Gauche to respond to my own post I know, but looks like my crystal ball wasn't so dusty after all.
    Jan 10 Verge review:
    "While this OS update fills in many of the PlayBook's gaps, there are still a few big-ticket items missing. The largest of course is BBM, which is "still being perfected" for the tablet's big screen (and can still be used via BlackBerry Bridge). I personally don't see the point of needing the service on a device that isn't necessarily always on your person, but it'd be nice to have another chat option. The other missing item is true BES support, though BlackBerry Mobile Fusion is an ActiveSync solution that delivers the same functionality with equivalent encryption.

I'm intrigued by what RIM has managed to accomplish with this software release, though I can't help but feel that it may be too little, too late. When I asked about the current number of apps in BlackBerry App World, I couldn't squeeze a figure out of the RIM reps � though they did remind me of new releases like the venerable Angry Birds and more upcoming titles from EA. The PlayBook has an uphill battle ahead of it in a world dominated by the iPad and Android offerings), so it'll be interesting to see if this update manages to make any major changes in terms of the device's appeal. One thing is for sure, however: if RIM doesn't meet its self-imposed February deadline, it risks losing the few PlayBook owners who have staved out hope for the platform this long."

BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0: hands-on impressions, pictures, and video | The Verge
    Well, being left handed it will be less gauche for me to reply. I think from what I saw, OS2 really is intended to get this thing into businesses. As a personal user, some of those calendaring/contact things will be overkill for me but I could see corporate eating them up. Android apps should take care of app-crazed consumers. At least, that would be my very quick and unstudied take on things.
    01-10-12 06:28 PM
    Netflix. I am disappointed there is no mention of getting a Netflix app or a Netflix-compatible browser. This is something that does matter to a lot of potential buyers.
    Why not just use the Android Netflix app. For sure that will be available in App World right?
    01-10-12 11:23 PM
    Android apps should take care of app-crazed consumers. At least, that would be my very quick and unstudied take on things.
    I suppose it will for some, but having looked through the first 160 that is listed under Handster, I couldn't help but think to myself who the heck actually buys these apps. Granted everyone's tastes vary, but I didn't see anything I would consider to be quality.
    01-11-12 12:01 AM
    Here's my not so enthusiastic take on the disclosures so far:

Using a BB phone as a remote is not something that appeals to me, nor will it grab the imagination of most potential Playbook owners who, like me, do not have a BB phone. Same goes for increased integration with BB phones in other areas. So, no real marketing points. RIM probably disagrees with me on this one , as it obviously is still thinking in terms of an enterprise solution.

Video store. Now, that's interesting. I remain skeptical that it's possible for RIM to suddenly become a major media content provider; but if it does, that would be great, as that would give RIM something with which to leverage the Playbook price point, not to mention the attraction to buyers of being able to directly download content to the tablet.
    You've said a few times that you think most potential PB owners don't have a BB. In broad terms, if we assume anyone is a potential owner, that would be true. But in specifics of defining market segments, I'm sure RIM wants to at least capture current BB owners as the low hanging fruit by giving them something in the PB they won't get with other devices. Not only that, but we've already seen plenty of comments on the forums from people who own a PB but not a BB now saying they might buy a BB, a great result for RIM (they might make back some money on those discounted PB sales!).

I'd also speculate that a significant % of owners who actually consider the purchase of a PB also have a BB. I know I only looked at the PB because I have a BB, otherwise I would have defaulted to an iPad. Even then, because I bought my PB just after launch, it was a tough choice, whereas with the enhancements to bridge (remote, send to PB) coming in OS2 it would have been a no-brainer.
    01-11-12 01:19 AM
    I'd also speculate that a significant % of owners who actually consider the purchase of a PB also have a BB. I know I only looked at the PB because I have a BB, otherwise I would have defaulted to an iPad. Even then, because I bought my PB just after launch, it was a tough choice, whereas with the enhancements to bridge (remote, send to PB) coming in OS2 it would have been a no-brainer.
    I looked at the Playbook simply because I had a Blackberry Phone.

What I'm hoping RIM does is produce some commercials that really highlight how you can use your phone to control your Playbook; showing the integration of these products in a variety of situations may be exactley what RIM needs to generate interest in both their tablet and their phones.
    01-11-12 01:42 AM
    will it be 'all' android apps or only the ones that get signed and ported over to the andro vmware type system? its not really full blown andro right? sorry i sound like a HUGE gym lifter

that new OS is mainly geared towards BUSINESS types with BB phones already, not the nerds with JB iphones
    01-11-12 09:17 AM
181 ... 678
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD