I always thought it would release along with OS2 in February. If you actually read the BB Blog post (An Update on BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0 �Inside BlackBerry - The Official BlackBerry Blog), it will come at a later date after OS2.

Aw man
    12-13-11 03:51 PM
    dissapointing yes, but it will work soon after im sure because the date flying around for the first BBX phone (i knwo its BB10 im still calling it BBX lol) is march. and it would have to work by then to have it on the phone
    mrbjr likes this.
    12-13-11 04:06 PM
    dissapointing yes, but it will work soon after im sure because the date flying around for the first BBX phone (i knwo its BB10 im still calling it BBX lol) is march. and it would have to work by then to have it on the phone
    Only if the phone actually sticks to the release date itself... Nothing is guaranteed and RIM has not been creating a good track record for meeting deadlines. Hopefully they meet it this time, but recent experience dictates otherwise. The word "later" from RIM no longer means what it used to...
    dodger_moore likes this.
    12-13-11 04:11 PM
    Will someone explain why native BBM is needed. I understand calendar and email for non BB users. Can someone use BBM without have a BB phone?
    12-13-11 04:13 PM
    Will someone explain why native BBM is needed. I understand calendar and email for non BB users. Can someone use BBM without have a BB phone?
    That's the entire point, to be able to use BBM without:
    1 - relying on your existing phone and bridge
    2 - having to own a BB phone

There are plenty of people who would buy a PB and use BB features like BBM but don't own a BB. Unless you are trying to force your product into a niche where only BB phone owners want to purchase....
    12-13-11 04:15 PM
    As a BB user I like the way it is and I don't think I want it storing messages in 2 places. If I didn't have a BB phone could I register with RIM just to use BBM. I didn't think that was possible.
    12-13-11 04:41 PM
    and RIM keeps pushing me away to Android!!!!
    jarda and nabatron like this.
    12-13-11 04:41 PM
    As a BB user I like the way it is and I don't think I want it storing messages in 2 places. If I didn't have a BB phone could I register with RIM just to use BBM. I didn't think that was possible.
    You're confusing additional options as a removal of the current option... You do not HAVE to use native just because it exists... You can bridge as well. Currently non BB phone users are screwed in this regard.
    JR A likes this.
    12-13-11 04:49 PM
    or they will keep it for PB2 and not give it to the existing PB as that would boost sales of the PB2!
    the addicts couldn't resist it they would all go out and buy one.
    criticalangle likes this.
    12-13-11 05:08 PM
    With BBM being a subscription service how would "PB only" owners pay? Thru the app store?

Cause you know its not going to be free.
    pbnb likes this.
    12-13-11 05:17 PM
    What? BBM is the chat service, not blackberry music....
    12-13-11 05:22 PM
    because of this issue? my android tablet or any others out there don't have any type of native messaging other than google talk. the only reason I have sms on my android tablet is because its synced with my android phone.
    12-13-11 05:22 PM
    because of this issue? my android tablet or any others out there don't have any type of native messaging other than google talk. the only reason I have sms on my android tablet is because its synced with my android phone.
    You can't keep postponing features as "later" indefinitely and expect good results...
    12-13-11 05:24 PM
    Yeah and you still think its free? Its included in your Blackberry data package. Its not going to be free on the PB if it ever gets there.
    12-13-11 05:26 PM
    Yeah and you still think its free? Its included in your Blackberry data package. Its not going to be free on the PB if it ever gets there.
    If you say so... If they add a new subscription charge to all BIS traffic on the PB even though it's purely using wifi (considering the entire PB user base has no 3g/4g models since they didn't release them), good luck selling that service to anybody.

They will either bridge like they do now (free), or not use the BIS service at all.

So it will be free, because they won't have a choice.
    12-13-11 05:29 PM
    Um ... we do realize, don't we that the blog post in question was dated October ... right? This is scarcely "news".

And I don't personally see a need for a native BBM.
    Michelle Haag and sllock like this.
    12-13-11 05:29 PM
    Agreed. I brought this up months ago regarding email and BBM on the playbook. If its free there will be a lot of blackberry users that wonder why they're paying extra to RIM for bis service albeit through their carrier.

Sent from my iPhone4s using Tapatalk
    Last edited by xandermac; 12-13-11 at 05:32 PM.
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    12-13-11 05:30 PM
    BBM not on the PB is no big deal.
    To get BBM you need a BB phone with a BB plan.
    When you bridge your BB phone you are NOW fully BBM capable.
    The only dis-advantage is that you will not have a PB full screen app.
    12-13-11 05:35 PM
    Agreed. I brought this up months ago regarding email and BBM on the playbook. If its free there will be a lot of blackberry users that wonder why they're paying extra to RIM for bis service albeit through their carrier.

Sent from my iPhone4s using Tapatalk
    I don't think they've thought it through. But charging an addition fee on a wifi only device would do more damage... Also most BB owners are not PB owners, so the blowback in that regard isn't actually that huge because most don't own a PB or know much about it.

Also if they charge additional fees for the PB, they won't get to beta test QNX traffic on BIS hardly at all because nobody will use it, which puts them in a poor spot for phone releases later...
    12-13-11 05:36 PM
    Oh so Android has native BBM...?

12-13-11 05:42 PM
    I don't see the need for native BBM, Email, or Calendar on the playbook. If you have a BB phone you have BBM and access to other IM programs. If you don't have a BB phone you have access to people who do through other IM programs. I already have 3 emails to track. I surely don't want another. Most smart phones can access your existing email accounts. And another calendar to sync.... not me. I am not sure way anyone would want a 3g/4g tablet if it can utilize your phones data plan . Just my option
    alnamvet68 and mandony like this.
    12-13-11 05:50 PM
    Oh so Android has native BBM...?

What is BBM???
    12-13-11 05:51 PM
    What is BBM???
    BlackBerry Messenger

BBMM is the Music service.
    12-13-11 05:58 PM
    What is BBM???
    BBM = Blackberry Messenger
    12-13-11 05:58 PM