I have two Playbooks on OS2.0 sharing the same Blackberry ID. I'm trying to use Video Chat via Playbook PIN's and I'm not having any luck. Call attempts fail with "The person you called is not currently available".

- both Playbooks have Accept Calls On
    - both Playbooks are on the same home wi-fi network, i.e. same router
    - the router has firewall enabled (Toggling off the firewall doesn't seem to help and I'd rather have it on. Skype works from the desktop computer with firewall on.)
    - in Contacts, both Playbooks show each other with green video chat icons. Turning off Accept Calls will actually change the state of the video chat icon to gray, as expected. (The state change doesn't update immediately, but after a failed call.) This tells me that the Playbooks are talking to RIM's servers?
    - I'm not getting the "A Firewall is preventing Video Chat from connecting" or "Unable to Connect to Server" error messages. []BlackBerry Technical Solution Center. This leads me to believe that the Playbooks are able to see RIM's servers?
    - Some people have reported that putting the Playbook in the DMZ (DeMilitarized Zone) of the router works, but it's risky security-wise (The Playbook is open to the general internet.). My router only allows for one IP address in the DMZ, which isn't useful with my two Playbooks.
    - The alternative to DMZ is port forwarding, which is more secure. My router only allows specific IP's to be used and since the Playbook IP's are dynamically allocated, setting this isn't helpful. []KB26816-Using BlackBerry PlayBook Video Chat behind a firewall

My request to my fellow Crackberrians:

Could someone with two Playbooks sharing the same Blackberry ID's please try to use Video Chat via Playbook PIN's and report whether it works or not? I'd like to isolate out whether it's a problem with Video Chat or my router/home wi-fi.

Thank you!
    02-26-12 03:42 PM
    I imagine the software is set up to deal with each caller on a separate, not the same, wireless connection. One of you shouldgo elsewhere and try to call in.
    cbvinh likes this.
    02-26-12 06:08 PM
    use the port forwarding with the dynamic addresses and see what happens. when a lease occurs and expires the device that had the ip has first dibs on getting it again. i have systems that have had the same ip for years after multiple reboots and even being shut down for months
    cbvinh likes this.
    02-26-12 10:42 PM
    I just got back from a friend's place and tried Video Chat with the two Playbooks on his wi-fi. I got the same result.

@pickles02: There's only one of me! LOL! I'm just trying to test Video Chat. I really don't have any actual use for Video Chatting with myself.

@amro: My router doesn't have the option for port forwarding with dynamic addresses. I have to enter specific IP addresses (see images). Since the Playbooks get the next two predictable IP addresses, I did try setting the port forwarding for the typical addresses they get, but the router wouldn't accept the same External Port for two different IP addresses.

To eliminate the possibility that two Playbooks can't be on the same wi-fi network to Video Chat, can someone with two Playbooks with different Blackberry ID's try to Video Chat?

Video Chat:

2 Playbooks, 1 shared Blackberry ID, 1 wi-fi network - no go?
    2 Playbooks, 2 Blackberry ID's, 1 wi-fi network - ?

I guess this exercise is for people interested in testing Video Chat while at home before the Playbooks go on their separate ways or people interested in using the Playbooks as intercoms...
    02-27-12 01:59 AM
    I did some more research and Port Triggering seems to be the port forwarding with dynamic addresses that amro was talking about?

As a test, I tried:

Triggered Range: 443 - 65535
    Forwarded Range: 443 - 65535

This covers all of the ports 443, 3478 and 45535 - 65535 that RIM suggests. Anyway, it didn't work.

Further research says that if UPnP is enabled, all of this port forwarding is automatic...

Port Forwarding - DD-WRT Wiki

(The link above isn't for my router, but the information looks general enough for any router.)

Any clues?
    02-27-12 03:11 AM
    I got two playbooks for the kids and they have seperate ids on the same wifi and they do video chat with each other just fine on ly problem is one of the playbooks doesn't show its its available to video chat but it does just fine
    cbvinh likes this.
    02-27-12 03:44 AM
    Well, ur situation and mine are actually the same, op!

I got 2 pbs and both using the same I'd.

Indeed, I use a ddrt router and I can't connect the 2 pbs in vid chat. I've told my friend to try vid chat my pb one at the time, both with success.

Then I tried connect 1 of d pb using my 9900 hotspot and the other 1 using my wifi router, and waalaaaaaa.. Connection made!

I can conclude, the culprit is definitely my wifi router.. I don't know y it can't handle the request if both connected using the router, but I can assure u, the connection can be made using different source of internet.

Hope this helps.
    cbvinh likes this.
    02-27-12 05:45 AM
    Thank you tumer and prebetsabu! You've tested both test cases I was hoping for!

In summary,

Video Chat:

2 Playbooks, 1 shared Blackberry ID, 1 wi-fi network, use Playbook PIN's - doesn't work
    2 Playbooks, 1 shared Blackberry ID, 2 wi-fi networks, use Playbook PIN's - works
    2 Playbooks, 2 Blackberry ID's, 1 wi-fi network - works

Since the case of 1 wi-fi network and 2 Blackberry ID's work, it must be a software issue, not a wi-fi network issue.

Now how to forward this info to RIM? It should be easy for them to duplicate the problem and hopefully fix.
    02-27-12 10:47 AM
    Hello cbvinh,

So just to be sure if the two Playbooks that use the same ID are on seperate wifi networks this should work? Also when setting up the contacts do you just fill in the PIN information or do you also have to put in the BB ID?

Just got a second PB recently and was researching the Video chat feature and thought this would be a great way to communicate with family when away from home.
    04-11-12 07:52 AM
    Hello,

I have two playbook. One I have given it to my dad and the another one I use it for personal use. I have been having regular video chats with my dad without any issues so far. My dad and I both of us have different accounts. All of a sudden from past couple of days my dad's video chat has started creating issues and when I try calling him it says Call attempts fail with "The person you called is not currently available". I have asked him to resent his playbook and he has tried draining his battery and letting the playbook start again, still I am facing the issue. Could someone please suggest what can be done to resolve this issue. Thanks.
    06-18-12 10:28 AM
    Hi

Clients of mine have two 16Gb PlayBooks (latest non-Beta OS, etc)

They share the same BB ID

On both PBs, I have set them up as two separate Contacts entries, using the PB PIN for each to differentiate the PlayBooks

I believe that they always go via the Contacts App (eg click on the PB Pin) to connect to each other, however it is not impossible that they have contacted each other by going straight from the Video Chat App

I tested these two PBs on their home network and they video-chatted to each other no problem

The clients have video-chatted to each other when on different networks (eg one at home, one at the office about 5 miles away)

They have two minor video chatting issues:
    1) if one of them is connected to the internet via Bridge (not Wi-Fi), then either a) they can't connect, or b) sometimes it connects then drops
    2) if their home network has a lot of other traffic on it (eg children using headsets for VOIP on Xbox) then the wi-fi connection on the home PB drops (even though it is initially showing a full signal)

Hope this helps

Good Luck

Alex
    Last edited by BigAl_BB9900; 06-18-12 at 01:23 PM. Reason: clarification
    06-18-12 12:18 PM
    Hello,

I have two playbook. One I have given it to my dad and the another one I use it for personal use. I have been having regular video chats with my dad without any issues so far. My dad and I both of us have different accounts. All of a sudden from past couple of days my dad's video chat has started creating issues and when I try calling him it says Call attempts fail with "The person you called is not currently available". I have asked him to resent his playbook and he has tried draining his battery and letting the playbook start again, still I am facing the issue. Could someone please suggest what can be done to resolve this issue. Thanks.
    Hi Rishi

Suggest you get your father to try the usual fixes... in order:
    1) restart (from tapping the battery icon)
    2) soft restart (holding down the power key for 20 seconds)
    3) hard restart (holding down the power key, THEN pressing both volume buttons at the same time, for 30 seconds - note: if you hear the photo shutter 'click' you have missed the power key.....)

These three fix many PB problems...

Hope this helps - good luck

Alex
    06-18-12 01:26 PM
    I have the same same issue. My friend and I bought playbook hoping this videochat will work but then everytime we made a call there is an error message "the person you called is not currently available". So we tried calling someone else playbook and it works but when its our time to call each other same error message appears. We already do security wipe and rebooting our playbooks. I really dont know whats the problem. Can somebody help me here.
    06-21-12 12:46 PM
    I have 2 PB set up at the office on the same WIFI with 2 different BBID, when I use mine to call the other one its ok, but when I try to do the opposite I get the error ''the person you called is not currently available''. Both PB are set with receive call ON. I hope it will work when we will be on 2 different WIFI.
    08-20-12 02:54 PM
    In summary,

Video Chat:

2 Playbooks, 1 shared Blackberry ID, 1 wi-fi network, use Playbook PIN's - doesn't work
    2 Playbooks, 1 shared Blackberry ID, 2 wi-fi networks, use Playbook PIN's - works
    2 Playbooks, 2 Blackberry ID's, 1 wi-fi network - works
    Hi vinh

I have managed to get a client's two PB's to video chat in the same house (same wi-fi network)

Set up two contacts - 1 for David, 1 for Anne, each contact had the PB PIN in it - worked fine! The hard bit was getting the PBs back off the children who wanted to play secret agents or something....

This was about 6/7 months ago, so maybe things have changed with a PB OS update?

Hope this helps,

Alex
    08-20-12 04:21 PM
    Same issue here

2 PB, same wi-fi network, calling via PIN, not working

also, is video chatting possible with Bridge? When connected to my Torch 9800 via Bridge, the video chat app says: Network disconnected, check your wifi connection or mobile network

PB
    12-26-12 08:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD