Howdy...!

Just wondering if anyone out there can confirm if video chat works @china... I tried connecting w/mu buddy here in China but keep getting "failed call"...

Running on 1.0.7...

Thnxs!!!
    11-07-11 11:04 AM
    Anyone out there ?!?
    11-08-11 08:12 AM
    Tried several times from France to USA, Canada and Belgium and it worked fine.
    China's got *severe* restrictions regarding to what is/isn't allowed over the Internet. I won't be surprised they block video conferencing (H323 ?).
    11-08-11 08:43 AM
    China's got *severe* restrictions regarding to what is/isn't allowed over the Internet. I won't be surprised they block video conferencing (H323 ?).
    Unless you are trying to show them video of some secret corporate plans!
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    11-08-11 09:50 AM
    Videochatted with bro in law in Hong Kong from the us. Little choppy no prob though. Used reelportal not the pb videochat app. bro in law not have pb.
    11-08-11 11:12 AM
    Howdy...!

Just wondering if anyone out there can confirm if video chat works @china... I tried connecting w/mu buddy here in China but keep getting "failed call"...

Running on 1.0.7...

Thnxs!!!
    Are you trying to chat using bridge. If so i'm not sure you can.
    11-08-11 05:02 PM
    Are you trying to chat using bridge. If so i'm not sure you can.
    Not using bridge just straight up Wi-Fi...

Thnxs anyways...!
    11-08-11 06:00 PM
    I wouldn't be surprised either if it was restricted... However all da censoring here is concentrated on "broadcasting" sensitive information which is not what "video chat" is... Considering that "video chat" is just between PB users it is simply another form of "messenger"...

Merci!!! Alle L'OM...
    11-08-11 06:05 PM
    Merci!!! Alle L'OM...
    Pariiiiis est magique !
    11-08-11 06:54 PM
    In Beijing but haven't used the video chat yet. This weekend will get with some buddies who use PlayBooks as well and will try it.

For the issue should be blamed the GCF (Great China Firewall), which is quite sophisticated as I know, but in genera slowing down a lot the traffic. No idea how the video chat works - peer-to-peer, or goes through RIM servers, but connecting to servers in Canada, my experience, you don't get the best speeds for sure. Could be the GFC "processing" the protocol/traffic generated by video chat requires bit more time, which brings down the speed to a degree where the call can't be established.

On a side note about Hong Kong - the city not behind The Wall - shouldn't experience mainland specific issues
    guilleman likes this.
    11-08-11 07:08 PM
    I'v tried it with some of my friends,and it worked fine.No prob at all.BTW,i'm in Nanjing.
    guilleman likes this.
    11-08-11 07:49 PM
    I'v tried it with some of my friends,and it worked fine.No prob at all.BTW,i'm in Nanjing.
    Great to hear that!

I'm in touch with a RIM tech @guangzhou so hopefully my issues are just due to some "mis" configuration of my connection...

Thnxs for confirming!
    11-09-11 12:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD