So I'm just about ready to pick up a 64GB Playbook after going back and forth since it's release. I love the hardware and it looks like the OS and apps are getting better and better; plus the price is right at the moment!

One thing I haven't been able to figure out is whether I can use the Playbook to video-chat with an iPhone 4. My wife uses the iPhone and I work away from home. I realize the apple 'Facetime' is iOS only but is there any cross-platform video chat app that will connect both devices?

The 'Facetime' feature is the only thing keeping an iPad in the running over a Playbook for me; if I can get compatible functionality from the PB I'm in.
    10-02-11 05:20 PM
    No. Sorry. No.

Facetime was supposed to be open-source, but it isn't.
    Willard814 and Snuupy like this.
    10-02-11 05:22 PM
    Huh. Well that's a pretty big dissapointment. Might be visiting the apple store this week rather than the Best Buy
    10-02-11 05:25 PM
    Can the PlayBook use Tango? I've used Tango video chat on my Android to an iPhone and it worked well.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 10-02-11 at 05:29 PM.
    10-02-11 05:27 PM
    Is OovoO (sp?) available for the Playbook?

It's a cross-platform video chat that works on iPad/iPhone.
    10-02-11 05:28 PM
    There are lots of cross platform web based video conferencing apps that work on the Playbook, do a search on them to see if the iPhone can support them, sorry I don't have the links handy, but they are there.
    10-02-11 05:42 PM
    No. Sorry. No.

Facetime was supposed to be open-source, but it isn't.
    Are you sure that's the case? When Facetime launched it was announced that it is open source so the potential is there for other developers and devices. I haven't heard otherwise so I've been assuming that other manufacturers are just being stubborn and not wanting to enable cross platform support for video chat with Apple devices.... At the expense of end user satisfaction no less... A shame if you ask me, as it works pretty swell...
    10-02-11 06:42 PM
    Heard that this one works but never tried it - don't know anyone with an iPhone or iPad that I want to talk to

AV by AOL - Let's video chat!
    Willard814 likes this.
    10-02-11 06:46 PM
    there is also an app called reelportal

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-02-11 07:06 PM
    ReelPortal app on playbook works well and it is cross platform, have not tried with iphone but worked well between android and playbook. Also u can use your browser and use imo.im, it has Skype.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Artwerks likes this.
    10-02-11 07:06 PM
    Huh ok thanks guys, sounds like maybe this isn't going to be impossible.
    10-02-11 07:10 PM
    there is a solution, if you have one of several video chat programs such as skype- go to https://imo.im and you will see their cross connect bar. At the very bottom right are the shortcuts to their iphone/ipad and android versions. I have used this cross platform and it is not as clear as facetime or PB but it does work. It does take a bit of time to get familiar with it, and it naturally uses voice only, then u click to turn on video cam. Next u may find that the video is the rear camera so then u must switch cams.

But it does work and it is free
    Willard814 likes this.
    10-02-11 09:18 PM
    Is there a way to conference call (3 way calling) from the playbook? if it allows video then great but even just voice would be awesome.
    12-28-11 01:17 AM
    This works fine for upto 4 people.

AV by AOL - Let's video chat!
    01-07-12 03:38 AM
    doesn't it use flash? It won't work on iphone then i guess...
    01-07-12 04:04 AM
    doesn't it use flash? It won't work on iphone then i guess...
    You are correct. I tried using it with my sister and her little mac notebook (don't know model but it is a neat little machine) and should could not run it since Flash needed to be installed and it would not work.
    01-07-12 10:24 AM
    I would recommend using Nimbuzz video chatting. I use it is free and very good in BB. There is a Nimbuzz app for iphone too.
    03-15-12 10:29 AM
    I would recommend using Nimbuzz video chatting. I use it is free and very good in BB. There is a Nimbuzz app for iphone too.
    I don't see anything on the Nimbuzz site about video calling or Playbook support.
    03-15-12 10:39 AM
    Is OovoO (sp?) available for the Playbook?

It's a cross-platform video chat that works on iPad/iPhone.

Sadly it isnt right now =[

I hope they make a oovoo app
    03-15-12 10:44 AM
    doesn't reel portal have an IOS app that works?
    03-15-12 10:56 AM
    So I'm just about ready to pick up a 64GB Playbook after going back and forth since it's release. I love the hardware and it looks like the OS and apps are getting better and better; plus the price is right at the moment!

One thing I haven't been able to figure out is whether I can use the Playbook to video-chat with an iPhone 4. My wife uses the iPhone and I work away from home. I realize the apple 'Facetime' is iOS only but is there any cross-platform video chat app that will connect both devices?

The 'Facetime' feature is the only thing keeping an iPad in the running over a Playbook for me; if I can get compatible functionality from the PB I'm in.
    Find out if the iphone owner has a yahoo account. www.imo.im Has a working video chat for yahoo users.
    03-15-12 11:23 AM
    Get two playbooks. The video chat is awesome, best I've used. It's real time, not jittery like every other one I've used. Also, it will be cheaper than buying one ipad. Just a possible option.
    malcerie likes this.
    03-15-12 11:39 AM
    Find out if the iphone owner has a yahoo account. www.imo.im Has a working video chat for yahoo users.
    Get two playbooks. The video chat is awesome, best I've used. It's real time, not jittery like every other one I've used. Also, it will be cheaper than buying one ipad. Just a possible option.
    I'm sure OP has found a solution by now. Ops post is from 10/2011 LOL.
    03-15-12 11:43 AM
    What if you want to video chat with all your friends and family?
    03-15-12 11:48 AM
    I'm sure OP has found a solution by now. Ops post is from 10/2011 LOL.
    Takes me a while to get warmed up.
    03-16-12 02:19 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD