Hello,

I recently bought 2 PB's (16Gb) for me and my girlfriend and found out that the video chat always drops the call after exactly 5 minutes. Image freezes and audio stops . Then I need to click the red hangup button and call again.
    It happens for video as well as audio only calls. We're on OS 1.0.8.6067.
    Any idea's what could be the problem/solution?

greets Vince

additional info:
    built ID 91128
    Flash 11.1.122.4
    AIR 3.1.0.20
    kernel 5.6.0.41645
    01-07-12 03:03 AM
    I think sometimes WiFi connections may have some periodic activity relating to security which could be causing problems.

Have you tried doing this from different locations? Try using both PBs from other locations (even if it's just one at a time) to see if that changes anything.
    01-07-12 08:02 AM
    It seems it happens also on other wifi networks
    I have tried different networks over the lastf few days but no difference.
    Last edited by vincetherookie; 01-07-12 at 02:15 PM.
    01-07-12 02:12 PM
    Maybe one of you is with a service provider who "shapes" the traffic, and basically kills the call after it sees enough bandwidth used.

What happens if you try a voice-only call instead?

Have you tried using something like Skype video on your PC instead, and observed how it handles the five minute mark? Maybe at least a degradation in quality if not a drop of the call...

Note that RIM's system should be involved only in establishing the connection. Once the two tablets are connected in the call, I believe all the audio/video traffic is basically direct between the PlayBooks. For what it's worth in helping troubleshoot...
    01-07-12 02:46 PM
    Sounds suspiciously like the same timer as the screen backlight time-out.
    Would I be correct in thinking that you don't touch the PB during the call?
    jafobabe likes this.
    01-07-12 02:49 PM
    After you have tried the above, do this:

Options --> Screen --> Standby Time-out

Change that from 5 minutes to 2 minutes... does the call now end at 2 minutes or still 5?
    jafobabe likes this.
    01-07-12 03:40 PM
    Thanks for your tips
    Today I did a video chat over a different wifi network. Same behaviour.
    My girlfriend dit not yet try a different wifi network (hopefully we can try this within the next days).
    Skype with video is not giving any problems on both our networks.
    I also tried changing the standby time settings but no difference.

But none of you has experienced the same issues?
    I use video chat a lot so I hope it can be solved.
    01-08-12 06:29 AM
    Odd... i have video chatted for half an hour before. No interruptions. Like some others here, i thi k an other culprit is at work.
    01-08-12 06:34 AM
    Sounds suspiciously like the same timer as the screen backlight time-out.
    Would I be correct in thinking that you don't touch the PB during the call?
    And this is also pretty close to the time before people lose connection to Pandora. Coincidence?
    01-08-12 06:38 AM
    Is it always the same person that you are chatting with when this happens, or does it happen to anyone/everyone you chat with?
    Also... it's not the Standby timer I was talking about. It's the Backlight Time-out I'm referring to!
    01-08-12 12:45 PM
    Hi, the backlight timeout was set to 1 min all the time.
    Sofar I only chatted with my old lady as none of my friends bought the PB yet (however some are thinking about it; �199 is a bargain ).

Today I also mailed this question to Blackberry support (I figured out there is a free 90 days support). If I receive any news from their side I'll let you know.

But it's still very strange that I seem to be the only one having these issues
    01-08-12 01:30 PM
    But it's still very strange that I seem to be the only one having these issues
    That's why it seems likely it's something unique to your situation.

I've had hour-long chats with no troubles, so it's definitely not inherent in the technology.
    01-08-12 05:33 PM
    Well, it took some time but the case is cracked
    It is indeed caused by the (wifi) network of my girlfriend. Yesterday she tried it from a different wifi network and we had no dropped calls every 5 minutes. Sorry that it took so long but we could not get her PB on a different network any earlier.
    So I'm happy that we know the PB's are fine but now I need to find out why her router drops the calls after 5 min

So for now I want to thank all of you for your contributions.

By the way, official Blackberry support has still not answered my question. Also not after I send a reminder. However they did send me a few mails with the request to rate their support on this topic. But unfortunately it does not have the option "I haven't received any reaction"

greets Vince
    01-27-12 03:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD