ah found it but cant get it to work - then remembered oovoo mentioned so will look at that again.
    12-03-13 12:53 AM
    there is also ephone
    12-03-13 12:58 AM
    The iPad's and iPod Touch (4th and 5th gen) ring for Facetime when the devices are in standby mode. I use my iPT daily for Facetime. This may be a good solution for you as it would complement your Mac Air.
    I had hoped that this would work as good as the Playbook.......But, the Playbook wins again. The problem is, when you close the lid on the MacBook Air, the laptop falls asleep , thus loosing wifi connection......So the only time that I would know if someone is trying to facetime me, is when I am working on the laptop. Which is kind of counter productive !!!!!!

With the Playbook, I put it in the cradle and leave it there...Playbook rings ( alerts ) and I know that I have a video call calling , then answer !!!!! Seems very productive to me... The Playbook did it right .....

Still looking for solution
    12-07-13 09:44 PM
    I'm not sure I understand.

There are 2 PlayBooks and a Mac. If you replace the 2 PlayBooks with 2 iPads (Mini) problem solved, right? You can Facetime each other when you want and they ring when in standby mode.

The only time the Mac might come into play is if you happen to be on the Mac. You can ring up the other iPad using it, or, vice versa, if you just happen to be on the Mac and the other iPad rings you up, you don't have to walk over to the tablet to answer, you can just answer on the Mac.

Maybe I missed something.
    12-08-13 04:39 AM
    The only time the Mac might come into play is if you happen to be on the Mac. You can ring up the other iPad using it, or, vice versa, if you just happen to be on the Mac and the other iPad rings you up, you don't have to walk over to the tablet to answer, you can just answer on the Mac.

Maybe I missed something.
    I am having a difficult time with this.....So please correct me if I am wrong:

- When I am working on the Mac, by way of audible alerts and a popup message, when someone tries to facetime me, I am able to see this. And answer accordingly. Perfect !!
    - When I am working on the Mac and wish to call my Son, there is no problem. Perfect !!
    - So as long as I have the Mac open, there is no problem ...
    - Now, when I have the Lid closed, there is no way that I can be alerted.

Am I correct ?

I should explain what my goal is....I have a Son who lives 250 miles away and we video chat often. He has a Playbook as I do. His is on a cradle and mine is on a cradle. We use the Playbook like a Telephone....The only requirement is , both playbooks have to on standby mode, which they are, because they are sitting in the cradle. He calls, my playbook alerts me and we are good to go.

I have no appropriate way to keep my MacBookAir in standby mode. It is "on" or "off"

Ron
    Last edited by rphillipchuk; 12-08-13 at 09:51 AM.
    12-08-13 09:40 AM
    I am having a difficult time with this.....So please correct me if I am wrong:

- When I am working on the Mac, by way of audible alerts and a popup message, when someone tries to facetime me, I am able to see this. And answer accordingly. Perfect !!
    - When I am working on the Mac and wish to call my Son, there is no problem. Perfect !!
    - So as long as I have the Mac open, there is no problem ...
    - Now, when I have the Lid closed, there is no way that I can be alerted.

Am I correct ?

Ron
    Yes you are correct. But the parent mentioned two iPads. Do you understand?
    12-08-13 09:49 AM
    Facetime on the iPad works like Facechat on the Playbook, in that it will ring and give you a pop up message when in standby mode.

If you were to own an iPad along with your Mac and they had the same AppleID they would both ring if you had your Mac open. If your Mac was closed and didn't ring, the iPad would ring nonetheless.

The only difference between the iPad and the PlayBook that I've seen in terms of functionality is the PlayBook can be used in audio only capability. I don't know if this is still true under the new iOS7.
    12-08-13 10:21 AM
    You can't set the mac to not sleep when the lid is closed?
    12-08-13 10:27 AM
33 12