Wireless streaming?
    Support for external storage??
    No video store in Canada???

What the heck?

I do hope that this is not the exhaustive list of changes and that more stuff will be included, now and in the future. Also, no video store in Canada? Why???
    Last edited by dejanh; 01-09-12 at 02:14 PM.
    01-09-12 02:11 PM
    Wireless streaming?

What the heck?

I do hope that this is not the exhaustive list of changes and that more stuff will be included, now and in the future. Also, no video store in Canada? Why???
    Is that official? I mean, those are not small changes. No video store in Canada would definitely be a bummer.
    01-09-12 02:18 PM
    I'm going to have to ditch the iPhone 4S as soon as the BB London comes out.

P.S. my playbook is scheduled to arrive in a couple hours, I'm excited!
    Welp, I got it - and it rocks when it is on a flat surface (before I even booted it up) and has a stuck pixel. Not sure if I should send it back. Wish I could take it to a local store to switch out =/

Got it from ShopBlackberry.
    01-09-12 02:40 PM
    Oh really? Then why does it need an Android player instead of playing natively? Unless the app has been re-written with the native tools, it's still an Android app...
    Not true, actually. In most cases the "compiled" APK just has to go through a simple conversion process to become a BAR file.

Dozens of third-party APKs have been converted to BARs by our own user community with no re-coding required. The IMDB app, for instance, works seamlessly, even though IMDB didn't authorize the conversion.

However, I agree with everything you said before. On the consumer level, RIM's intention is to make it as seamless as possible. You download an android app, just like any other app in App World. You launch it just like any other app on your Playbook. I would like to see the final Android Player in action. If they could get the UI inside the android player to match the PB's native UI, the consumer will never be able to tell the difference.
    The integration level in the Developer Preview is pretty impressive; the app gets its own launch icon just like any "native" app. The very few differences do little to hurt usability.
    DeeLishusOne likes this.
    01-09-12 02:44 PM
    Wireless streaming?

What the heck?

As has been noted elsewhere, this likely isn't an exhaustive list of changes.

As for the video store, that goes back to the fact that distribution deals for films differ by country. Whoever is providing the movies needs to secure rights in each country, and that can take time.
    01-09-12 02:47 PM
    I'm 99.9999999999999% sure they just omitted it from the press release because it's boring/standard with other tablets and they don't wanna look behind the times. That's probably why they didn't mention A2DP as well. Even though A2DP is already present in the current build of the 2.0 beta.

I'm not trying to be critical, but this makes sense from a business perspective. Either way the features look awesome and I can't wait!
    Yes, it is a press release not a detailed list of specifications!
    01-09-12 03:07 PM
    Welp, I got it - and it rocks when it is on a flat surface (before I even booted it up) and has a stuck pixel. Not sure if I should send it back. Wish I could take it to a local store to switch out =/

Got it from ShopBlackberry.
    Edit: also has a flush power button
    01-09-12 03:09 PM
    how about they get this stuff running on the new line of phones in february instead of releasing what the playbook should have had out of the factory originally
    01-09-12 03:20 PM
    wait so my playbook is getting natice email.......YAY!!!
    also why would blackberry first release their video store in US only? that means they wont be able to use it themselves since their headquarter is in Waterloo, Ontario
    01-09-12 03:47 PM
    wait so my playbook is getting natice email.......YAY!!!
    also why would blackberry first release their video store in US only? that means they wont be able to use it themselves since their headquarter is in Waterloo, Ontario
    haha... good point. I'm guessing its a 'rights' issue. Probably have to work out the programing rights for each individual country.
    01-09-12 04:01 PM
    how about they get this stuff running on the new line of phones in february instead of releasing what the playbook should have had out of the factory originally
    If only they had worked on some sort of testbed for the software for the new phones instead of making a tablet...

Why do I get the feeling that if it had everything and came out yesterday, you'd still find some faults?
    DPSydBerry, Snap51, CDM76 and 3 others like this.
    01-09-12 04:09 PM
    Maybe it is the lawyer in me, but I couldn't help noticing that the press release stated that OS 2.0 "is expected to be" released in February. I was filled with immediate disquiet; that wasn't exactly a confident pronouncement.
    gschep likes this.
    01-09-12 04:12 PM
    Any news on the FM radio chip in the playbook. They came out today with a new FM radio app for phones.
    ralfyguy likes this.
    01-09-12 04:29 PM
    Edit: also has a flush power button
    What's the build/packaging date on the box? DDMMYY.
    01-09-12 04:36 PM
    Maybe it is the lawyer in me, but I couldn't help noticing that the press release stated that OS 2.0 "is expected to be" released in February. I was filled with immediate disquiet; that wasn't exactly a confident pronouncement.
    Another lawyer, not you, probably felt it was a good idea for all press releases.
    01-09-12 04:37 PM
    So this is all good news and people can't seem to just enjoy the fact that this update is going to be the BEES KNEES! And we should all bask in the glow of actual positive change, not to mention, a higher quality experience on our already great Playbook tablets.
    Which would have delayed its rollout even further, inevitably resulting in a level of ******** thelikes of which would be unheard of even here at CrackBerry. As you noted, market share is eroding fastest in NA; it only makes sense to roll it out here first if it can't go out everywhere right away.
    netfix and hulu were same way when 1st came out. Due to copyright laws. I suspect if it takes off in USA then it will be expanded.
    keith1000 likes this.
    01-09-12 04:38 PM

Id like hulu,netflix, and 5 more of them
    But today I will settle,

for a new BBM.
    Re BBM. Not gonna happen.

Oct 25, 2011
    An Update on BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0

"As much as we�d love to have it in your hands today, we�ve made the difficult decision to wait to launch BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0 until we are confident we have fully met the expectations of our developers, enterprise customers and end-users. And here�s what we�re doing to accomplish that.

*******First off, we have decided to defer the inclusion of the BBM� application to a subsequent BlackBerry PlayBook OS release.********

We are committed to developing a seamless BBM solution that fully delivers on the powerful, push based messaging capabilities recognized today by BlackBerry� users around the world and we�re still working on it."
    An Update on BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0 �Inside BlackBerry - The Official BlackBerry Blog

Still working on it...
    01-09-12 04:56 PM
    Any news on the FM radio chip in the playbook. They came out today with a new FM radio app for phones.
    Does the playbook have an fm chip? First I'm hearing of it.
    Enth likes this.
    01-09-12 04:58 PM
    Does the playbook have an fm chip? First I'm hearing of it.
    Yes but probably not in the sense we might wish it to be used - it has a chip capable of transmission/reception over the FM band - packaged with GPS, wifi, bluetooth, which is why the chip was selected - its small and has a lot of stuff -

The FM transceiver I don't believe contains a tuner/demodulator required for audio from an FM (radio) source - the tx/rx is intended for data transmission over the FM band I believe - just because it is there does not indicate that it is utilized.

I could be corrected but that is my understanding.

Related stuff:

http://sinfulandroid.com/application...-android-5562/

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=13385163

TI makes single chip with Bluetooth, FM, GPS and Wi-Fi | Electronista
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 01-09-12 at 05:30 PM.
    01-09-12 05:22 PM
    Re BBM. Not gonna happen.
    This is only an issue for those who don't have BB phones. I don't blame RIM for not giving it priority.
    01-09-12 05:29 PM
    looks like chrismas pt 2 today.
    All good stuff. Any sign of DLNA
    01-09-12 05:30 PM
    This is only an issue for those who don't have BB phones. I don't blame RIM for not giving it priority.
    BBM is intended for highly secure corporate communications.

Too many security concerns for RIM to break it's neck supporting it on other platforms.
    BB.Forever likes this.
    01-09-12 05:32 PM
    Wow! In the Feb OS2 release, its going to feel like I got a brand new PB tablet and need to check out all the new features, short cuts and options. An upgrade of this magnitude is probably rare in the tech world for a nearly year-old tablet and will boost interest in BB phones and tablets for 2012 and on. The beta testers will finally be rewarded.
    Alex_Hong and spike12 like this.
    01-09-12 05:42 PM
    Android app support will never be mentioned in material for the consumer. It would cause to much confusion and raise to many questions (most people would think they would have access to all android apps and the android market). You will only ever see the word "Android" at developer conferences, and in other developer material.

After all, once it's converted and running on the PlayBook, it's no longer an Android app.
    Yes, this is a really important fact that we have to educate our friends and family about. Talking to a rather technical friend I was surprised, he thought with the OS 2 update he'd have access to basically everything in the Android Marketplace. Which isn't the case, Android support allows app owners (the guys who program and sell the apps) to repackage their Android app so it can run in the Android App player within the playbook with minimal changes. The app owner needs to do this, and make it available in the App World (os 2.0 doesn't add Android Market Place itself!).

We'll probably see a healthy increase of apps, but we have to keep the expectations reasonable!
    01-09-12 05:53 PM
    haha... good point. I'm guessing its a 'rights' issue. Probably have to work out the programing rights for each individual country.
    This is definitely the case, anyone in Canada who had netflix when it came out can attest to this. The catalogue was terrible and still no where as good as the US. Content providers are a lot more careful too, netflix early days of cheap content deals are over. It take time and money to get it done now.
    01-09-12 06:09 PM
181 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD