry Tablet OS 2.1 on Tuesday, 18 September 2012, and announce its pending release on Thursday, 13 September 2012. How many WiFi BlackBerry PlayBooks remain unsold as of Monday, 10 September 2012? And they expect the 4G/LTE BlackBerry PlayBook to face a different fate? Who in Hades is in charge? Oh, I get it...Satan, or Lucifer if you prefer, must be orchestrating this fiasco. What's that you say? Nero is accompanying you on fiddle?
    you know i do not get it what your problem is exactly. the inventory has been written down long time ago. so this is not like rim is taking another hit. everyone knows that previous management butchered launch of otherwise technically good tablet. i've read somewhere that about 4 millions tablets were ordered by rim. i would guess that most of the tablets are sold out. it also seems to me that many non-blackberry users do buy this tablet despite not owning bb phone and this is because of the low prices. It also seems to me that many do like it and some are outright surprised how good this little tablet is. rim is continiously developing the tablet. so it seems to me that once bb10 is launched early next year many non-blackberry users might consider buying bb10 phone if they like playbook. so again what is not to like about. would you rather see the tablet at full price and later find them trashed in the garbage or something. i am happy. i paid $300 for 64Gb last year and i do not cry foul because now same tablet is worth $100 less. i am happy that more people jump the fence and get this awesome device. the more tablets are sold, the more apps are in the app store so i am happy. and so should you. and if you want 2.1 so much just download beta. i've been running 2.1 beta for last few months and i would never say it is beta. it is very stable and works very well.
    alan510 and Graheem like this.
    09-12-12 12:59 PM
    When I bought my 32gb this week there were 22 people in line and they only had 15 in stock.

As for setting it up, it was a breeze, took me 5 minutes. Swipe left, pick language/country, put in wifi password, use the tutorial and done. If you have issues with that im not sure you should be using any electronics.

lol.

I am having issues at the input password part lol. It just won't go beyond that!

Edit: Nvm, I got the !
    Last edited by BoldPreza; 09-12-12 at 01:31 PM.
    09-12-12 01:04 PM
    However, the fact that Staples sold out online today in a matter of hours, shows that there is still plenty of demand, despite RIM's reputation. Those who know, know that the PB is a tremendous bargain at these price levels.
    Not necessarily true. The Staples inventory for the BlackBerry PlayBook might have been only 5 total across the three memory capacities. These sold out in a few hours at the heavily discounted prices thereby creating the illusion of high demand. I am not trying to be negative but rather just pointing out an possible scenario. Alternatively, Research In Motion wants all tablets sold off as they prepare to abandon it in 2013 given the obvious problems bringing BlackBerry 10 to the platform. If BlackBerry 10 was working with the BlackBerry PlayBook, you would think it would be released in an attempt to built marketing excitement for the BlackBerry 10 smartphones.
    09-12-12 01:13 PM
    you know i do not get it what your problem is exactly.
    Hey I use my BlackBerry PlayBook for professional tasks every day so there is no need to lecture me on its functionality. But I refuse to drink the BlackBerry Punch; the kick to the groin was bad enough as the price was cut from April 2011 levels only a few months later and the decline continues. I was simply pointing out a possible explanation for this final push to clear inventory. After 18 months the original production run should have been exhausted already.

Now let's go outdoors and play in the sunshine.
    09-12-12 01:20 PM
    Hey I use my BlackBerry PlayBook for professional tasks every day so there is no need to lecture me on its functionality. But I refuse to drink the BlackBerry Punch; the kick to the groin was bad enough as the price was cut from April 2011 levels only a few months later and the decline continues. I was simply pointing out a possible explanation for this final push to clear inventory. After 18 months the original production run should have been exhausted already.

Now let's go outdoors and play in the sunshine.
    no other tablets sell as good as ipad so this is not the case that rim is alone with this.
    09-12-12 01:24 PM
    While my experience setting up numerous BlackBerry PlayBooks has been smooth and flawless, sometimes there are issues beyond a person's control such as the update server cannot service the request at the time, the WiFi router or access point is not fully compatible with the TCP/IP stack included with the BlackBerry PlayBook, or a random glitch surfaced akin to the 2.0.1.668 update which affected some tablets but not others. The infuriating part of the set-up process was waiting for the tablet to boot-up.
    09-12-12 01:26 PM
    yeah, duh, WM will just refund the dif.
    09-12-12 01:37 PM
    no other tablets sell as good as ipad so this is not the case that rim is alone with this.
    Quite right. However, RIM management must have thought the BlackBerry PlayBook would sell exceedingly well but dropped the ball on the marketing stage of the product development strategy phase. The Apple iPad sells because of the brand name and its perceived value. Unfortunately, the BlackBerry brand faded from its highly-esteemed prominence after years of stagnation and the BlackBerry PlayBook is a casualty. Even today, there is little marketing for the BlackBerry products.

Let me give you an example how the BlackBerry PlayBook could have been marketed to the investment banking industry. The highly-regulated investment banking industry requires strict controls on the dissemination of information via email; most of the investment banking community use BlackBerry smartphones and the BlackBerry Enterprise Server for mobile messaging thereby complementing the existing auditable email system usually running Microsoft Exchange Server and a third-party archiving system. The tablet is an extension of the BlackBerry smartphone capability providing access to email via BlackBerry Bridge so no email is stored on the tablet hence reducing a vector of information leakage. The 7-inch form factor is easy to hold in one hand while manipulating the user interface with the other hand. The investment information displayed on the desktop computer could be replicated to the tablet especially if presented via the web browser. An the list goes on. RIM failed to seize the opportunity to market to specific user groups as an avenue to selling their new product.
    09-12-12 01:41 PM
    Walmart is not selling the 16g or 32g online. Staples online is sold out of the 32g as is Best Buy.ca and FutureShop.ca

I bought an open box 32g (for a friend) last night at one of two Staples stores in Toronto who had a couple left. The guy at Midland/Steeles store had several last night. He told me that every single Playbook his store ever sold was returned. That's astounding, if true.

And yet, I can understand. The Playbook is not easily set up (Getting her Blackberry ID registered took a phone call and 30 minutes). I've learned, from one bitter experience, not to trust that OS updates are not always reliable and good. I bet the original owner had some issue with an update and just gave up. If I were CEO of RIM, I'd be mortified and concerned by the uneven performance of his software quality testers. A bad experience with one RIM product deters a customer from buying another. The Playbook has truly been a disastrous ambassador for RIM.

I've charged up the one I bought last night, updated the software and played with it a bit. Seems OK so far. The real test will be when the calendar and email programs are set up. Will they work right? Will the battery consumption be reasonable? Will the unit shut on and off randomly (one of the problems customers complained about at Staples)?

I will help my friend with it on the weekend and her level of satisfaction will determine whether she keeps it or not. I've got a 16G one and am happy and use mine daily. I am a couple of software updates behind, deliberately. Everything is working well and I don't want to risk updating, given the experiences of some others on the board.

I will have a chance, now, to see what differences there are between her OS and mine (besides the addition of the video store -- no great loss for me).
    I've purchased 3 of these, and setup 4 (incl a work one) and not one issue. Hard to setup? What BS. No calls to support, no issues. All 4 easily setup with latest 2.1 beta, rocking lots of great PB and Android apps. Awesome pricing. Might have to grab another for my 7 yr old too (he loves lots of games on the PB).
    09-12-12 01:42 PM

As for setting it up, it was a breeze, took me 5 minutes. .. If you have issues with that im not sure you should be using any electronics.

lol.

Oh, I didn't have issues; Blackberry Support did. They were sending out emails that told people their time had expired to register Blackberry IDs (you're given24 hours to respond; we responded within 5 minutes...) Then the customer support rep took 30 minutes to figure out a workaround.

Setting up my own PB last October was easy peasy. My point is that it's a crap shoot and consumers who are not tech savvy are likely to return a product they have trouble getting to work right.

Are you always so gratuitously rude to people you've never met? If you have issues like that, you shouldn't be posting in a forum. lol
    09-12-12 01:46 PM
    Thought I got a good deal 6 mths ago 16g, cradle rapid charger, bb zipper case 199bux
    At staples thought the gods were smiling that day! If I can get another 16g or better for
    100bux or so in the next few mths I"ll get another for sure it's insane not to lol!
    09-12-12 02:16 PM
    Quite right. However, RIM management must have thought the BlackBerry PlayBook would sell exceedingly well but dropped the ball on the marketing stage of the product development strategy phase. The Apple iPad sells because of the brand name and its perceived value. Unfortunately, the BlackBerry brand faded from its highly-esteemed prominence after years of stagnation and the BlackBerry PlayBook is a casualty. Even today, there is little marketing for the BlackBerry products.

Let me give you an example how the BlackBerry PlayBook could have been marketed to the investment banking industry. The highly-regulated investment banking industry requires strict controls on the dissemination of information via email; most of the investment banking community use BlackBerry smartphones and the BlackBerry Enterprise Server for mobile messaging thereby complementing the existing auditable email system usually running Microsoft Exchange Server and a third-party archiving system. The tablet is an extension of the BlackBerry smartphone capability providing access to email via BlackBerry Bridge so no email is stored on the tablet hence reducing a vector of information leakage. The 7-inch form factor is easy to hold in one hand while manipulating the user interface with the other hand. The investment information displayed on the desktop computer could be replicated to the tablet especially if presented via the web browser. An the list goes on. RIM failed to seize the opportunity to market to specific user groups as an avenue to selling their new product.
    thus the new CEO and management.
    09-12-12 02:17 PM
    Not necessarily true. The Staples inventory for the BlackBerry PlayBook might have been only 5 total across the three memory capacities. These sold out in a few hours at the heavily discounted prices thereby creating the illusion of high demand. I am not trying to be negative but rather just pointing out an possible scenario. Alternatively, Research In Motion wants all tablets sold off as they prepare to abandon it in 2013 given the obvious problems bringing BlackBerry 10 to the platform. If BlackBerry 10 was working with the BlackBerry PlayBook, you would think it would be released in an attempt to built marketing excitement for the BlackBerry 10 smartphones.
    There is already speculation on twitter and from some business/technology commentators in Vancouver that the price drops you are seeing for the Playbook across Canada are indications that RIM is preparing to abandon the Playbook soon. I hope that this is not the case, but there is danger in lowering the prices to the $99 price mark; the public, and commentators, assume that this price means that it's game over for the Playbook.
    09-12-12 02:20 PM
    Dang I just bought a 32gb for 148 from walmart... what to do?

I had bought 2 32GB playbooks from Walmart at what I thought was a good price of $148. 5 days ago.. Saw the new price at Staples today, printed off the web page, took it to Walmart with my receipt and even though they were out now I got them to refund the diff of $30 on both... Good deal..
    Cracklen likes this.
    09-12-12 02:41 PM
    Just did the same got the refund, $30. If you check staples the 32gb is now in stock on line.
    09-12-12 03:13 PM
    It is now out of stock at staples 32gb for $118 and 16 gb for $99.
    09-12-12 03:17 PM
    $99 for 16g and $118 for 32g at Staples in province of Quebec.
    09-12-12 06:13 PM
72 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD