That's pretty much up to Adobe - so there may not be any improvement unfortunately.
    True that. I've been getting along using a combo of Adobe & Docs so it won't "end my world" if it doesn't happen. Just would make things a lot easier. Love my pb but would love to love it more.
    01-09-12 11:23 AM
    I wonder if the new OS will have increased options for entering into sleep mode. If your at CES (I'm jealous), make sure you look at the settings and see if you can set the time beyond 5 minutes
    peter9477 likes this.
    01-09-12 11:44 AM
    new BlackBerry� Bridge� features allow a user's BlackBerry� smartphone to act as a keyboard and mouse for their BlackBerry PlayBook - effectively providing a wireless remote control for their tablet. Perfect for pausing a movie when a BlackBerry PlayBook is plugged in to a TV with an HDMI connection, or for using the tactile QWERTY keyboard on a BlackBerry smartphone to compose a message or document on the BlackBerry PlayBook.
    This feature plus the much improved Docs-to-Go suite will be most welcomed. At least with the ability to use the BlackBerry smartphone keyboard will enable easier data entry and writing when away from a traditional-size keyboard and notebook computer and using the BlackBerry tablet to write reports and other documents. Can we move the calendar forward to February already?
    Toodeurep likes this.
    01-09-12 11:53 AM
    Twas the night before CES
    and Jimmy was heard

killing 2 pigs for mikey
    with 1 angry bird

"its BBX micheal" I'll say it again
    "Jimmy, we're getting sued, so It's BBX(10)

Updates in summer ,with email & pin
    The longest damn August , that there's ever been

share prices dropping, but plenty of loot
    our playbooks are secure, but here is the root

"we'll sell lots for that cheap", "at least with some luck"
    and if THAT won't fix RIM, "we'll work for a buck"

OS5, OS6, Theme Building's fun,
    "but no building themes for our 7.1"

We'll blame liquid graphics, our new little trick,
    the new TB7,to Theme all your Bricks

From CES this year, from a RIM fan boi
    Id like native email, and Theme Building joy.

Id like hulu,netflix, and 5 more of them
    But today I will settle,

for a new BBM.
    emtunc, peter9477, JeepBB and 4 others like this.
    01-09-12 12:05 PM
    Did anyone see A2DP in all that....not to be greedy or anything, I'm glad for the upcoming upgrade, but I didn't see anything concerning streaming music
    I use Pandora works perfectly.
    01-09-12 12:06 PM
    For the last time. The PB is not an android tablet! No need to mention android. Apps written for android (insert flavour here) will come from the PB app store if repackaged for PB.
    01-09-12 12:06 PM
    I use Pandora works perfectly.
    Sure it does, but what he's talking about is Bluetooth (A2DP) streaming of the audio from Pandora (or Grooveshark or more likely MP3 files on the PlayBook) to Bluetooth headphones, speakers, or stereo gateways attached to a home stereo.
    01-09-12 12:38 PM
    I don't know if this link is posted elsewhere on Crackberry but here it is anyway.
    If you want to follow CES 2012 directly (less hearsay and speculation) then go to 2012 International CES, January 10-13
    BTW - It starts tommorow.
    01-09-12 12:54 PM
    From Beta Zone (cool!):

The new Bridge will add something like a "View On PlayBook" menu item for some media types...so maybe. It's great to be reading some website on the BlackBerry, then use the menu item to have it launch instantly in the PlayBook browser!

John
    01-09-12 01:00 PM
    LAS VEGAS, NEVADA--(Marketwire -01/09/12)- (CES 2012) - This week at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES), Research In Motion (RIM) (NASDAQ: RIMM - News)(TSX: RIM.TO - News) will be previewing new features of BlackBerry� PlayBook� OS 2.0 that will enable customers to stay even more connected and productive in their personal and professional lives.
    Print To Go application - this app allows users to wirelessly "print"..

"Finally!" says I. Native printing! The multiple device and or email attachment tango to get a printout will finally end.

Wait a minute.
    "this app allows users to wirelessly "print" from their laptop or PC directly to their BlackBerry PlayBook over Wi- Fi�. A digital printout is created on the BlackBerry PlayBook so that users can view, sort and manage their digital printouts as though they were physical sheets of paper."

Virtual printouts from a computer to the Playbook? Not printing from the PlayBook which has been sorely missed in my professional tablet?

Never mind.
    CDM76 likes this.
    01-09-12 01:00 PM
    I hope one of the settings for docs2go is support for searching an excel document. Fingers crossed. Without that I need to lug around laptop, which for work at least makes playbook almost not necessary.
    01-09-12 01:01 PM
    Still loving the idea that a "Reader" function may arrive with OS2. Amazingly handy.
    app_Developer likes this.
    01-09-12 01:01 PM
    I'm most excited about the remote control feature and the ability to use your BB as a mouse and keyboard! Let's face it typing on the PB kind of sucks, but it's not a deal breaker!
    01-09-12 01:02 PM
    I really hope that the reason they're not discussing things like autocorrect is that they don't want to look like they're adding "standard features" as "upgrades" (like the iPhone adding MMS and Copy/Paste wasn't a feature, it was standard). Either way, I hope it's there.
    I would tend to think that. Since they should really have been standard (auto-correct and spell check), best not to draw attention to the fact they were absent by annoucing them alongside truly exciting newsworthy things... especially in a news release. The features should really just BE there.
    01-09-12 01:03 PM
    I love the sound of that video store!!
    In the United States only where RIM market share is imploding.

"(i) BlackBerry Video Store will initially be available in the United States. Support for other countries is expected to be added later this year." (Another "later this year" from RIM...)

Perhaps the idea is to offer it there first in an attempt to slow the descent, or more likely, content arrangements are simpler to arrange. Whatever the case, I think they should have started from a position of strength in a market (eg Indonesia), where RIM is still on a positive trajectory to build some buzz, then expand outward from there.
    dooberry likes this.
    01-09-12 01:09 PM
    In the United States only where RIM market share is imploding.

"(i) BlackBerry Video Store will initially be available in the United States. Support for other countries is expected to be added later this year." (Another "later this year" from RIM...)

Perhaps the idea is to offer it there first in an attempt to slow the descent, or more likely, content arrangements are simpler to arrange. Whatever the case, [B]I think they should have started from a position of strength in a market (eg Indonesia), where RIM is still on a positive trajectory to build some buzz, then expand outward from there[/B[.
    Which would have delayed its rollout even further, inevitably resulting in a level of ******** thelikes of which would be unheard of even here at CrackBerry. As you noted, market share is eroding fastest in NA; it only makes sense to roll it out here first if it can't go out everywhere right away.
    Last edited by sleepngbear; 01-09-12 at 01:31 PM.
    01-09-12 01:29 PM
    Hope the movie rentals will be competetive in pricing. Otherwise it might not have much success.
    01-09-12 01:34 PM
    I'm sure it will be there. The list doesn't appear to be an exhaustive list of the features we'll have there, just the highlights and leaving out a few things that could conceivably be delayed till the next release at the last minute. (And note, if there are things like that: they've said they expect much more frequent updates after 2.0 is out.)
    Yes, I agree with that.

It's a press release, not an exhaustive list of things to be included in OS2. I would be astonished if anything that works in the OS2 Beta isn't also included in the official release - why go to the trouble of removing working code. That would be stupidity beyond belief!

So I'm sure Android player will be there as well. I don't blame RIM for not mentioning a competitor, or giving anyone an opportunity to spin OS2 as: "RIM abandons native OS, adopts Android" mis-information stories.

Any press release is going to want to lead with the headliners... the world has been screaming at RIM since launch over the PB's lack of native email, hence the many words saying not only that it is included but additionally mentioning the neat touches like email tabs that have improved on the basic offering, same story with Docs To Go - it was rubbish, but look at all the things it can now do - we didn't just fix it, we made it better!

It's actually a fairly agressive release that says (to me) "You said PB was a fail because we didn't do whatever, well... now we do, and we do it really well!".

Having said all those positive things, I'd still want to read tomorrow that people have been able to handle real Playbooks running OS2 and do all the things mentioned above. As I've said before, the time when RIM could persuade simply with snazzy video presentations and mock-ups is long gone.

If it ain't real, it ain't real.
    spike12 likes this.
    01-09-12 01:36 PM
    Android app support will never be mentioned in material for the consumer. It would cause to much confusion and raise to many questions (most people would think they would have access to all android apps and the android market). You will only ever see the word "Android" at developer conferences, and in other developer material.

After all, once it's converted and running on the PlayBook, it's no longer an Android app.
    Oh really? Then why does it need an Android player instead of playing natively? Unless the app has been re-written with the native tools, it's still an Android app. However, I agree with everything you said before. On the consumer level, RIM's intention is to make it as seamless as possible. You download an android app, just like any other app in App World. You launch it just like any other app on your Playbook. I would like to see the final Android Player in action. If they could get the UI inside the android player to match the PB's native UI, the consumer will never be able to tell the difference.
    01-09-12 01:40 PM
    Definitely looking forward to having a brand new pb all over again.
    01-09-12 01:41 PM
    Which would have delayed its rollout even further, inevitably resulting in a level of ******** thelikes of which would be unheard of even here at CrackBerry. As you noted, market share is eroding fastest in NA; it only makes sense to roll it out here first if it can't go out everywhere right away.
    Also, I don't know any details of how something like an online BB Video Store operates in the background but it seems to me that RIM would require some support from the movie/sales/licensing industry which is mainly out of the U.S.
    01-09-12 01:45 PM
    Hey Guys,

Just a reminder, please register and vote for playbook:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...aybook-683262/

Registration only takes a quick second, and a the new device forum will greatly help app development for the pb and future bb devices.
    01-09-12 01:47 PM
    I'll dust off my crystal ball and paraphrase the future OS2 reviews:

"Nice effort, with the addition of several (though not all) key features that should frankly have been there from the beginning.

One has to wonder though. BBM, wherefore art thou? A major reason for RIMs past success has been due to this secure, robust communication form.
    Will they add this to the tablet at a still later date? References to "Summer 2012" have been made by RIM in the past. *Can* they add this or is one PIM on multiple devices simply too difficult to accomplish in a time frame that will matter?"
    01-09-12 01:52 PM
    Agreed.

personally, I don't consider them 'android apps'. Just because it's was written for android devices, it shouldn't be labelled an 'android app'.

eg.

Angry birds was released for apple iOS first but i don't see people calling it an 'apple app'.

Just my 2 cents.
    The only thing funnier than this post are the people liking it. Goes to show that if you say something and really, really believe it, you can find folks that will agree with you. The Angry Birds reference made it sound even crazier. What?

Love the stuff 2.o is bringing. This is the beginning of the ecosystem folks have been talking about. I absolutely LOVE the video store. Some folks may feel it is a small advancement; I say it is major. The BB controls are awesome as well.

All in all, we can focus on how late it is, or we can can focus on the breadth of the update. The latter is definitely a positive.
    01-09-12 01:53 PM
    Oh really? Then why does it need an Android player instead of playing natively? Unless the app has been re-written with the native tools, it's still an Android app. However, I agree with everything you said before. On the consumer level, RIM's intention is to make it as seamless as possible. You download an android app, just like any other app in App World. You launch it just like any other app on your Playbook. I would like to see the final Android Player in action. If they could get the UI inside the android player to match the PB's native UI, the consumer will never be able to tell the difference.
    Hush. Just "like" it!
    01-09-12 01:55 PM
181 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD