I've had some problems recently with videos I have sent over to my playbook. When I send videos over to my playbook (different shows, same issues) some do not show up in the videos app/folder. I can find them when I use a file and folders app showing me that they have been sent correctly but cannot play them. I've deleted and resent files and still the same issue. I tried to do a quick search to find if anyone had similar issues but could not find anything. I'm on the beta 2.1.0.840 os.

Any advice would be appreciated
    09-30-12 05:32 PM
    Do no videos play? I can play videos on 840. I wonder whether it is a codec issue that your videos are coded in?
    09-30-12 05:41 PM
    All the videos play correctly, it's just some of them don't show up in the videos folder even when they are sent over to the playbook. They are all converted the same way and all work when I can see them in the videos folder.
    09-30-12 05:43 PM
    How are you "sending" videos to your PB? Details.
    09-30-12 06:34 PM
    Make sure the codecs used to convert them videos match the ones the PlayBook can use. If some are showing and some aren't, then I bet they are not as "the same" as you think.
    09-30-12 06:34 PM
    I'm just dragging and dropping them. And they are all converted the same way because when I delete em off playbook and resend the same exact file, it tends to show up either the second or third retry without changing the converted filed.
    09-30-12 09:18 PM
    I have the same problem with the Sherlock Holmes video that was free last week. It does not show up in the native file manager in Videos, even though the count says it is there. The count says (2) and I have only the HD demo video (which shows) and the Sherlock movie on the device (does not show). Both videos show up in Air file browser. Playbook plays both videos. Anyone know why?
    10-01-12 10:31 AM
    I have the same problem with the Sherlock Holmes video that was free last week. It does not show up in the native file manager in Videos, even though the count says it is there. The count says (2) and I have only the HD demo video (which shows) and the Sherlock movie on the device (does not show). Both videos show up in Air file browser. Playbook plays both videos. Anyone know why?
    Files (the app) does not show all files in the file system... Only the ones natively supported by the OS.
    10-01-12 10:41 AM
    I guess it has to do something with that. I was trying to upload the Sherlock video to Skydrive through the browser. Since I couldn't find it, I tried to upload the HD demo. Skydrive said it was an "empty" file. I guess that file could be in ROM since it disappears when you reload an OS, I think. So I tried one of the 2 MP3 files that came with the PB and it uploaded fine. But couldn't play it from the PB. Kinda a mess.
    10-01-12 12:04 PM
    The stock File Browser is good for people who are technically challenged and who have difficulty navigating through the PB's folder structure. Thus, if you have pictures in your download folder, your camera folder, your photos folder, and elsewhere, they'll all conveniently show up in one place in File Browser. However, if you have a thousand pics loaded on your PB and you're looking for that one pic, that maybe you took two years ago, finding it in File Browser can be quite a chore. Plus, File Browser only "sees" certain kinds of files, and by that I mean it only sees files with particular file extensions. Thus, in the Videos part of the browser, it will see MP4 files, avi files, and wmv files, but will not see mkv files, flv (flash) files, or ismv files (the extension of the Sherlock Holmes vid) even though these types of files are supported by the playbook.

Alternatively , for those who are not so technically challenged and who are used to and comfortable navigating their PC using Windows Explorer, File Browser seems woefully inadequate in comparison. The good thing is that there are alternatives available that are much closer in functionality to Windows Explorer. Natively, Air Browser, already mentioned, is one with basic funtionality and Files and Folders is another with many added functions. From the Android side, Ghost Commander and ES File Explorer are both excellent. The point is, if you're not technically challenged, avoid using File Browser unless you absolutely have to- and you should rarely "have to" since for most functions there is a way to or workaround for accomplishing what you want to do without having to use File Browser.
    Gooseberry Falls and m12k1177 like this.
    10-01-12 02:28 PM
    Download Files & Folders. Not only will it see the video as it has built in support for SkyDrive.

And if after that you still think it is useful, buy the app.
    Last edited by diegonei; 10-01-12 at 03:59 PM.
    10-01-12 03:51 PM
    Same issue here. Downloading Files & Folders or any other file manager app allows me to see the files, but I still can't play them.

To be clear, I downloaded a season of a show in the same format (as best as I can tell). About half the episodes show up in the Videos folder and can be played. The others can only be seen with other file manager apps but clicking on them doesn't play them. Anyone know any file manager apps from which videos can be played directly?

Or any other recommendations?

Thanks very much!
    03-13-13 07:56 PM
    Do they show up in the Video app with a thumbnail of the movie/video? Or just a film-reel icon or other? Sometimes, files don't copy over fully or correctly and they will NOT work or play and might not show up. You can try copying them again - one at a time, rather than as a group copy? How are you copying them over- Drag/drop or Desktop Software?
    03-13-13 09:01 PM
    may not be on the right track here but i found a lot of my videos were downloaded in the flv format forgot they were there untill i downloaded a fee app called( movieflv player) from blackberry world.
    03-14-13 05:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD