I've tried to put some MKV videos onto the PB.

Funny thing is that there's a thumbnail of a scene in the video, however when I try to open I get "This file type isn't supported"
    02-21-12 09:27 AM
    I tried an MKV of season 1 Fringe and it works where as before it didnt. Havent tried any movies, even if it did work, you wouldnt get sound. But the smaller TV shows worked ok.
    02-21-12 09:45 AM
    maybe it has to deal with the codecs used in the mkv.
    02-21-12 09:50 AM
    Yes it is the codes... Some movies will work for me where as some will not work and others will play but have no sound
    02-21-12 10:05 AM
    I havent updated to 2.0 yet, but have you tried the MX Player from the new app world (free)? Doesnt it play MKV?
    02-21-12 10:16 AM
    I havent updated to 2.0 yet, but have you tried the MX Player from the new app world (free)? Doesnt it play MKV?
    I can't seem to find anything called MX Player.. Do you see it in the app store?
    02-21-12 10:24 AM
    Had Drive on 1.0 and now it says it's unsupported, all my other movies still work though.
    02-21-12 10:27 AM
    I put a mkv on it earlier and it didnt work. I tried to use MovieSRTPlayer and Vplayer (Android app) and those didn't work either. Converted the movie to mp4 using PC which only took about 15min and works great now with native video player.
    02-21-12 10:28 AM
    Yah I can convert files to avoid mostly but to have native mkv with all the codes would be nice

Can't find the mx player either
    02-21-12 10:30 AM
    I can't seem to find anything called MX Player.. Do you see it in the app store?
    I havent upgraded to 2.0 yet, but this is what i found from another thread, see if it works:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by matt_c
    Any recommendations for Android media players that work well on the PB & have good MKV + AC3/DTS support?

MX Video Player. Search for the bar file and you'll find it. Works beautifully.
    02-21-12 02:11 PM
    The MKV container is definitely supported... All codecs? Not yet.
    02-21-12 02:14 PM
    I havent upgraded to 2.0 yet, but this is what i found from another thread, see if it works:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by matt_c
    Any recommendations for Android media players that work well on the PB & have good MKV + AC3/DTS support?

MX Video Player. Search for the bar file and you'll find it. Works beautifully.
    Tried mx Video Player but it says unsupported Device,if you have a working one plz Shareware it with us
    02-21-12 02:32 PM
    My mkv videos do work so far..I haven't checked which audio codecs they are..

That's with the native video player.
    02-21-12 02:37 PM
    Yah I can convert files to avoid mostly but to have native mkv with all the codes would be nice
    I agree. Not all my MKV movies play on the new OS either.
    02-21-12 04:03 PM
    It is to do with the AC3 codec. This is an expensive license for manufacturers to pay for in order to allow it to be supported on their devices. A lot of videos are now moving to free ACC audio instead, this is the one supported by BB.
    02-21-12 04:24 PM
    thank you turnipy, no one likes to use the search function... and for those stating that android and ipad are able to use them,are completely wrong and very annoying...
    02-21-12 04:28 PM
    02-21-12 04:34 PM
    does anyone have a link to the mx player bar file? i can't find it anywhere
    07-29-12 01:15 PM
    It is to do with the AC3 codec. This is an expensive license for manufacturers to pay for in order to allow it to be supported on their devices. A lot of videos are now moving to free ACC audio instead, this is the one supported by BB.
    ats...berry

This says it all. Sometimes its just easier to convert files, in this case its an audio codec. I recommend buying any video converter. It will run you 30 bucks but playback formats will never be an issue again.
    07-29-12 01:26 PM
    Save your 30 bucks. There are a number of free converters available.
    07-29-12 01:29 PM
    does anyone have a link to the mx player bar file? i can't find it anywhere
    Doesn't work, at least on 2.1 beta. If you're looking for any video player that plays any video that the native player won't (except for flash vids) I think you're out of luck.
    07-29-12 01:48 PM
    I've converted any MKV files to MP4 files using DVD Catalyst 4, which has settings for the PlayBook. It makes a lot of difference in terms of how much space is taken up. For example, a typical episode of Mad Men converted from Blu-Ray to MKV is anywhere from 6-8 GB but after converting them from MKV to MP4 using the PlayBook settings on DVD Catalyst 4, they run about 450 MB per episode. You can put an entire season of Mad Men (or other TV shows that run shorter seasons than most shows) on your PlayBook and take up less than 6 GB on it.
    07-29-12 02:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD