Are there an good Free video chat apps that are cross-platform?

I need one that will work on PB, Android & iOS.

Thanks.
    10-06-12 01:49 PM
    Cross-platform - not yet.

There are a couple of web options:

http://www.imo.im

http://aol.com/av
    rexrim and adougl26 like this.
    10-06-12 02:39 PM
    None? That's surprising?

How about paid ones?

How about PB-Android only?
    Or PB-iOS only?
    ...or even Android-iOS only? (Probably the wrong place to ask that one though)
    10-06-12 02:48 PM
    Check out Reelportal. It had been free.
    10-06-12 03:47 PM
    Go here Tango Support for BlackBerry PlayBook : Tango Support Center and let them know that we need Tango!
    10-06-12 04:31 PM
    Check out Reelportal. It had been free.

That appears to be for PB (and PC) only. Not for other tablets. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    adougl26 likes this.
    10-06-12 04:51 PM
    Works on any tablet or device with Flash (so, Android too).
    10-06-12 10:00 PM
    Works on any tablet or device with Flash (so, Android too).
    Android no longer supports flash.

So the only tablet it would work on is the PB (and Old Android tablets, unless you update them).
    10-06-12 10:03 PM
    I am pretty sure there was a reelportal app for iphone...but when i tried it it had a bug that would not let it switch it to front facing camera...
    10-06-12 10:10 PM
    My wife has reel portal on her iPad. We use that to video chat when I'm traveling. Now that I have a Nexus 7 I'll switch from using Skype and reelportal
    10-08-12 08:17 AM
    Fantastic thread, I will try some of this stuff tonight
    10-08-12 08:55 AM
    Hi everybody,

I am the founder of Free Video Chat - Quick & Simple | FaceFlow - a web-based video chat application that requires flash.
    We are working on apps for iOS, Android, and Blackberry 10. We'd like to be the first service to provide you guys a truly cross-platform video chat experience
    Until then, our Playbook users just need to make sure they have Flash installed in order to use our Web video chat application. http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer

Thank you !
    Dany
    11-12-12 11:26 PM
    Hi everybody,

I am the founder of Free Video Chat - Quick & Simple | FaceFlow - a web-based video chat application that requires flash.
    We are working on apps for iOS, Android, and Blackberry 10. We'd like to be the first service to provide you guys a truly cross-platform video chat experience
    Until then, our Playbook users just need to make sure they have Flash installed in order to use our Web video chat application. Adobe - Install Adobe Flash Player

Thank you !
    Dany
    Welcome and thanks for the info
    11-13-12 12:46 AM
    FaceFlow looks promising. Hopefully the mobile apps come out soon, since iOS doesn't support Flash, and most people with JB Android devices aren't savvy about loading Flash and using a different web browser.

I've tried a couple of chats on FaceFlow on my PlayBook and it works well.
    11-13-12 07:40 AM
    Hi Dany, this is good news and I'm happy you are here. i emailed you yesterday asking you if you intend to build app for BB Playbook. I'm glad that you replied my two emails, that shows how serious you guys are, keep it up.
    i tried to use Faceflow on my PlayBook using the bridge, the error message says" can not connect to server, disable firewall" please, i want to know if Faceflow does not work with bridge because i didn't get this error message on wifi.

Uzo

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    11-13-12 07:59 AM
    Even though we didn't think of tablets when designing our web app, I am glad you guys like our web app for the Playbook - at least until we provide an app for the Playbook running BB10, it should do the job quite well.

As for the site not working with Bridge, from the error you are getting, it must be because of port issues:
    Real Time Messaging Protocol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    "RTMPT which is encapsulated within HTTP requests to traverse firewalls. RTMPT is frequently found utilizing cleartext requests on TCP ports 80 and 443 to bypass most corporate traffic filtering". Basically the ports 443 and 80 should be allowed, and 1935 ideally.

We are using different methods in order to try to traverse firewalls, and RTMPT is our last method. But seems like it can't handle Bridge.

The solution I see would be to allow the above ports in the Firewall that Bridge uses.

Do a lot of Playbook users use Bridge?

Thanks
    11-13-12 04:39 PM
    Dany:

I don't know the tech stuff but lots of folks do use Bridge - it is a form of tethering - it is a bt connection between the pb and bb phones. It then uses the phone's 3g (other) data for internet connections. But, I believe, it tends to travel through Rim's servers. And that's where my "knowledge" ends.
    11-13-12 05:11 PM
    This is great news. All I had to do was sign up and viola video chat on my PB. No sideloading required here.
    11-13-12 06:42 PM
    Even though we didn't think of tablets when designing our web app, I am glad you guys like our web app for the Playbook - at least until we provide an app for the Playbook running BB10, it should do the job quite well.

Quite well? Friend, your website app just works. No slowdowns. No issues. Plain. Simply. Works. I am truly pleased! You saying that a BB10 app is in the making is just icing on the cake!

As for the site not working with Bridge, from the error you are getting, it must be because of port issues:
    Real Time Messaging Protocol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    "RTMPT which is encapsulated within HTTP requests to traverse firewalls. RTMPT is frequently found utilizing cleartext requests on TCP ports 80 and 443 to bypass most corporate traffic filtering". Basically the ports 443 and 80 should be allowed, and 1935 ideally.

We are using different methods in order to try to traverse firewalls, and RTMPT is our last method. But seems like it can't handle Bridge.

The solution I see would be to allow the above ports in the Firewall that Bridge uses.

A good number. It is part of the appeal of the PlayBook and BlackBerry: to be connected, anytime, anywhere. Bridge, like F2 said, hooks the tablet to the smartphones data connection. That does mean that all data is routed through RIM's NOC. While you'd have APIs to handle that when you build an app, I am not sure how to allow access over the Web (I don't think RIM will simply open the ports and we can't do anything on our end).

Thanks
    Always good to have Devs around here! Welcome to the PlayBook's forums!
    11-13-12 08:56 PM
    Hi Dany,

Yes, a lot PlayBook users use bridge. the wifi version of the playbook is the version more than 80% of playbook users have for now. with bridge this percentage of playbook users pull stuffs out from the internet while on the move, the internet traffic is routed through RIM NOC. I wish there is a way out on getting this cross platform video app to work on playbook via bridge.

Uzo

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    11-13-12 11:03 PM
    Great. Thanks a lot guys. We'll be working on our app to be specifically made for Playbook and BB10 devices - hoping to have an app released when BB10 launches, ~ early Feb.
    diegonei likes this.
    11-14-12 12:48 AM
    I also use bridge a lot, and when I tried this using bridge I got the same error...
    11-14-12 05:56 AM
    cannot use playbook cam on FaceFlow
    11-14-12 03:42 PM
    cannot use playbook cam on FaceFlow
    Do you have Flash enabled? You need it I think. Mine worked fine yesterday as it does right now.
    11-14-12 05:11 PM
    I wonder how well a video chat app would work over bridge, since it is a Bluetooth connection. Maybe there could be a way to use Wi-Fi between a BB and PlayBook, but that might take a little more effort.
    11-14-12 09:20 PM