There are many open source projects available for QNX including our favorite VLC. So, is it going to be easy to be customized for the PlayBook?
    If There is a full VLC app on the PlayBook, it would be the best.

Check the attachment of go to VideoLAN - Official page for VLC media player, the Open Source video framework! and you will see that there is the source code of VLC for QNX.

It would be really nice to make it available soon after launch. It will be a real hit.
    04-09-11 11:51 AM
    Nice find! Anyone willing to shed some light on how this could work?
    04-09-11 11:58 AM
    But I don't really see the need when play book is going to have working divx out of the box
    04-09-11 12:28 PM
    But I don't really see the need when play book is going to have working divx out of the box
    hello? VIDEO-TS folders?
    04-09-11 03:47 PM
    .MKV would be nice too
    04-09-11 04:22 PM
    Once the native SDK is released this will be possible, but that's still a few months away.
    04-09-11 07:16 PM
    .MKV would be nice too
    MKV is just a container for standard encoded video. Much like zip and rar are containers for other content. You can easily strip out mlv without having to do expensive decoding. I'm sure once they release the native C/C++ SdK we'll see all kinds of things like this including VLC. I've got a raft of C programs I'm going to put on this when the native SDK comes out. Because its POSIX compliant you'll see all kinds of Linux apps on it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-09-11 07:22 PM
    MKV is just a container for standard encoded video. Much like zip and rar are containers for other content. You can easily strip out mlv without having to do expensive decoding. I'm sure once they release the native C/C++ SdK we'll see all kinds of things like this including VLC. I've got a raft of C programs I'm going to put on this when the native SDK comes out. Because its POSIX compliant you'll see all kinds of Linux apps on it.

With that being said the PB has codec support for video and video playback...so anything is possible if developers hop to it
    04-09-11 07:34 PM
    With that being said the PB has codec support for video and video playback...so anything is possible if developers hop to it
    Yeah, but you aren't going to do that in flash! :-)
    CanadianThomas likes this.
    04-09-11 09:31 PM
    any more news on this? i went to play a divx movie and sound doesnt work, it works for other flicks ive tried so it seems ,lime full divx support for all codecs isnt here and vlc would fix this
    04-22-11 09:11 AM
    any more news on this? i went to play a divx movie and sound doesnt work, it works for other flicks ive tried so it seems ,lime full divx support for all codecs isnt here and vlc would fix this
    Your issue isn't with DivX.. it's the AC3 audio that was used on your video file.. but yes, vlc would fix that.
    05-24-11 11:40 PM
    I would die a happy man if VLC ever comes out to for the Playbook. If it works the way that I think it does, or rather like it does on a computer, that would mean that I never have to worry about converting anything ever again. And for that conveience, I would be willing to pay for. Heck, even charge me 20.00 for the app and its a bargain as I hate converting movie files to other formats. So yes, bring on VLC please!
    05-25-11 12:51 AM
    VLC for QNX already exists, it's the fact that you cannot compile it a of yet for the PlayBook.. like most things, it needs the NDK to be made available in order for it to work right.
    05-25-11 01:04 AM
    so once the NDK comes out, VLC should be avail soon on playbook?? aaah cant wait for it.
    05-25-11 01:43 AM
    Yea been wanting vlc for the PB since launch and would pay $10 for it if it actually worked without having to spend hours on converting files.

rcab likes this.
    05-25-11 03:37 AM
    +1

VLC on playbook Please !
    09-10-11 07:44 AM
    I read on some thread that VLC wont be able to get ported with the SDK yet because it depends on Qt which the SDK doesnt have or something like that?
    09-10-11 12:03 PM
    Yes that's true but Qt won't be that difficult to port.
    Hardest part of VLC will be creating a nice UI now.
    09-10-11 05:56 PM
    I have VLC on both my iPhone and iPad. It's awesome. I really hope it comes out for the PlayBook as I just ordered one last night. Will be so nice to have the convenience for video streaming.
    09-10-11 08:08 PM
    Personally i would shell out whatever was asked for a VLC app. Not having to worry about video formats would be so clutch.
    xindy likes this.
    09-10-11 08:14 PM
    I have VLC on both my iPhone and iPad. It's awesome. I really hope it comes out for the PlayBook as I just ordered one last night. Will be so nice to have the convenience for video streaming.
    The one on iOS is a severely GIMPed version due to legal reasons.
    The one coming to Playbook will be much better
    09-10-11 08:27 PM
    The one on iOS is a severely GIMPed version due to legal reasons.
    The one coming to Playbook will be much better
    May well be gimped, but it plays what I ask it to. And until RIM/Dev actually release VLC for the PB we are once again stuck in a "Wish in one hand, crap in the other. See which fills up first" waiting game.

My post wasn't an iOS vs QNX debate, I simply pointed out its a cool a$$ app and I really want to see it on the PB.
    09-10-11 11:01 PM
    Demand for VLC may very well be high, but till today i havent really had an EXTREme need for it. I never have to convert my series and movies except for mkvs which is done by a soft container conversion.

on the other hand other people make good use of its advanced features and in no doubt VLC if has the chance of being one of the most downloaded apps.

xsacha why would the GUI be a hard thing? what is needed? you seem to have dug your fangs deep in this business lol
    09-10-11 11:56 PM
    May well be gimped, but it plays what I ask it to. And until RIM/Dev actually release VLC for the PB we are once again stuck in a "Wish in one hand, crap in the other. See which fills up first" waiting game.

My post wasn't an iOS vs QNX debate, I simply pointed out its a cool a$$ app and I really want to see it on the PB.
    It wasn't iOS vs QNX debate. I'm just saying the version you like is GIMPed, so what's possible on the Playbook is much more. You should be excited. I've used the iOS one and unfortunately it doesn't play everything like the desktop/linux version. Everything should be possible on Playbook because it doesn't have those legal issues.

VLC is actually already ported to QNX and works fine on QNX. What we need to do is create a user interface (in Qt) for it on the Playbook.
    There's a little bit of Qt code to port for the new context/windows/events system (which will definitely be done because it's very important to a large number of applications we will see). And that's quite easy now thanks to Qt4.8.
    Then someone needs to whip up a nice UI (anyone can make a UI that works but we want one optimised for tablet).

The waiting game is waiting for RIM to officially release the NDK so all this code progress can become public.
    Last edited by xsacha; 09-11-11 at 01:05 AM.
    KQ9, Cozmik and macrosheep like this.
    09-11-11 01:01 AM
    hope its released before my trip to mexico. need it for the plane ride
    09-11-11 01:51 AM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD