Hi everyone,

I have an important video that was filmed with the playbook camera. It is a large video (over 3GB). I've spent hours trying to get this video off of the playbook and onto my pc. I'm able to transfer the file just fine, it's just that it won't play on the pc. I've tried all sorts of players, including vlc, mplayer, etc. When I try to play the file with mplayer, I get:
    Code:
    Playing test.mp4.
    libavformat version 53.21.1 (external)
    Mismatching header version 53.19.0
    libavformat file format detected.
    [mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2 @ 0x2aaaaed018c0]moov atom not found
    LAVF_header: av_open_input_stream() failed
    ISO: File Type Major Brand: ISO/IEC 14496-1 (MPEG-4 system) v1
    MOV: missing header (moov/cmov) chunk! Maybe broken file...

Exiting... (End of file)
    The file plays fine on the playbook. I've installed a terminal app on the playbook and checked the file size in the camera folder on the playbook and it is exactly the same as what was transferred to my computer.

Any suggestions? It's really important that I can get this video off of the playbook and into a more portable format. Thank you for your help!
    08-01-13 03:56 AM
    You need to look at some MP4 video file repair options, everything displayed in MPlayer indicates the file is corrupted. The PlayBook is likely just ignoring the errors. You can also try converting the file to another format as well, that might work or even uploading it to YouTube privately and see if YouTube will render through the errors.

Worst case, find something else to record the video from the PlayBook. Attach it to an TV through an HDMI cable and record the TV display or something along those lines. As long as the PlayBook continues to play the file, there will always be a way to get it off.
    FF22 likes this.
    08-01-13 04:38 AM
    Can try this software: Grau GmbH Hardware & Software Solutions - HD Video Repair Utility

Haven't used it myself, but the trial version will save half the repaired file. It'll give you an idea if the file can be repaired at least, but the price of the software is pretty steep. If it's an extremely important vid, may be worth the cost to you. As stated, if you can find a way, might be worth it to try and somehow record off the HDMI out. For the price of the above software, might be able to buy an HDMI in card for your PC.
    Have you tried players like MPC-HC, kmplayer or potplayer? Not sure what OS you are running on, as you say PC, so I assume windows. If you are using Linux, then not sure what else you might be able to use.

Good luck!
    FF22 likes this.
    08-01-13 08:10 AM
    I would suggest trying to copy it again, if possible. I find that sometimes when I copy a very large file, Windows will kind of "reserve" space for it and even if it does not complete, the file space/property of the file will still show the full size. I would guess that that size file could take a while, I'd suggest trying to keep both the pb and the computer from going into hibernate or standby so that nothing interrupts the copying process if possible. Also, how did you copy it? Drag and drop or using the BB Desktop software?

You could also try the new LINK software from bb.

Good luck
    Carl Estes likes this.
    08-01-13 09:00 AM
    Hi everyone,

I have an important video that was filmed with the playbook camera. It is a large video (over 3GB). I've spent hours trying to get this video off of the playbook and onto my pc. I'm able to transfer the file just fine, it's just that it won't play on the pc. I've tried all sorts of players, including vlc, mplayer, etc. When I try to play the file with mplayer, I get:
    Code:
    Playing test.mp4.
    libavformat version 53.21.1 (external)
    Mismatching header version 53.19.0
    ISO: File Type Major Brand: ISO/IEC 14496-1 (MPEG-4 system) v1
    MOV: missing header (moov/cmov) chunk! Maybe broken file...

Exiting... (End of file)
    The file plays fine on the playbook. I've installed a terminal app on the playbook and checked the file size in the camera folder on the playbook and it is exactly the same as what was transferred to my computer.

Any suggestions? It's really important that I can get this video off of the playbook and into a more portable format. Thank you for your help!
    Try playing it with KM Player. It's free on the net and I haven't yet come across a video which does not work with it.
    08-01-13 09:32 AM
    Can you stream the video from your PB to your PC using VLC, either wirelessly or through USB?
    08-01-13 09:45 AM
    Thank you for the suggestions everyone. I've tried all the different players that I could think of, from ffmpeg on my linux machine to virtualdub and KMplayer on my windows laptop, and nothing works. It is pretty maddening since the video plays just fine on the playbook!

To answer some questions, I got the video off of the playbook a first time via uploading it to Google Drive. When this didn't work, I uploaded it to my linux machine that is running owncloud (like an opensource dropbox), which I then downloaded to my windows laptop also. The usb port is damaged, so the only way to get the vidoe off is through some wireless transfer. During the second transfer, I made sure that the Playbook didn't go to sleep. I installed a terminal app on the playbook and compared the file size with the file size on my linux desktop and they are identical.

I also tried transferring other videos, and these worked fine. The video that doesn't work is 3GB in size (almost 1 hour), while all the others that do work are 1GB or less. I'm not sure if this file size has anything to do with it though.

My next course of action is to try to stream the video to another computer and then capture it there. I'm trying to use VLC, but I can't get the Playbook to find the web interface that's running on my linux desktop (although I have no trouble connecting to this interface with my laptop). As a last resort, I'll try playing the video onto a tv with the hdmi cable, and then filming the tv with a video camera.
    08-01-13 05:25 PM
    A long shot, but does the file system you are copying to support files of this size?

Try downloading Freemake Video Converter (it's free). Drag the video file into the queue, and convert it to an MP4 file - configure the settings to match the original quality. If this works, you are basically re-encoding the file into the same format - since the PlayBook will play it, I'm guessing there are just some corrupted headers and nothing to do with the video content itself.
    08-01-13 05:42 PM
    I just tried Freemake Video Converter, and it refuses to open the file. Does anyone know of any apps that I could install on the playbook to convert the video into another format? Maybe a video editor or something? I can't seem to find anything.

The file systems I am copying to do support large file sizes (ext4, and ntfs). I'm wondering if the playbook does anything funky internally with the large files. Perhaps it secretly splits it into two parts or something like that to overcome some filesystem limitation that it may have?
    08-01-13 06:56 PM
    I can't find it but there is a PB app that can convert video formats. Probably to a format that the pb can use but maybe it would tackle the native video format and create a copy that is different.

I don't know if you have tried Kalemsoft app. But it can play videos on a computer using wifi sharing and it has a Record function. I don't know if it would play the version you have on your computer and kind of re-record it. Also, might provide a test if the file on the computer can be played on the pb or if the copy is flawed. Not a cheap experiment as it is $5 or $6 in appworld.
    08-01-13 08:06 PM
    I just wanted to let everyone know that the problem is solved! It turns out that transfering the file wirelessly via the samba protocol worked! I other words, I connected to the playbook at this address: smb://192.168.1.70 (your address would be different). I think it has to do with the file size. Uploading the file directly to google drive or something like that does not work if the file is too large (2 GB?). I tried multiple times, and the file size looked like it transfered fine, but something was obviously wrong. Uploading to google drive worked for smaller files (1 GB and less).

Anyway, if someone finds themselves in the same position, just follow the instructions here: How to copy files to and from a BlackBerry PlayBook using Wi-Fi Sharing Inside BlackBerry Help Blog and you should be fine. Thank you for the help everyone!
    FF22 likes this.
    08-07-13 10:10 AM
    Good info which may definitely help others.
    08-07-13 11:28 AM