Anyone else notice that the blackberry does a horrible job of resizing video content on the playbook?

For example if I am playing a SD res video from my playbook onto my TV, all it does is double the pixels so everything looks all jaggy, rather than a smoother resize that a computer would do (or even my TV if I give it a low res signal).

Also if I'm playing back flash video, if I pinch to zoom in closer in the webpage, it resizes nicely. If I select full screen, it goes all pixelly.

Any way to fix this? Makes the playbook a crappy way to play back videos.

The only workaround I found, was to set the HDMI output to SD resolution so my TV will resize, but then I have to change it to watch HD content. Very disappointing.
    06-01-11 01:48 PM
    I'm just trying to understand what you're doing. What is your HDMI setting at on the Playbook? 1:1? Stretch?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-01-11 01:51 PM
    actually its not that bad what i am having trouble with is full screen movies the 1027x480 (damn handbrake) squashes full screen. but wide screen displays with a 1/2" border on the top or bottum. im going to try 720x480 and some other resolutions on the older full screens like back to the future. i would love it if someone would figure out the settings i lost interest a while back when i got frustrated with back to the future conversion. but like i got iron man on right now and 1027x480 squashes it horribly. but iron man 2 on 1027x480 is perfect :P.
    ill get my conversions right eventully but no its not the pb fault its just the conversion.
    Last edited by drethos; 06-01-11 at 02:02 PM.
    06-01-11 01:56 PM
    I've tried all the settings. 1:1 of course just shows it in a small box. Even if you have a lower resolution flash video on the screen and set full screen, it doesn't do a smooth resize, it just enlarges the pixels, making it hard to look at.

Of course on a bigger screen you notice the poor resize more because you've just enlarged 720 pixels to 1920
    06-01-11 01:59 PM
    Ok. So you are bummed 720p/1080p online videos do not show up untouched when output HDMI? If so, yeah that annoys me too.

06-01-11 02:12 PM
    In part, mostly I'm just dissapointed in the crappy resizing job the playbook does. When it makes the image bigger, the pixels just get bigger. If you resize a video on your computer, it smooths things out so it looks natural. With all that processing power the playbook should be able to do it. Hopefully that comes with a future update
    06-01-11 02:52 PM
    Yeah, I see what you mean.

I really just want 1:1 to mean 1:1 for the content being played and not the Playbooks resolution. I'd like to watch online videos, in say 1080p, to be untouched fullscreen 1080p on my 1080p TV.

06-01-11 02:55 PM
    There are 3 things to take into account, aspect ratio of the original, the resolution and square or non sqaure pixels. If the video resolution is only dvd qaulity (480) your content is going to look bad on any 1080p TV unless the PB actually has upscaling built into it. Which even if the PB did have, probably won't come close to the qaulity that you get from a dedicated blue ray player/dvd player.

a lot of films are not in true 16:9 aspect ratio and the black lines and borders are added to make it 16:9
    06-01-11 03:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD