So, if the VPN client on the Playbook doesn't permit browsing of network shares over the VPN (when connected), exactly what the heck does it do?
    11-12-11 10:24 AM
    You have to enable sharing in the settings of the PB. To begin, try without password (but if you use wifi ... you'd better set one).

Wifi sharing.
    from W7 search box (in Start Menu), just type :
    file://192.168.xx.yy (where 192.168.xx.yy is the IP of your PB you can find in the wifi settings tab)

USB Sharing
    If you have previously installed BB Desktop Manager; a new drive will pop when Plug and play recognize your PB. If you have protected your PB with a password, it'll be prompted to enter it (twice: one for the BB Device Manager and the other for the BB Desktop manager. (Be advised that the USB IP is NOT the wifi IP.)
    11-12-11 10:47 AM
    upgrade to OS2, install ES file explorer andriod app, and connect to your LAN shares from your playbook, open media files etc directly
    11-14-11 12:42 PM
    You have to enable sharing in the settings of the PB. To begin, try without password (but if you use wifi ... you'd better set one).

Wifi sharing.
    from W7 search box (in Start Menu), just type :
    file://192.168.xx.yy (where 192.168.xx.yy is the IP of your PB you can find in the wifi settings tab)

USB Sharing
    If you have previously installed BB Desktop Manager; a new drive will pop when Plug and play recognize your PB. If you have protected your PB with a password, it'll be prompted to enter it (twice: one for the BB Device Manager and the other for the BB Desktop manager. (Be advised that the USB IP is NOT the wifi IP.)
    Those two setting address accessing files on the playbook from elsewhere. I am looking for a way for the Playbook to access network shares remotely. It appears it is possible to enable this from BES and BESx, and I am working on enabling this with our IT folks.

What I don't understand is why the playbook's native VPN client doesn't appear to permits this. (Or if it does, I can't figure out how to access the shares once the VPN is connected.)
    11-14-11 01:29 PM
    any way to stream video from a wd my book live?
    11-18-11 06:17 AM
    The best way I have found to share my media between my Win7 PC and my Playbook is a program called Orb. Basically you download Orb to your PC and set the share folders and then download the Orb app in blackberry app world. When you are at home Orb will stream all shared files over your WIFI network and when you are elsewhere Orb will stream over the internet. It works well and is free to try.
    11-18-11 07:53 AM
    Orb sounds great for a PC.

Was hoping their might be a way to stream from the WD My Book Live NAS device ?
    11-18-11 09:00 AM
    Orb is alright but not ideal. It would be nice if RIM put it right into the video/picture/music app so you could add media from network locations. It would solve a lot of issues I'm having and add a whole new reason to get one!
    11-22-11 02:32 PM
    tversity works quite well for music and video streaming via the flashlib url of you media server..

ie. http://mediaserv:41952/flashlib
    11-22-11 02:35 PM
    upgrade to OS2, install ES file explorer andriod app, and connect to your LAN shares from your playbook, open media files etc directly
    I tried this method but it would not open videos. It worked for photos but I don't believe it worked for music mp3's either. For the video, it did give me a choice of two different players but neither would play anything. Has anyone else had any luck getting this method to stream video's (avi's, mp4, etc...) and music (mp3's)?
    Thanks
    12-06-11 12:06 PM
    I tried this method but it would not open videos. It worked for photos but I don't believe it worked for music mp3's either. For the video, it did give me a choice of two different players but neither would play anything. Has anyone else had any luck getting this method to stream video's (avi's, mp4, etc...) and music (mp3's)?
    Thanks
    bump /10char
    ralfyguy likes this.
    12-24-11 11:33 PM
    did we get anywhere with this
    02-14-12 02:27 PM
    I discovered that rim has all of the playbook codecs available to the webbrowser's embedded media player, not just the HTML5 approved codecs. A media file, with a correctly set mime type, will launch the mediaplayer in the browser, and if supported, render.

You can install a webserver make sure the mime types are correct, turn on virtual directories and achive this, or you can look at the little HTML5 media streamer I wrote. It's called http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-my-pb-687532/

It's far from a perfect solution.

Paul
    02-14-12 04:07 PM
    did we get anywhere with this
    with os 2 beta, there is a android app which can browse the network. i dont remember the name anymore. i had it when i had beta os on my pb.

hope there will be the same app in the appworld after official os.

ok just figured out the name: ES file explorer.
    Last edited by zzbsb; 02-14-12 at 04:48 PM.
    02-14-12 04:41 PM
    any way to stream video from a wd my book live?
    just sideload the wd2go app from android and you can access everything on your wd my book network drive. It works amazing, but the only downside is that it only reads mp4 files and not .avi
    04-18-12 03:23 PM
    05-07-12 12:49 PM
    I am interested in Network wifi browsing and file sharing as well.
    05-08-12 05:36 PM
    Try the ghost commander app in appworld I can see all the file shares on my windows 7 media center and grab files lots will not play on the playbook. I still need to play with some more.
    05-08-12 07:01 PM
    Try the ghost commander app in appworld I can see all the file shares on my windows 7 media center and grab files lots will not play on the playbook. I still need to play with some more.
    Ghost browser works well but I first have to select a file and then click on VIEW button to view it. When I am browsing my digital camera photos stored on a NAS drive, this becomes very awkward. On ipad there is an app called FileBrowser that is a joy to use: you just click on a file and it loads and display it. Then you just flick left or right to view previous/next image. ANYTHING LIKE THAT IN APPWORLD would just be GREAT!
    07-19-12 03:40 PM
    Ghost browser works well but I first have to select a file and then click on VIEW button to view it. When I am browsing my digital camera photos stored on a NAS drive, this becomes very awkward. On ipad there is an app called FileBrowser that is a joy to use: you just click on a file and it loads and display it. Then you just flick left or right to view previous/next image. ANYTHING LIKE THAT IN APPWORLD would just be GREAT!
    Sideload ES File Explorer. Click on a photo on a networked drive and it will open it in ES's native picture viewer.
    07-19-12 04:42 PM
    Have a look at an app called Remote Desktop.
    07-19-12 08:30 PM
    ...or, support a Developer. After reading this thread, I searched Apple World and found LAN File Explorer. Reviews are good and functionality seems to align with the poster's interests. $1.99. Support our Devs - we want them to succeed...
    07-20-12 12:13 AM
    Now that was funny. Autocorrect changed App World and I didn't notice. Yeesh.
    07-20-12 12:15 AM
    The auto-correct on Playbook is irritating. I fully support developers, no problem there. Just need to be sure that Lan file explorer can let me view images and navigate to next/previous with swipe gesture.

UPDATE: Checked out description of LAN File Explorer and it requires to install a file server on the host computer and leave it on and running 24x7... Not what I need, my files are on. Buffalo Linkstation Quad - just need something like Ghost Commander but sporting a better viewer with gesture support for navigation between images.
    Last edited by MEJazz; 07-20-12 at 12:30 AM.
    07-20-12 12:23 AM

UPDATE: Checked out description of LAN File Explorer and it requires to install a file server on the host computer and leave it on and running 24x7... Not what I need, my files are on. Buffalo Linkstation Quad - just need something like Ghost Commander but sporting a better viewer with gesture support for navigation between images.
    Lan File Explorers server does not need to be running 24/7, but you do need to run it if you want to access your PC files with the app. ES File Explorere does not need a dedicated server running on your PC and opens pics with one tap
    07-20-12 12:52 AM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD