I have configured two PlayBooks for video chat. No problem making the connection from one device, but the other fails to connect with the message: The Person is unavailable at this time.

Both devices are active on the same Wifi hotspot and both are set to receive calls.

I have triple checked the BB Pin number and reviewed the PlayBook support at BlackBerry.

Any ideas?

Edit: Successful chat achieved when caller used my BlackBerry ID instead of my PIN number.
    Last edited by Reed McLay; 09-07-12 at 10:20 AM.
    08-07-12 12:44 PM
    Do the two PlayBooks have unique BlackBerryIDs or are they sharing one?

If they have unique IDs, and it is a cellular hotspot, perhaps the hotspot does not support the ports needed to do the video chat. For what it is worth, I can use the hotspot on my Rogers 9900 and the video chat will connect to another PlayBook, which is connected to the Internet via a normal router.
    08-07-12 01:48 PM
    I am connected via. Wifi, and when the call try to connect I get a can not connect to server message. That's calling or receiving a call.
    Reed McLay likes this.
    08-07-12 04:00 PM
    Two separate BB ID's.

I would not expect a the shared Wifi to be a problem, it works correctly when I set up the chat.

Later, they will be on separate networks, it has any bearing, it will sort itself out... if not, I am looking at remote troubleshooting.

Posted my issue with PlayBook support, hopefully somebody has sorted this out before to me look like a genius.
    08-07-12 04:08 PM
    I am connected via. Wifi, and when the call try to connect I get a can not connect to server message. That's calling or receiving a call.
    The way I understand it, both PlayBook require an active Wifi connection for the video chat. If one is using the carrier signal, they would not be available.
    08-07-12 04:10 PM
    Forgive me for starting with the obvious but, did you pull down the VidChat app menu and make sure Accept Calls is set to On?

Next I might try resetting the WiFi router to make sure it is not confusing the two PBs as one.

I've never tried using an IP address in the VidChat address field but, might be worth a try.
    Reed McLay likes this.
    08-07-12 04:26 PM
    I've had issues with video chat as well. I have two, both with different users attached (wife uses other). I checked it after updating to the .668 because I was going out of town and wanted to be able to video chat with her/kids. It worked fine while both were connected at home, but fails to connect the majority of the time when I am at the hotel. I have connected 3 times out of about 15-20, and those 3 dropped the call as soon as one or the other parties started talking. I've been doing some minor troubleshooting that points to the problem being the Playbook itself. It has also been dropping the bluetooth connection ever since .668. I'm not sure if it's just bad luck and a coincedence, but only noticed these issues after .668.
    Reed McLay likes this.
    08-07-12 04:37 PM
    Always good to have fresh eyes checking it out jrohland. Both are set to receive calls and it never hurts to start troubleshooting from a clean boot of the network. I will check that now.

Both are updated to '.668 OS, if that is a contributing factor, I will wait it out for another stab with the next generation of update.
    08-07-12 08:16 PM
    Always good to have fresh eyes checking it out jrohland. Both are set to receive calls and it never hurts to start troubleshooting from a clean boot of the network. I will check that now.

Both are updated to '.668 OS, if that is a contributing factor, I will wait it out for another stab with the next generation of update.
    Reed,
    I am on 668 and have vchatted another pb also on 668 and reception was good. Again are your id's different? From my past experience I have no trouble talking to another pb on the same wifi.
    Good luck in troubleshooting.
    Reed McLay likes this.
    08-07-12 08:42 PM
    Hard reboot, just been posting that everywhere..
    Reed McLay likes this.
    08-08-12 02:04 AM
    One of my PlayBooks had trouble getting a connection to server in video chat, and the fix was to remove the wifi profiles and set up wifi again. May be worth a try.
    Reed McLay likes this.
    08-08-12 08:46 AM
    Hard reboot, just been posting that everywhere..
    The equivalent of the tried and tested "Pull the battery" advise.

I have to admit, that never occurred to me. The PlayBook is running on QNX, a mil-spec kernel that is highly reliable. Apps, on the other hand, not mil-spec.

I will try both restarting both and replacing the Wifi profiles.

Thanks to all for the good suggestions.

edit: Still no-go after restart and rebuild Wifi profile.
    Last edited by Reed McLay; 08-08-12 at 03:39 PM.
    08-08-12 02:15 PM
    So sorry but you'll need to do a security wipe. Best of luck with that..
    Reed McLay likes this.
    08-09-12 01:25 AM
    So sorry but you'll need to do a security wipe. Best of luck with that..
    Doing a Security Wipe restores the PlayBook to its factory out of the box settings, removing all data, apps and media from the PlayBook itself. ...
    There will be times when that may useful, but I doubt it will be of any use with an app connection issue.

08-09-12 11:28 AM
    We achieved a successful connection by using BlackBerry ID instead of PIN number.

Turns out, that is covered in the Video Chat Help page.
    09-07-12 10:23 AM
    Glad you got that sorted out! (I had the same problem too) RIM is transitioning to BBID and doesn't use PIN on newer software
    Reed McLay likes this.
    09-07-12 11:15 AM
    on .668 and have not seen this problem. maybe firewall ports o. your router is a place to start..
    Reed McLay likes this.
    09-07-12 11:47 AM
    I ruled out a Firewall issue because I was able to make the Chat connection in one direction using the PIN number. After the device was moved to a distant network, it continued to exhibit the same issue.

I am not too concerned about the PIN connection failure, as long as the BlackBerry ID connection is working correctly. Still, curious why it failed to connect from the newer device, that does give credence to Dentynefire comment.
    09-07-12 03:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD