Hey there. Does anyone know any information about the supported VPN protocols the playbook will have? And does the app store have any good RDP applications or anyone know any 3rd party companies developing any RDP apps? Being able to vpn into our network and then RDP into some servers with ease will be a must for our company.
    Last edited by manofice; 04-04-11 at 03:58 PM.
    04-04-11 03:51 PM
    I was wondering the same thing.
    04-18-11 02:32 PM
    Bumping this back to the top. Does anyone know if you the PB can do a PPTP VPN connection?

Any RDP software available yet?
    04-20-11 09:20 PM
    +1 want a good RDP client and are willing even to pay $0.99 for it.
    04-20-11 10:06 PM
    Think we will need to wait a bit for a Remote desktop ciient...
    04-20-11 10:11 PM
    It would be insane if the PB could use some sort of RDP client.

I think it's insane that iPhone has TeamViewer & a logmein client. I use all 3 on a regular basis for work - if those ever get released for the PB then I have a great reason why work should buy one for me! =)
    04-20-11 10:14 PM
    i completely agree. im looking for information regarding PPTP connections
    04-20-11 10:17 PM
    email the logmein team. its the best client that i have found on android so far and i assume it would be great on a PB too
    04-20-11 10:30 PM
    VPN is built in to the device, all major VPN gateways are supported including Cisco, Juniper, Microsoft and Generic ones. Check out the VPN module under the device Security settings.
    04-20-11 10:32 PM
    I emailed Shape yesterday and asked if they planed on releasing RDP+ for the Playbook. This is their response :

At the moment we are not planning to release RDM+ for BlackBerry Playbook.
    We might consider it in future.

Best regards,
    Maria
    SHAPE Support Team
    SHAPE Services ( IM+: Instant Messaging, IM+ Talk, Business Card Reader for iPhone, iPad, BlackBerry, Windows Mobile, Android, Symbian, Java, Palm webOS )
    04-20-11 10:57 PM
    logmein.com works fine from the browser with no need for plugins
    04-20-11 11:10 PM
    When I tried logmein.com, it slowly refreshed the whole screen at every thing I did (like tapping the Start menu). Have you experienced something similar?
    04-20-11 11:15 PM
    I think I saw VNC in app world...not sure if it works closed networks only or what...they wanted$2.99 for it though...
    04-20-11 11:17 PM
    This is a bunch of crap. No RDP for a business tablet. Still not sure if the PPTP VPN will work. I thought about risking getting a PB because I can get it for $450 out the door up until Sat. but so far it seems like the only thing I'd be able to do is surf the web and watch movies.

Is there a more techie form for blackberry than crackberry.com? Something like XDA or the jailbreak boards?
    ithinkin10 likes this.
    04-21-11 07:41 AM
    I have an iPad now for RDP which is great, but the tablet is WiFi only. That was fine when I was doing a trial of iPhones for our company - which went horribly - but now I'm back on my BB with no WiFi hotspot capability, and thus, no RDP. Which ruined the iPad for me. The OS sucks for most business related functions.

On the iPad I'm using Jump as my RDP client and its great, but they have no intention to develop for the PB.

Has anyone tried to remote through the Remote Workplace portal on the PB's browser?
    04-21-11 08:20 AM
    I won't have mine in my hands till Friday after work. I'll check and see if it will work with Nortel/Avaya VPN's then.
    04-21-11 10:12 AM
    My Cisco ASA with XAUTH-PSK is not working for VPN, nor am i able to install my calradius2 certificate
    04-21-11 11:16 AM
    I'd like to know how to do this as well, if possible! (I FINALLY get my hands on my playbook tonight... it's been waiting patiently for me)

To access my work computer, I have to first VPN to my work network, then RD to my computer. No other way (not on BES).

In terms of what I can do on the 7" screen, it's not a matter of doing a lot of work on it--simply the ability to be ABLE to connect to get vital files or look something up quickly, if I need to remotely. Will completely eliminate the need for me to carry around a netbook for this, which is why I wanted the playbook--something small, can fit into my purse, (not true for the netbook or an ipad) and I can get onto my work computer, if need be.
    04-21-11 11:25 AM
    I was actually able to get my Playbook to connect to my checkpoint vpn-1 router from a remote location. first time I've been able to do that with anything except the securemote software from checkpoint. problems I see so far:

1. No security, most of my vpn software forces you to put in a password to connect the vpn. This client took the password 1 time and then would connect subsequent times without requiring the password. Not good if the unit gets stolen. Should force password every time. If they want to leave it as an option then make it a checkbox to cache the password (bes policy item too).

2. Once I got connected I was able to hit websites inside my network but it was very erratic. Sometimes they would render perfectly, sometimes only partly. Not sure what the issue is here, but we are on a strong wifi/broadband and my latptop connects flawlessly.

3. Keyboard jumping in and out on id/password boxes. I saw another post about this so i'm assuming it's the browser not anything to do with the vpn, but hugely annoying. took 5 minutes to log into router.

If the connectivity issues are worked out I'm super happy as this makes the PB more useful.

I would like to see a RDP client. I saw the VNC client but it will require a program on the remote PC. I hope someone builds a RDP based client. It will be pretty tiny though. The one I have for my iPad is tough enough.

Anyone else have any VPN experiences? Share here.

Roveer
    Kerms likes this.
    04-21-11 12:43 PM
    When I tried logmein.com, it slowly refreshed the whole screen at every thing I did (like tapping the Start menu). Have you experienced something similar?
    I used logmein with no issues.
    04-21-11 12:54 PM
    Bumping this thread.

Again, question is ability of PB to vpn (via PPTP) into my work network and then RDP into some computers. I bought PB at launch SOLELY for this purpose (to use while traveling/etc) and it is now pretty much collecting dust (I bought it for work, not play, purposes. If I still need to carry my laptop with me, then I'm not carrying the PB too). Using another VPN/RDP client is NOT an option (it's my company network, not mine--strict regulations in place & they use PPTP so EVERYONE who needs to vpn in can easily do so (well, except those on PB)).

Just recently was gifted an iPod and (I'm not an really an Apple fan) was both blown away and frustrated with how ridiculously easy it was to set up the VPN and RDP into my work computer from home... even faster than doing it from my home computer and/or laptop. Don't get me wrong--I love my BB and will be upgrading to the new BB10 once the physical keyboard model comes out (not a fan of virtual keyboards), but if we can't have something like the simplest VPN connection, then I'll probaby end up switching to an iPad mini for seamless work connectivity.

I also know a student whose computer recently died and was offered a PB (collecting dust) to use to finish off the semester. I received many grantic calls about "how do you do this?" and had to, unfortunately, answer with "you can't" most of the time. To show what little it was able to do, the student ended up doing all assignments/web-related tasks/presentations/etc on his iPhone, as he was not able to on the PB. This isn't meant to "bash" the PB--I've supported it from day 1----but how can I argue with something like this, especially when I've faced my own share of frustrations with what it's supposed to be able to do and what it actually can do?

(Originally, when the PB was to come out, it was advertised as having VPN support and USB connectivity, native doc apps, etc... I went to the Apple store at the time and asked them if the ipad could do a few things I needed it to do for work (VPN/RDP/USB/Native word-compatible apps/etc)--because it couldn't (other than VPN/RDP), I as happy to get my PB... then frustrated to see PPTP VPN wasn't supported, there was no native RDP, USB support couldn't actually "read/write" to USB (unless you did the soldering method) so it was pretty much useless and my PB has been pretty much idle since I got it now, other than occasionally using it as an eReader). As a paying customer and loyal BB user, I would not have minded if we HADN'T been told some of these things would be supported.

Anyway, I'm traveling again for work next month. I guess it's time to lug out the old laptop again, or finally break and get an iPad. (unless there is a magical PPTP VPN fix now?)
    03-12-13 11:29 AM
    PPTP isn't supported, and as it's not supported in my Z10 too I guess it's not going to be in BB10 for PB either.

I have an RDP client on the PB and it works well but not over PPTP sadly
    03-12-13 01:26 PM
    Bumping this thread.

Again, question is ability of PB to vpn (via PPTP) into my work network and then RDP into some computers. I bought PB at launch SOLELY for this purpose (to use while traveling/etc) and it is now pretty much collecting dust (I bought it for work, not play, purposes. If I still need to carry my laptop with me, then I'm not carrying the PB too). Using another VPN/RDP client is NOT an option (it's my company network, not mine--strict regulations in place & they use PPTP so EVERYONE who needs to vpn in can easily do so (well, except those on PB)).

Just recently was gifted an iPod and (I'm not an really an Apple fan) was both blown away and frustrated with how ridiculously easy it was to set up the VPN and RDP into my work computer from home... even faster than doing it from my home computer and/or laptop. Don't get me wrong--I love my BB and will be upgrading to the new BB10 once the physical keyboard model comes out (not a fan of virtual keyboards), but if we can't have something like the simplest VPN connection, then I'll probaby end up switching to an iPad mini for seamless work connectivity.

I also know a student whose computer recently died and was offered a PB (collecting dust) to use to finish off the semester. I received many grantic calls about "how do you do this?" and had to, unfortunately, answer with "you can't" most of the time. To show what little it was able to do, the student ended up doing all assignments/web-related tasks/presentations/etc on his iPhone, as he was not able to on the PB. This isn't meant to "bash" the PB--I've supported it from day 1----but how can I argue with something like this, especially when I've faced my own share of frustrations with what it's supposed to be able to do and what it actually can do?

(Originally, when the PB was to come out, it was advertised as having VPN support and USB connectivity, native doc apps, etc... I went to the Apple store at the time and asked them if the ipad could do a few things I needed it to do for work (VPN/RDP/USB/Native word-compatible apps/etc)--because it couldn't (other than VPN/RDP), I as happy to get my PB... then frustrated to see PPTP VPN wasn't supported, there was no native RDP, USB support couldn't actually "read/write" to USB (unless you did the soldering method) so it was pretty much useless and my PB has been pretty much idle since I got it now, other than occasionally using it as an eReader). As a paying customer and loyal BB user, I would not have minded if we HADN'T been told some of these things would be supported.

Anyway, I'm traveling again for work next month. I guess it's time to lug out the old laptop again, or finally break and get an iPad. (unless there is a magical PPTP VPN fix now?)
    I'd be curious what the student mentioned in your post could not accomplish with the BlackBerry PlayBook.

Posted via CB10 on the BlackBerry Z10
    03-12-13 08:04 PM
    VPN from the z10 works fine but one cannot use the vpn and surf the web at the same time. The Ipad and Iphone can both do it so easily. BB should be able to do those things better than iphone or android. They cater to business people. If i wanted a gadget i would have stayed with the iphone...maybe i should go back to it? ...since it's seems a better gadget than BB.
    03-29-13 04:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD