Has anyone successfully connected from PlayBook to a VPN server running on Windows server 2008?

On pb under security settings there is screen to configure VPN connection.

I am looking for some feedback if that works over tethered connection and how is performance.

My theory is if I VPN to my box on internal network I should be able to use Remote RDP (android app) which works flawlessly for me from internal wifi to gain access from remote...
    01-23-12 09:34 AM
    Does your server not have secure RDP access from outside? A VPN is often not required. RDP is usually listening on port 3389 so ask IT if it's available on your router.
    I believe PPTP is not available but Cisco and Sonicwall may be for VPN.
    01-23-12 11:47 AM
    Does your server not have secure RDP access from outside? A VPN is often not required. RDP is usually listening on port 3389 so ask IT if it's available on your router.
    I believe PPTP is not available but Cisco and Sonicwall may be for VPN.
    Allowing RDP directly to your servers from the outside world is a huge security risk. Doing it over VPN is much safer, or better yet invest in Citrix
    01-23-12 01:06 PM
    Thats exactly why I asked about VPN as I will never allow rdp from Internet to my internal network in any shape or form other than through locked down VPN, hence why I asked if anyone has tried it from playbook before I invest into setting up and testing myself.

My other option was to rdp over BES but it does not look like it's possible... That would have been ideal.
    01-23-12 03:35 PM
    am connected via cisco asa vpn to widows server 2003
    01-23-12 07:58 PM
    I've not done it over vpn, however, the performance with vnc software over my bridge (9780 [3g]) performs well enough for me to get what I need to have done. I dont do much, but remote into an auxilary computer, which then remotes to a seperete network, then to the computer I need to look at. I'm pleased.

Tho I really with my contract was up so I could grab a 9900.
    01-23-12 08:28 PM
    VPN works pretty well but we still lack a rdp client. We are using cisco for vpn.
    01-23-12 08:28 PM
    I have tried to hit some of the issues with the thread "Folding Space with Remote Desktop" in this forum. It does not appear that a native RDP Windows client has been shown or released so far for PB by RIM. Security is definitely a major issue, especially for the system being remoted into. Some of these products are definitely slanted towards use of the Internet, whereas IMT VNC, aVNC, and CompRemote will work with my home WiFi quite nicely, without any Internet connection, a useful goal for me. For these latter ones, I am using TightVNC on my PC. I have not been able to get Citrix running yet - I get hung up on specifying a domain. Very seductive look and feel. Doc Neutron
    01-23-12 08:38 PM
    VPN works pretty well but we still lack a rdp client. We are using cisco for vpn.
    I am using RDP client called "Remote RDP Enterprise". Its a port of an Android client to PlayBook. It supports RDP which does not require any server component. It requires OS2 and works extremely well when I am connected over WiFi to my local network and remote to local server. It even supports Enhanced Authentication to connect to Windows 2008/7 machines which require it.

What I want to do is keep this connectivity when I am outside of the network thats why I thought of setting up a VPN using Windows 2008 RRAS and trying to VPN playbook to it and then connect using Remote RDP.
    01-23-12 09:14 PM
    Has anyone successfully connected from PlayBook to a VPN server running on Windows server 2008?
    Windows Server 2008 doesn't really answer what VPN technology you're using. The PlayBook supports IKE2 IPsec VPNs. There's also support for SSL VPN from one of the listed vendors (Juniper I think). If you're using PPTP it's not supported, but you should also be aware PPTP isn't very secure.
    01-23-12 11:20 PM
    @ Casper and Grassroots, thanks for the information and education.
    01-23-12 11:46 PM
    you can configure your win2k8 r2 server with ikev2

Configure IKEv2-based Remote Access

ive been trying to set it up using the free ec2 server from amazon. its a headache though please let me know if you find an easy how-to to follow to set this up. I am using the exact same program you are to rdp in but I want to find out how to setup a vpn so I can run american apps on my canadian playbook. (pandora, some american tv websites...etc. hulu doesn't work with amazon ips
    01-24-12 12:59 AM
    Here's a native RDP client for PlayBook:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...aybook-691368/
    01-24-12 03:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD