Noob here, and was hoping someone could help me configure VPN IPSec on the playbook (OS 2.0 - which I am loooving by the way).

I've already looked at some of the other threads on the matter, but they don't really seem to help me as I'm not all that technical. I work for a small company that has a vpn network and has a configuration manual to get ipads setup on the network - problem is I don't really like ipads and am trying to get everyone to convert to the playbook!

Essentially, the settings manual states that I should use cisco IPsec and enter :

a Description:
    a Server:
    an Account: users\YOURUSERNAME
    a Password: Your domain password
    a Group Name: vpngroup
    a Secret: password

a Proxy: AUTO
    and a http://proxy.address

for the life of me I can't seem to translate this to the VPN settings available in the playbook.

Any help anyone could provide would be very much appreciated and help me to show everone here how much better the playbook actually is!
    02-22-12 06:13 AM
    Does no one know the answer to this? Right now the Pplaybook is pretty useless at work as I can't connect to anything!
    02-23-12 08:59 AM
    I have been trying this for over a month on my school's vpn network. I tried using six different mobile device's instruction pages, and it still won't connect. The network department told me that if the device isn't on their page, they don't support it. Keep in mind, they just enabled android support a month ago. I even suggested I could bring the device by, but they again told me that if the device isn't listed, they don't support it. I feel your pain.
    02-23-12 09:20 AM
    AFAIK the PB just doesn't currently support this type of connectivity. I have a PB and an iPad and right now I can only use my iPad to VPN in.....
    02-23-12 09:25 AM
    Thankyou for the replies. It's a real shame that it is not supported as it limits its usage in a work place. Not to worry though I still think the pb is a great piece of kit and the 2.0 updates have really made it my tablet of choice (I also have an ipad2 and asus transformer). I might drop a line to BB support to see what their take on this is...
    02-23-12 11:16 AM
    No idea what you guys are doing but VPNs work fine on the playbook, I can connect to a Cisco PIX and a Windows SSL VPN no problem... (then I use RDP and connect to servers on that network) sounds like you need to understand your VPN setup a little better in order to be able to actually configure it on the playbook.

The VPN settings on the playbook are almost verbatim exactly as what you described OP, so not sure what field you are having difficulties with.
    02-23-12 11:36 AM
    Hi, I have a pix535 with 6.3 very old version. I couldn't get my playbook ipsec vpn to work. I was able to get a IP after connected, but that's it, no access to anywhere. I checked VPN Session Status, it only showed Status was connected and all the others were blank, such as server address and private ips primary DNS etc. I also checked network and did see I got a right vpn IP assigned by my pix. Can you please let me know what Pix version you are using?
    Thanks,
    02-23-12 09:16 PM
    Thanks Syranetic,

can you tell me in that case what the fieldm apping is for the pb as per my original post? i.e. how would I go about configuring my vpn for the fields described above? Your help and advice is much appreciated.
    02-24-12 11:22 AM
    Hi guys,

in general, these are the protocols, the CISCO-Client uses to get into company-VPN's and they would have to be supported by either the Blackberry Playbook and the router:

- IPsec
    - PPTP
    - L2TP

also the following ports should not be blocked

UDP Port 500
    UDP Port 1000
    IP Port 50 (ESP)

so if one would know what one would have to configure and which client to take on the Playbook, that would be the first hint to get VPN working nicely for me too.
    Last edited by sparks61; 02-28-12 at 02:40 AM.
    02-28-12 02:38 AM
    Hi guys,

in general, these are the protocols, apple uses to get into company-VPN's and they would have to be supported by either the Blackberry Playbook and the router:

- IPsec
    - PPTP
    - L2TP

also the following ports should not be blocked

UDP Port 500
    UDP Port 1000
    IP Port 50 (ESP)

so if one would know what the CISCO-VPN Client, that you could download on the
    CISCO-Homepage would work with, that would be the first hint to get VPN working
    nicely for me too.
    02-28-12 02:45 AM
    what sorta setting would i use for this https://help.riseup.net/en/vpn-howto...e-a-vpn-server on the playbook if it can be done thanks
    02-28-12 02:47 AM
    Hi, I have a pix535 with 6.3 very old version. I couldn't get my playbook ipsec vpn to work. I was able to get a IP after connected, but that's it, no access to anywhere. I checked VPN Session Status, it only showed Status was connected and all the others were blank, such as server address and private ips primary DNS etc. I also checked network and did see I got a right vpn IP assigned by my pix. Can you please let me know what Pix version you are using?
    Thanks,
    Hello,
    I'm having totally the same problem - pb says I'm connected but ic blanks in session status i.� no ip assigned or dns detected. Were you able to fix this?
    07-27-12 12:57 PM
    I see this issue this way. The IPad has a ceneric cisco client that allows IPsec sessions to multiple devices. When I try to hook up the PB to the VPN there is not IPSec setting, you have to pick a device type. I also feel the PB is a superior tablet but is very limited for work if I cannot connect to the VPN. For argument sake, I am trying to connect to a Fortigate firewall, iPad goes in easy every time.
    09-27-12 10:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD