Not necessarily true. The Staples inventory for the BlackBerry PlayBook might have been only 5 total across the three memory capacities. These sold out in a few hours at the heavily discounted prices thereby creating the illusion of high demand. I.
    I posted first in another thread about the 99 staples price, and then posted about this just now. Yes, it is a VERY common Staples tactic. As a tech bargain hunter, I've seen this countless times from Staples....they sell out nearly immediately. It seems to be a ploy to get attention often, or clear out the last remnants of an item.

The nice thing is that it sometimes gets others to drop their prices, especially those who price match; although for many of those stores, they specify the item must be in stock for them to price match. So if they don't drop their price to match, one may not be able to get a price match, if Staples is showing OOS.
    09-12-12 06:21 PM
    There is already speculation on twitter and from some business/technology commentators in Vancouver that the price drops you are seeing for the Playbook across Canada are indications that RIM is preparing to abandon the Playbook soon. I hope that this is not the case, but there is danger in lowering the prices to the $99 price mark; the public, and commentators, assume that this price means that it's game over for the Playbook.
    They wouldn't release the Playbook LTE just to abandon the whole thing. I highly doubt that is the case. Another, more possible scenario, is to get as many playbook into people's hands in order to introduce the BB10 OS to the masses when the system is released next year. If I remember correctly (and I could certainly be wrong), but playbook owners will most likely get to update to BB10 when it's available.

Or they just want to clear out this set because they do have the LTE version out.

Either case, I'm getting a 32 GB so that I can video chat with my family (my sister already has another 32 GB back when it was $249). But I am thinking of getting the 64 GB at $219 - your advice, is it worth it or is the 32 GB deal better?
    Last edited by DuexNoir; 09-12-12 at 07:08 PM.
    09-12-12 07:04 PM
    Pretty soon they will be giving them away if you buy $100 worth of groceries.
    Cracklen likes this.
    09-12-12 07:43 PM
    I think rim is trying to deplete all inventory of the current wifi pb. The sooner the better and here is why.
    1) Public perception is that the pb is a $200 tablet. It must be a cheap product because of it.
    2) ppl are saying the 4g version is too expensive compare to the wifi version.
    3) rim needs to make a profit on the tablets. So they will probably release a new pb after bb10 with upgraded specs and raise the price to a profitable level. Hopefully the consumers would have forgotten about the 200 pb1. My bet would be a bigger wifi version at first.
    09-12-12 07:58 PM
    I went to Staples today to get the difference back, I was actually going to pick one more up for the family and they were sold out Went to Walmart, they are all sold out, same with the Source. Maybe one of the stores will get more stock. It's crazy because Walmart was setting up the other items that are on sale and yet they will have zero PlayBook.
    09-12-12 08:30 PM
    They wouldn't release the Playbook LTE just to abandon the whole thing. I highly doubt that is the case. Another, more possible scenario, is to get as many playbook into people's hands in order to introduce the BB10 OS to the masses when the system is released next year. If I remember correctly (and I could certainly be wrong), but playbook owners will most likely get to update to BB10 when it's available.

Or they just want to clear out this set because they do have the LTE version out.

Either case, I'm getting a 32 GB so that I can video chat with my family (my sister already has another 32 GB back when it was $249). But I am thinking of getting the 64 GB at $219 - your advice, is it worth it or is the 32 GB deal better?
    I agree with you; I dont think that RIM has any intention of abandoning the Playbook. I'm more concerned that as the price drops, individuals on the part the media, tech blogs, and twitter commentators, are assuming that its because RIM has given up on the tablet market - and its those comments, once unleashed, that are going to be very hard to to stop. The last thing RIM needs right now, in terms of the Playbook, is for the general consumer to think that RIM has given up on the Playbook because the prices are so low.

Oh, as to your question about which deal is better. In all honesty, I would go for the 64 gig version. I have that and absolutely love it in terms of size as I don't really need to worry about deleting music/videos off of it as I would have to do with a smaller unit. And compared to the price I paid on launch day, $210 is an absolute steal of deal. Get the 64 gig version for sure.
    09-12-12 08:38 PM
    There is already speculation on twitter and from some business/technology commentators in Vancouver that the price drops you are seeing for the Playbook across Canada are indications that RIM is preparing to abandon the Playbook soon. I hope that this is not the case, but there is danger in lowering the prices to the $99 price mark; the public, and commentators, assume that this price means that it's game over for the Playbook.
    They just need to tell everyone that if they sit on the shelves any longer before being charged up otherwise they won't accept a charge. Of course that might give a few people the wrong idea, but it's better than the misinterpretation you're suggesting.
    09-12-12 10:17 PM
    I would bet they are introducing a new wifi Playbook with the dual core 1.5ghz processors and NFC like the LTE version at BB Jam Americas at the end of the month, so they're clearing out the remaining stock.

And will introduce PB OS 2.1 at the same time with SMS bridging among other things, big Thor is doing the keynote so he has to have something to introduce

Just a guess though.
    Last edited by BBOttawa; 09-12-12 at 10:34 PM.
    09-12-12 10:30 PM
    If RIM abandons the PlayBook, I will abandon RIM.
    09-12-12 11:17 PM
    If they were to introduce another wifi playbook in this year, they will have to sell it below cost again. They might not even get 200 for it.
    09-12-12 11:20 PM
    Ouch! That hurts.

Those that paid $499 and $699 only a year ago.

Tim
    Can't speak for everyone that bought a PlayBook on the day it launched but I really dont mind that I paid full price for my first PlayBook.. I most likely would do it again & although it was severely lacking in all departments compared to what a great tablet it has become I liked it from the moment I opened the box...
    09-12-12 11:47 PM
    If RIM abandons the PlayBook, I will abandon RIM.
    RIM abandoning the PlayBook? Where do you guys think this stuff up? They just released a 4G LTE version, There's talks of a 10" PlayBook coming in the future & they also confirmed the PlayBook would upgrade to BB10..
    Unless some crazy SH!T happens & they go under which personally don't think will happen RIM will not be abandoning the PlayBook.. If they were gonna do anything like that I think it wouldve been done by now but no I don't see anything like that happening anytime in the near future or at all
    Maybe when BB11 is released we'll see a totally new revamped PlayBook which would be awesome
    09-12-12 11:54 PM
    Thats crazy i think i paid 299 for my 32GB 4 or 5 months ago. Brand new from best buy
    09-13-12 12:59 AM
    If they were to introduce another wifi playbook in this year, they will have to sell it below cost again. They might not even get 200 for it.
    Yeah, they need to build BB10 first with phones. They can give another shot at it in 2014.
    09-13-12 07:43 AM
    Dang I just bought a 32gb for 148 from walmart... what to do?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    How long ago did you buy it from Walmart? I just check the Walmart site and they are selling the 16G for $189.
    09-13-12 09:22 AM
    How long ago did you buy it from Walmart? I just check the Walmart site and they are selling the 16G for $189.
    Check the thread title: Canada only. Prices much different on walmart.ca.
    09-13-12 09:39 AM
    I thought the Playbook was easy to set-up.

I did have a couple of issues with the device though. The native you tube app on the home never played video, always had to go to the web version. Secondly, setting up a home Telus email account. I was having major problems trying to get it working with no success. So, if someone can steer me in the right direction on how to easily get my Telus email account set up, I may give the Playbook another shot.

The app gap is closing between iOS/Android and the App World.
    09-13-12 09:56 AM
    I Went to Staples today to check stock...sold out, but they took an order and my cash. 2-3 weeks delivery with guaranteed price.

Sounds like a fire sale my friends.
    09-13-12 01:39 PM
    So why would rim bother with releasing lte version just few weeks ago?

I would bet they are introducing a new wifi Playbook with the dual core 1.5ghz processors and NFC like the LTE version at BB Jam Americas at the end of the month, so they're clearing out the remaining stock.

And will introduce PB OS 2.1 at the same time with SMS bridging among other things, big Thor is doing the keynote so he has to have something to introduce

Just a guess though.
    See and this is the thinking I like

Competition is stiff. Perhaps having two high end and low end version would be good strategy.
    09-15-12 02:59 AM
    I purchased 2 32gb playbooks, one 16, and I have 2 walmart raincheques for a couple more 32gb models when they get more stock in a week or two

the 16gb *may* be up for sale soon as I don't need them all (I don't think..). 1 for me, 1 for gf, 1 for my mom, 1 for my sis' bday, and I'm unsure about the last 16gb pb at this point...

I went to a ton of stores today and got lucky finding stock and pricematching
    09-15-12 03:48 AM
    They can give you $ 148 back, but may not resell it, until it was officially re-shelved overnight. No man can understand the lure that Women Brown Leather Flap Handbags have to a lady. They are just simply adorable that a woman simply can't resist the temptation not to have best cwmalls.com Python Embossed Leather Shoulder Bags which looks so charming.
    Last edited by infoleather; 09-21-12 at 10:18 PM.
    09-16-12 11:58 PM
    Thanks a lot guys. Got mine at The Source for $118. Picking it up in a few days.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    09-17-12 01:02 AM
72 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD