I recently purchased a Playbook and have noticed that the battery drains about 15% overnight in standby.

From what I have read here and on the BlackBerry forums, a cause of this can be if the video chat agreement has not been accepted.

I've never used this so it won't have been accepted.

Is this still a problem with the latest versions of the OS? (I don't mean OS2)
    02-10-12 04:41 AM
    I recently purchased a Playbook and have noticed that the battery drains about 15% overnight in standby.

From what I have read here and on the BlackBerry forums, a cause of this can be if the video chat agreement has not been accepted.

I've never used this so it won't have been accepted.

Is this still a problem with the latest versions of the OS? (I don't mean OS2)
    Might as well accept it and see if it improves your battery life. It was a drainer in the past and accepting was the fix.
    02-10-12 05:02 AM
    Some apps can leave the GPS in an active state when they close. The video chat problem was fixed a few OS versions ago.
    peter9477 and terry.h like this.
    02-10-12 07:03 AM
    The battery charge percentage indicator requires calibration during the first month of use. Simply allow the tablet to fully drain until it automatically powers itself off. Connect the wall charger which shipped with the tablet to the device and plug it into a wall outlet and allow the tablet to fully recharge to 100% and the charge LED status changes to completed. Rinse and repeat for at least 5 cycles during the next four weeks. I highly recommend purchasing Battery Guru from BlackBerry AppWorld to collect data about the charge and discharge cycles; the developer is willing to interpret the results if necessary.
    peter9477 likes this.
    02-10-12 07:13 AM
    One thing you can do is put it into airplane mode at night - shuts off the bluetooth and wifi, and will stop some drain.

Just looked, mine dropped 10-12% last night, with wifi and bluetooth on. Battery life is greatly improved with these off
    peter9477 likes this.
    02-10-12 07:21 AM
    As the gents said, on some units it seems leaving wifi on will drain too much power. We're basically waiting for 2.0 final before starting to draw conclusions, since it may be the OS or may simply be the local environment (other wifi networks, etc). Airplane mode or turning BT and WiFi off will probably help, unless it's the GPS issue mentioned in which case do a restart before bed.

Also don't leave any games running in standby. Some of the native ones are power hogs even in standby....
    02-10-12 07:45 AM
    I lost 5% over night. Wifi and bt on.
    CDM76 likes this.
    02-10-12 07:50 AM
    Well I've rebooted now and I've lost 2% in 5 hours so it looks like it may have been the GPS stuck as mentioned above. Seems OK now, panic over!
    peter9477 likes this.
    02-10-12 08:14 AM
    interesting, I bought battery guru and noticed that when I would swipe to wakeup the watts used was around 0.3 all the time. Seemed normal to me, I did a restart and now when I wake it up, battery guru shows 0.05 watts being used. Waaaaay better.

I was trying some GPS apps like Poynt or Foursquare, maybe they were keeping the GPS active.

Thanks for the tips.

I have to say, battery guru is one app I'm always using....well worth it for me.
    peter9477 and DAnklaud like this.
    02-10-12 08:53 AM
    Thanks for the nod, wet_coast. I can almost guarantee what you saw was the known GPS glitch then.

This is (according to RIM folks) fixed in 2.0, along with about 87,000 other bugs ;-) which means that if anyone has a similar problem after 2.0 release, it's either a new problem, or pointing us to a similar but unfixed issue with WiFi or Bluetooth.

(To tell the truth, I don't think anyone has implicated Bluetooth yet in any excessive battery drain, but maybe I've overlooked it. Only heard mention of WiFi problems so far.)
    02-10-12 11:39 AM
    My PB never loses any power over night...that's when I have it plugged in to rev it up for the next day of use.

This is my way of recommending - just plug it in. Problem solved
    yauchunh likes this.
    02-10-12 11:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD