hey Guys this is the first time I have run into this. Wondering if anyone else has ever seen it.

My Background:
    I have 3 playbooks ( well 2 are with the ex now ) , very experienced user, move files back and forth all the time wirlessly as well as wired and never an issue till now.

My 64 Gig playbook has started to do strange things with the vid.

I was copying over a season of my favorite show wirelessly ad noticed one day after doing this for years that only half the episodes were there. I just assumed there was a wirless fail so plugged in my PB to USB. the vid section on my network drive ( playbook ) shows all the files there ( mkv format ) ...which is odd.
    I then checked files and folders app and sure enough they are on the playbook but dont display on the vid screen . i find i can delete the current files from my pc wired or wirless and they dissapear from the vid display but i cant add any , no matter what type , wired or wirelss.. they all add fine to the playbook but never display on the vid screen .. sure enough after half an hour of testing all the vid files are gone .... as i test by deleting and trying to add.

so i think its a corrupted file on the playbook ( OS file ) so i wipe the whole thing , do the update and start over ... all is good , then i try and copy again today and it starts happening again . got about half my episodes and now the vid display seems "locked" and wont display about half the vid files i have sent over .. even avi ones I have sent before and i know work .

Anyone seen this or have a recomendation ?

Thanks .
    07-16-13 10:47 AM
    hey Guys this is the first time I have run into this. Wondering if anyone else has ever seen it.

My Background:
    I have 3 playbooks ( well 2 are with the ex now ) , very experienced user, move files back and forth all the time wirlessly as well as wired and never an issue till now.

My 64 Gig playbook has started to do strange things with the vid.

I was copying over a season of my favorite show wirelessly ad noticed one day after doing this for years that only half the episodes were there. I just assumed there was a wirless fail so plugged in my PB to USB. the vid section on my network drive ( playbook ) shows all the files there ( mkv format ) ...which is odd.
    I then checked files and folders app and sure enough they are on the playbook but dont display on the vid screen . i find i can delete the current files from my pc wired or wirless and they dissapear from the vid display but i cant add any , no matter what type , wired or wirelss.. they all add fine to the playbook but never display on the vid screen .. sure enough after half an hour of testing all the vid files are gone .... as i test by deleting and trying to add.

so i think its a corrupted file on the playbook ( OS file ) so i wipe the whole thing , do the update and start over ... all is good , then i try and copy again today and it starts happening again . got about half my episodes and now the vid display seems "locked" and wont display about half the vid files i have sent over .. even avi ones I have sent before and i know work .

Anyone seen this or have a recomendation ?

Thanks .
    Do you use native video player? Do you another player like Kalemsoft to test it out? Is the file per episode completely transfer? Have you try just transfer one episode and see if it's running ok?
    07-16-13 11:39 AM
    Thanks for Responding..
    I just use the native video player as i have never had an issue up till now ... The file per episode is complete so no coruption there.

I do have a bit of an update though .. this time it is doing something a litle different.. i can transfer avi and mp4 files fine .. it is just the mkv files that give me issues ..

oh and you did twig me on soemthing .. in both cases yesterday and today I would have one episode that didnt transfer over properly .. i would get the filmscrreen icon instead of the snapshot of the vid. Each time after deleting this file and trying to redownload the issue starts.. dont know how i missed that before ..
    so it seems like once one file is coruptd the videoplayer disables that file type from being run .. could this be engineered this way ? and if so how do i recover without having to reimage it ..

i think if i have to do it again I will do a clean boot , load all my settings and then just backup so i have a good restore point ..

Any other advice ?
    07-16-13 12:02 PM
    Well i can confirm now that if you get any type of coruption with an MKV file while copying over to PB ( maybe others too, and will be displayed by filmstrip icon instead of thumbnail ) that the PB will disable displaying or playing of that content. All files will copy over but the mkv files will not show or display. Upon a clean security wipe , all files will transfer and display ..

Hope this helps someone down the road and can come up with a way to re-enable th file type without a security wipe.
    07-16-13 12:50 PM
    Early on, and I mean more than a year ago, I would have that happen. The files would show when connected but the Video app did not show them. It was a hit and miss affair. Sometimes the video app would show them but at that time MovieSRTPlayer would not. But I think that problem dissolved and I don't recall having issues more recently.

As for those missing mkv files, I think that if they have the word audio component (codec), they may not show. The pb will only play certain mkv files. Or maybe it will show them but not play.

Have you looked using a file browser on the pb? Files&Folders, File Browser, Ghost Commander (android but available in bbworld store for free).

In other words, I'm stymied with your problem!

edited to add: you replied while I was formulating my useless reply!!!
    07-16-13 12:52 PM
    lol no worries .. any reply that creates discusion is not useless. .. at least i can sort of recreate the issue ...

1. transfer 10 mkv files to the pb
    2.hyperthetically one of them is corrupted ,
    3. delete said corrupted file in order to copy over a good copy
    4. that copy goes over fine along with any other mkv file , but since deleteing the corrupted one , none of the additional mkv files transfered to the PB will show in video mode or allow to be played.

i iwll do more research and update further.
    FF22 likes this.
    07-16-13 04:24 PM
    I am experiencing this also. MKV file types also.

I am finding it difficult to narrow down the exact cause and replicate it.

Occassionally I have been able to mess around renaming the affected files, or moving them to another folder and sometimes the Playbook will pick them up. But not consistently enough for it to be a sure fix.
    07-22-13 08:11 AM
    Thanks for Responding..
    I just use the native video player as i have never had an issue up till now ... The file per episode is complete so no coruption there.

I do have a bit of an update though .. this time it is doing something a litle different.. i can transfer avi and mp4 files fine .. it is just the mkv files that give me issues ..

oh and you did twig me on soemthing .. in both cases yesterday and today I would have one episode that didnt transfer over properly .. i would get the filmscrreen icon instead of the snapshot of the vid. Each time after deleting this file and trying to redownload the issue starts.. dont know how i missed that before ..
    so it seems like once one file is coruptd the videoplayer disables that file type from being run .. could this be engineered this way ? and if so how do i recover without having to reimage it ..

i think if i have to do it again I will do a clean boot , load all my settings and then just backup so i have a good restore point ..

Any other advice ?
    I have no clue why the native video player does that, like someone suggest, that could be engineering issue or perhaps it's the playbook set up to prevent corrupted files. Though if the file downloaded show a film icon, it usually indicate an incomplete file rather than format conflict. It did not take me long before I purchase Kalemsoft. I have not look back since.
    07-22-13 08:31 AM
    I have had some success (not 100%) with the following:
    -Close video app
    -Move affected files to another folder (eg misc)
    -Reboot
    -Open video app
    -close video app
    -move affected files back into Videos folder
    -open video app.

The move operations are instant so obviously it is a lot quicker than re-copying onto the Playbook, especially when dealing with dozens of files that dont show up.
    FF22 likes this.
    07-22-13 08:52 AM