I'm going to have to ditch the iPhone 4S as soon as the BB London comes out.

P.S. my playbook is scheduled to arrive in a couple hours, I'm excited!
    01-09-12 10:00 AM
    Yeh, where is about on Spellcheck and additional Languages support? Regardless, this is a very exciting news, me can't wait
    I'm 99.9999999999999% sure they just omitted it from the press release because it's boring/standard with other tablets and they don't wanna look behind the times. That's probably why they didn't mention A2DP as well. Even though A2DP is already present in the current build of the 2.0 beta.

I'm not trying to be critical, but this makes sense from a business perspective. Either way the features look awesome and I can't wait!
    01-09-12 10:03 AM
    What is this tabbed multitasking from within the messaging app?

I like the idea of fonts, editing and formatting directly from the messaging app as well as being able to set out of office replies right from the PlayBook.

The integration of the contacts and calendar apps is exactly what I have come to expect from BlackBerry over the years but it has to be said that this sort of functionality should have been available from the get-go.

Although I will not be able to use the BlackBerry Video Store it sounds interesting in that not too long ago I read an article where it was mentioned that iTunes would only release new content 30 days after DVD release in order to bolster DVD sales/rentals and RIM have managed to negogiate a deal that allows them to make the content available upon DVD release.

I just have one question though. Will the unified messaging app work with the bridge connection or will it be WiFi only?
    01-09-12 10:04 AM
    there better be spell check in this release
    teamfoster03 and bbvj like this.
    01-09-12 10:09 AM
    As in Thunderbird, or probably almost any other decent mail client. You can open several messages to view (jumping between as required), and compose a new message in yet another tab, switching back to the others to reference them (or copy/paste from them). Think like how the browser works only without the annoying automatic reloading from time to time.

At least, that's how I read it.

The integration of the contacts and calendar apps is exactly what I have come to expect from BlackBerry over the years but it has to be said that this sort of functionality should have been available from the get-go.
    I think you'll find that the integration of those two will go well beyond anything you would have thought out to have been included from the get-go...
    01-09-12 10:09 AM
    there better be spell check in this release
    I'm sure it will be there. The list doesn't appear to be an exhaustive list of the features we'll have there, just the highlights and leaving out a few things that could conceivably be delayed till the next release at the last minute. (And note, if there are things like that: they've said they expect much more frequent updates after 2.0 is out.)
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-09-12 10:11 AM
    huhhhm if im reading and interpreting that correctly, it means that you're now able to open different email addresses and separate them by tabs. that way if you need something from another email address and want to use another email address to compose, itd be easier as opposed to clicking one email copy and going back to inbox... pretty neat actually
    01-09-12 10:13 AM
    So this is all good news and people can't seem to just enjoy the fact that this update is going to be the BEES KNEES! And we should all bask in the glow of actual positive change, not to mention, a higher quality experience on our already great Playbook tablets.
    It is good news, it is positive, it is something to look forward to, and it just boggles the mind that there's still "Where's this,where's that, what about this..?"
    Last edited by JiveGirl14; 01-09-12 at 10:32 AM.
    01-09-12 10:13 AM
    Im not surprised they left out mentioning Android support. When the beta zone members had our feature wishlist survey, native stuff was way ahead of Android support. I honestly think thats a major reason OS2 was delayed also. They found out Android compatibility wasnt near enough.
    Last edited by Blacklac; 01-09-12 at 10:23 AM.
    01-09-12 10:15 AM
    Amen Jivegirl which leads me to believe that the whining will never cease...

If there was ONE word about android the entire android community would have jumped down their throats in unison.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 01-09-12 at 10:19 AM.
    ralfyguy, Barljo and DPSydBerry like this.
    01-09-12 10:16 AM
    Android app support will never be mentioned in material for the consumer. It would cause to much confusion and raise to many questions (most people would think they would have access to all android apps and the android market). You will only ever see the word "Android" at developer conferences, and in other developer material.

After all, once it's converted and running on the PlayBook, it's no longer an Android app.
    01-09-12 10:19 AM
    Android app support will never be mentioned in material for the consumer. It would cause to much confusion and raise to many questions (most people would think they would have access to all android apps and the android market). You will only ever see the word "Android" at developer conferences, and in other developer material.

After all, once it's converted and running on the PlayBook, it's no longer an Android app.
    Good point, thank you.
    01-09-12 10:22 AM
    this is great. i switched from ios in mid november when i got my playbook, sold the iphone and got a curve 3G 9300. i didnt lie the keyboard so i sold it and bought a 9860 thinking i would like it better as i came from the all touch iphone. i hated the 9860 so i sold it and bought a 9810 but in a few weeks im getting the 9900. at this point with the new keyboard sharing, trackpad control and so on i must say one thing.

i am so glad i am not an owner of a 98xx model!
    spike12 likes this.
    01-09-12 10:23 AM
    cut the rope- yay!!!! Love that game
    Yes. Great game. So is 'Where's my water?' Very similar.
    01-09-12 10:24 AM
    It is good news, it is positive, it is something to look forward to, and it just boggles the mind that there's still "Where's this,where's that, what about this..."
    no doubt. i keep expecting a volvo owner to ask about front side airbags.
    Barljo, DPSydBerry and TinRobot like this.
    01-09-12 10:25 AM
    like new os10 phones perhaps....that would make the stock go up..
    That's it - this is just one more cynical ploy - announce great things, bump stock up, sell quickly and then announce in Feb it has been delayed once again!!!
    01-09-12 10:29 AM

Agreed.

personally, I don't consider them 'android apps'. Just because it's was written for android devices, it shouldn't be labelled an 'android app'.

eg.

Angry birds was released for apple iOS first but i don't see people calling it an 'apple app'.

Just my 2 cents.
    01-09-12 10:41 AM
    It is good news, it is positive, it is something to look forward to, and it just boggles the mind that there's still "Where's this,where's that, what about this..?"
    It is positive news. There are many wonderful additions and improvements. I don't know about anyone else but for myself, I'm wondering about Adobe Reader because as it stands, it's lacking some features that I need to be able to accomplish what I need to do. It's not whining or complaining. I'm just hoping I'll be able to use my Playbook more in a productive way.
    FF22, teamfoster03 and Snap51 like this.
    01-09-12 10:41 AM

If there was ONE word about android the entire android community would have jumped down their throats in unison.
    They will always complain that Android Market is "missing" from PlayBook and that APK's cannot be loaded directly on the device.
    01-09-12 10:42 AM
    It is positive news. There are many wonderful additions and improvements. I don't know about anyone else but for myself, I'm wondering about Adobe Reader because as it stands, it's lacking some features that I need to be able to accomplish what I need to do. It's not whining or complaining. I'm just hoping I'll be able to use my Playbook more in a productive way.
    That's pretty much up to Adobe - so there may not be any improvement unfortunately.
    01-09-12 10:45 AM

I don't know about the Android community, (perhaps you're right), but what I could envision is a complete focus on Android to the detriment of this being more about Blackberry good news in the release. The way it's written keeps it about Blackberry. The thing is there will be apps, how they are there doesn't really matter once they are there and accessible. As per the point made about developer vs consumer language which I think is a very good one.
    spike12 likes this.
    01-09-12 10:47 AM
    All good stuff. Hopefully Docs to Go is much better and somehow there is a better PDF solution out there. A lot to like and hopefully it is released relatively bug free and sometime soon! I am a bit worried since the history of RIM's PB is to over promise and under delivery, here's hoping that history is behind us all. We are all due for a positive surprise.
    01-09-12 10:50 AM
    They will always complain that Android Market is "missing" from PlayBook and that APK's cannot be loaded directly on the device.
    Well, keep in mind the BB 'tech savvy' community is a fraction of the size of the normal consumer market. Many people won't understand 'android market' and 'bar' and 'apk'.
    01-09-12 10:55 AM
    I really hope that the reason they're not discussing things like autocorrect is that they don't want to look like they're adding "standard features" as "upgrades" (like the iPhone adding MMS and Copy/Paste wasn't a feature, it was standard). Either way, I hope it's there.

Anyway, it's cool to see them announcing requested features like an improved Docs To Go suite and Phone Remote capabilities. I really hope they are able to innovate. It seems that ability has been lost on them recently as they have been playing catch-up for so long.

Taking all that into account, I won't be getting too excited until I see it in action. I want to see how far these features are in their development. Announcing features isn't as important as implementing them. Get it done, get it done right, and get it done on time.

Sorry, but "what's coming" doesn't cut it anymore. I've been hearing about "what's coming" for well over a year. I'm ready for a few more reasons to be excited to be a BlackBerry customer. Time to give them to me.
    01-09-12 11:15 AM
    01-09-12 11:21 AM
181 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD