I purchased my Playbook from Canada and now I'm in Saudi Arabia. Tried adding a friend only to get the following message:

"The Playbook Video Chat service is not available in your location"

Does this video chat only work in the US/Canada or does it work in other regions as well. I tried searching but found nothing and this is extremely frustrating and disappointing to the say the least
    01-06-12 11:15 AM
    Could it be a local block by the powers-that-be?

I think folks in Europe have been able to use it.

Some more folks should be by soon with more answers.
    Vector-SS likes this.
    01-06-12 11:45 AM
    Video chat software is not working in Ksa and Uae due to their regulations.
    01-06-12 02:03 PM
    do skype video calls work in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (KSA) and/or the United Arab Emirates (UAE)?
    01-06-12 02:10 PM
    Sigh, I thought that would be the case.

Skype does work in Saudi Arabia, go figure. I was told that Skype works in certain parts of the UAE. Unfortunately, laws and regulations in this part of the world are extremely contradictory and confusing to the say the least.

My only hope would be a working Skype app sometime in the near future
    01-06-12 02:17 PM
    One possible reasoning behind disabling PlayBook video chat like the FaceTime video feature on the iPhone4/iPad2 could be the Service Providers wanting to force the consumer to use their 3G video calls.

Installed AV by AoL, without being able to coordinate a convenient time with my friends. Anxiously waiting for a working Skype equivalent service that is available in the AppWorld for the Middle East, as most of the AppWorld goodies don't work in this part of the world.
    01-14-12 12:43 PM
    Well, I'm in Neuw Yo1k, USA and the Video Chat doesn't work either... when I clicked to open the app, a message "Unable to connect to Video Chat Service.

Bought my PB from a local Staples here and using OS v2.0.0.6149 beta, is it because of the OS beta?

Another thing, will I not be able to use the PB Video Chat? I'm planning to travel to asia; Singapore, Bali and Ausie. Of course I will be bringing the PB and rapid charger only and this time leaving my laptop, because the places I'm going I will have to a computer or laptop access [relatives & friends].
    Last edited by B_Berry; 01-14-12 at 01:56 PM.
    01-14-12 01:13 PM
    Video Chat as far as I'm aware is not working/present in the Dev Builds of OS2.0.
    01-14-12 01:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD