When I plug in the micro HDMI cable from my tv to the Playbook, neither the tv nor the playbook recognizes being connected. Am I doing something wrong? When I go Source on the tv, it does not even recognize HDMI has an option. I replaced the original HDMI cable thinking maybe it was the problem, but still same issue. Any insight would be appreciated.
    12-29-11 06:53 PM
    try toggling mirror mode to on in the hdmi settings if it's not already on. it greys out the rest of the options.
    12-29-11 07:00 PM
    I just bought my min HDMI today to try it out, and also didnt work at first. I have mine going through my reciever then to my TV, i just had to change my 4th HDMI input to HDMI so it would recognize it, now works fine, just double check all your connections and settings
    12-29-11 07:01 PM
    It should be simple and straightforward. Connect your PB to your Tvs HDMI port(I am guessing you do have a HDTV), go to the channel/input to select that particular HDMI port and you should see your PB mirrored on the HDTV.
    There are more than 1 HDMI port on the HDTVs, make sure you are selecting the right one that is connected to your PB.

Next to check is go to PB settings, click on the wheel on the top right corner from the home screen, goto HDMI from the dropdown menu, make sure it says 'Mirror' as ON, and also when you connect your cable the menu should show as 'connected'.
    Give them a try and let us know.

Good luck
    jafobabe likes this.
    12-29-11 07:02 PM
    Your TV should allow you to select the port # that the hdmi cable is connected to on the back of the TV. If you presently have a DVD player connected to the TV and that works, just plug the Playbook cable in there for now, since you know that's working.

Then, on the Playbook, in Settings, you need to go to HDMI. I set "default to mirror mode" on, aspect ratio to "stretch" and HDMI Audio to on. Then, whatever is on the screen of your Playbook should also be on the screen of the TV.
    jafobabe likes this.
    12-29-11 07:03 PM
    This is all very good info, but it still does not seem to be working. I don't have a DVD player at the moment, so my set up is very simple with a HDMI cable from my Rogers box to my tv. So I unplugged that HDMI cable and plugged in the micro HDMI cable, but when I do the Source does not give me the option of a HDMI cable, as if it does not recognize it. Is it possible that the port of my Playbook is defective? Has anyone heard about such a problem?
    12-29-11 07:21 PM
    post a screen shot of your hdmi options page when you are trying to connect to the tv. that will give us some clues.

to take a screen shot, press the volume up and volume down buttons at the same time.
    12-29-11 07:43 PM
    see attached
    12-29-11 07:58 PM
    Where did you get that cable? and did you test it with a direct connection to that or another TV?
    12-29-11 08:00 PM
    What type of TV? I have a Samsung and had to turn off Anynet+ to get it to work.
    12-29-11 08:07 PM
    Yes it is very possible that you could have a defective hdmi port on your PB. You already replaced the cord once and it still doesn't work. I had the same problem and had to send my 32 to RIM for repair.

When you have it plugged in and all settings are set and you are still looking at a blank screen with no signal try moving the cord to the left and right. If you should see the screen change then it probably is the hdmi port on the PB. Call support and they will troubleshoot the problem with you.

i did send mine away. Talking to support on the phone and in subsequent emails from the young lady I spoke with I was told that a loose port is a known issue. It is however fixable. They send you a box and all the paperwork to send it to them at no cost to you. I had mine back fixed in a week.

AND not only did they fix the port but they also replaced the power button assembly from being flush and frustrating to use to raised and easy to use.
    12-29-11 08:07 PM
    Future Shop. Its a Rocketfish cable. I am on my second one, so I doubt I would be so unlucky to get two faulty cables. I have two HD tv's in the house and I have tried it on both with no success.
    12-29-11 08:10 PM
    not saying the cable is the problem however I have seen and heard that rocketfish has crappy cables. might try another brand if all else fails. good luck.
    12-29-11 08:19 PM
    People have had problems with certain brands of cables.

Since it sounds as if you are in Canada, there's some Tire/Auto store where folks have found cables up there that seem to have worked. Sorry, I don't recall the name.
    12-29-11 09:38 PM
    Thanks for all the help. I have ordered the cable from Amazon that alot of people seem to have had success with, hopefully that works. F2, were you referring to Canadian Tire?
    12-30-11 07:43 AM
    I believe he is thinking of Princess Auto.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ss-auto-669777
    12-30-11 09:08 AM
    Thanks for all the help. I have ordered the cable from Amazon that alot of people seem to have had success with, hopefully that works. F2, were you referring to Canadian Tire?
    Sorry but I really don't recall. At first I was kind of surprised that an auto/tire store sold that type of cable but then realized it is probably related to RV's which have all kinds of electronics and big screen tv's etc.
    12-30-11 10:21 AM
    Princess Auto stores have a section of the store known as Surplus where you can find all kinds of goodies for the electronic enthusiast cheap. Lots are name brand and are sold as clearance items.
    Consumer Electronics | Electrical | Surplus | Princess Auto
    12-30-11 02:20 PM
    Back to the problem at hand for the OP... You can keep trying out and playing with cords or you can call the RIM helpline... your choice. If u think its the cord take it back to the store u bought it from and bring your playbook with you and ask to try hooking it up to a display model.

In my case it was the port and the fix and quick turn around was worth more than the aggravation I had searching for the easy fix on my own.
    12-30-11 02:33 PM
    Canadian Tire seems like an odd place to buy HDMI cables. Maybe Princess Auto?
    I get mine from monoprice.com. I used a micro-HDMI to HDMI adapter and a regular HDMI cable but will be ordering a micro-HDMI cable for travel. They are so much thinner.
    12-30-11 03:36 PM
    This is all very good info, but it still does not seem to be working. I don't have a DVD player at the moment, so my set up is very simple with a HDMI cable from my Rogers box to my tv. So I unplugged that HDMI cable and plugged in the micro HDMI cable, but when I do the Source does not give me the option of a HDMI cable, as if it does not recognize it. Is it possible that the port of my Playbook is defective? Has anyone heard about such a problem?

My PB had a defective HDMI out. Called BB support, explained the issue & went through all of their troubleshooting suggestions; still didn't work. I ended up sending my PB in for repair (all shipping & materials paid by BB) on a Monday afternoon & had it back on Thursday afternoon with everything working properly. Good luck getting yours working properly.
    sllock likes this.
    12-30-11 08:55 PM
    staples has a micro hdmi cable, 6ft for $14.99. it's even labeled for use with the playbook. and sold in the playbook displays they have going right now.
    12-31-11 05:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD