I have read several postings here and have spent several hours trying to find a video chat app that works from Playbook to Ipad2 in Canada. I thought I had a solution several times only to find the apps only worked in the USA or didn't work on one or the other unit.

Is anyone in Canada video chatting with an iPad, if so, with what app?

I just bought my Playbook Friday and like it better then the iPad2( except no Skype or Netflix)

Just back from buying two more at Staples for xmas presents.
    11-20-11 03:58 PM
    I have read several postings here and have spent several hours trying to find a video chat app that works from Playbook to Ipad2 in Canada. I thought I had a solution several times only to find the apps only worked in the USA or didn't work on one or the other unit.

Is anyone in Canada video chatting with an iPad, if so, with what app?

I just bought my Playbook Friday and like it better then the iPad2( except no Skype or Netflix)

Just back from buying two more at Staples for xmas presents.
    Check out ReelPortal in app world it might do what you want

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-20-11 05:07 PM
    Check out ReelPortal in app world it might do what you want

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    +1 I've used reelportal successfully to canada.
    11-20-11 05:08 PM
    erandhawa

I thought reelportal looked like the ideal solution but their website said "not in Canada" so I dropped it.

I will try it out tomorrow.

Thanks
    11-20-11 06:08 PM
    I don't think it can be done at this point. Hopefully video chat is not an important feature for you. I considered buying these for Christmas, but they will just think I'm too cheap to buy them a real tablet.
    I'm tired of reading your posts and looking at your face! I really don't understand why you are still allowed to post on this site........Consider yourself IGNORED!!
    11-20-11 06:14 PM
    I still use https://imo.im - offers integration for many video conferencing types. A little clumsy to get the front camera working, but specific device apps avail, including one for BB phones. Quality will vary due to site rather than device hosting, but it works.
    11-20-11 06:31 PM
    I was hoping to use ReelPortal as well but it's not available for download from iTunes for iOS devices in Canada (yet). I have not found another workable substitute so far.

Cross-platform video chat was the number 2 most important feature listed by Playbook users on the beta-zone survey administered by RIM in October.

When questioned on how the results affect their plans for 2.0 John replied:

"the results aligned surprisingly well to what we're working on already for 2.0, so this survey won't drive much change to the 2.0 plan. It will have a great impact on the post-2.0 releases though!"

So without having any details maybe we can expect some movement on this feature in February, either with a new Blackberry app or Skype support.
    11-20-11 06:41 PM
    YOu don't actually download the app you just go to the website. Does that not work in Canada?
    11-20-11 07:09 PM
    ...reelportal's website (reelportal.com) works, period.

I have personal done Montreal/Toronto, Montreal/Long Island, NY, Syracuse/Montreal, and Montreal/Chicago.
    11-20-11 07:26 PM
    I still use https://imo.im - offers integration for many video conferencing types. A little clumsy to get the front camera working, but specific device apps avail, including one for BB phones. Quality will vary due to site rather than device hosting, but it works.
    I have tried to get this working.. from my wife's iPhone to any other device. I cant seem to get video chat to be a working option when signing in with yahoo. is there a different client that my wife and I need to have to use the imo.im? I have seen many posts on here about how well it works but have not been able to get it to work myself.
    11-20-11 07:31 PM
    Haven't tried the website. There is an actual iOS app that's not available here.

I know there are work-arounds to get it working but frankly ReelPortal is not that user friendly and trying to get my non-techy wife to figure it all out on her end is pretty much a non-starter.

For video-chat to be a usable feature for me and my family it's going to take a dedicated app along the lines of Skype or a cross platform version of Facetime or Playbook video chat. Open the app, select the person you want to talk to, connect.

I'm hoping something like this becomes available in February.
    bosoxfan51682 likes this.
    11-20-11 07:32 PM
    even a yahoo messenger app would be awesome. I have it on my torch, why didnt yahoo develope one for the PB? to me it would only have made sense. but then again I am not a developer and have no idea how to program. same with getting my non techy wife to figure out reelportal would be a task. I may have made the mistake of telling her that it was easy to video chat across platform..lol..I just wanted to get the PB and not some stupid iPod touch...I am anti I device..even getting my wife to convince me to let her get a iphone was touchy, in the end it was her money and her choice for smartphone for her business. I love my BB

oh yea I am in the U.S. also.
    11-20-11 07:36 PM
    Buy your wife a BlackBerry PlayBook and use the native Video Chat application. So simple even a caveman/cavewoman can do it.
    11-20-11 07:37 PM
    Buy your wife a BlackBerry PlayBook and use the native Video Chat application. So simple even a caveman/cavewoman can do it.
    that would be fantastic if we had an extra 200 laying around, with 3 kids and a house to maintain friviouls purchases dont happen quite like that. just a cross platform app would suffice..
    Mikey_T likes this.
    11-20-11 07:41 PM
    That would be one solution for sure. Unfortunately she is not a Blackberry phone user and I am unwilling to recommend or purchase another Playbook given the current limitations of the platform. That is another thing I'm hoping changes in February.

My wife is not the only one I'd like to be able to use video chat with anyway; both my parents are iOS users as are several friends. An integrated cross-platform solution is the ideal. I'm keeping my fingers crossed
    11-20-11 07:41 PM
    jtvoxboi

I have tried and can not download from Canada. Did you download the software in the USA and then use it in Canada?
    11-21-11 09:42 PM
    i hadn't been able release the iOS version outside the US due to export law, which i'm pretty much still stuck on. here's a thread that i've been waiting for an answer from:

Adobe Forums: Does Cirrus make use of encryption?

basically, video streams are encrypted by Adobe AIR for P2P connections. i know it's a long shot, but if anyone out there had went thru it, i'd appreciate some pointers.
    11-23-11 04:04 PM
    Just a followup to my previous post, ReelPortal for iOS is now available for certain countries outside the US, including Canada.
    12-22-11 03:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD