OK, First off, I love my Playbook! BUT...... I bought it for three reasons. The first is that it is just plain cool. The second was the price, $199! Thirdly, was to show powerpoint and videos....so here lies my dilemma. I'm a youth pastor and I was hoping I could use the PB to handle the video needs of the group. We have a VGA projector. I was told that is no problem for the PB. I just needed a Micro HDMI to VGA adapter. No problem...Samsung makes one, Asus makes one and Accell makes one...the Problem is, that I can't find one anywhere!! Every company that I've found that supposedly has them, really has them on back order. I'm so frustrated. I really want to be a PB groupie, but I'm finding it hard to do. Does anyone know where I can get one of the elusive adapters? I'm in the US and I need it like yesterday. This has been a two month long search already. HELP!!
    02-14-12 03:12 AM
    Best bet is to check ebay. I believe they have it, but it's expensive. I tried to look around for you, but as you said they are all temporary unavailable.

What you could try is to play around with different combinations of adapters.

For example use a normal micro hdmi to hdmi cable, and then plug that into a hdmi to vga adapter, then use a vga cable on that.

Not sure it will work though
    BgDog999 likes this.
    02-14-12 04:12 AM
    I bought this from Amazon.

Amazon.com: HP Envy 133 HDMI to VGA Adapter: Electronics

You also need a female:female HDMI connector to attach it to HDMI output from your playbook(any Bestbuy has them).

this worked for me.
    BgDog999 likes this.
    02-14-12 04:39 AM
    I got mine from Amazon as well. It was pretty cheap. Got Micro HDMI to VGA, Micro HDMI to HDMI, both under $10
    BgDog999 likes this.
    02-14-12 07:37 AM
    Monoprice.com should have them as well, if I am not mistaken.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.
    gharshenin and BgDog999 like this.
    02-14-12 07:45 AM
    Thirdly, was to show powerpoint and videos....so here lies my dilemma. I'm a youth pastor and I was hoping I could use the PB to handle the video needs of the group. We have a VGA projector. I was told that is no problem for the PB. I just needed a Micro HDMI to VGA adapter.
    I understand the frustration of not being able to obtain the one component, an HDMI-to-VGA adapter, that holding up full benefit of this fine tablet. An alternate route to achieve the same outcome, that is showing slideshow presentations at church, is possible using the MicroVision SHOWWX+ HDMI Laser Pocket Projector. I have been using the MicroVision SHOWWX+ HDMI Laser Pocket Projector for a few months for presentations and it works very well.
    BgDog999 likes this.
    02-14-12 08:49 AM
    I see the op's point. There is a huge installed inventory around the world of video projectors with vga input and no hdmi input. It would be in RIM's interest to front-load this problem by just ordering a load of these and offering them for sale... better yet, bundle them in a "bonus pack" for a new PB promotion after os2 is released.

Here's a link to a Chinese manufacturing company that sells them in bulk.

Micro Hdmi To Vga Cable-Micro Hdmi To Vga Cable Manufacturers, Suppliers and Exporters on Alibaba.com

But interestingly, my daughter had the opposite situation last summer. She was in a classroom at a Canadian university and had to give a powerpoint presentation. The video projector had an hdmi input and her presentation went very well. Everyone was impressed with how smooth the PlayBook worked and how good the screen looked with hd. But none of the other girls who had ipads had brought a cable, so none of them could display their ppt files. I'm certain most (if not all) video projectors have vga input, but if you don't have the cable with you, you're kinda stuck.
    BgDog999 likes this.
    02-14-12 11:00 AM
    The Samsung adapter is available at NCIX.com Samsung 190MM Micro HDMI to VGA Adapter for Series 9 Samsung Notebooks AA-AH0NAMB/US - Samsung Consumer Electronics - AA-AH0NAMB/US for $24.

This device looks the least likely to damage that "way too fragile" looking micro hdmi port. I also recommend the Startech retractable Micro hdmi to full Hdmi cable which is extremely flexible. It makes excellent contact in the PlayBook's micro hdmi port. 2 (much less expensive) NGear cables I tried made very intermittent contact and were unuseable on the playbook. Startech 4FT Retractable High Speed HDMI Cable -HDMI to HDMI Micro - M/M - Startech.com - HDADRET4
    BgDog999 likes this.
    02-14-12 02:37 PM
    May I just say that you guys are awesome!!!!! Thank you for all your help. Samsung Micro HDMI to VGA is ordered and hopefully on its way I ordered one at Amazon from AntOnline 2 weeks ago. No confirmation of it being sent, then on the day of delivery they sent an email saying sorry, we are back-ordered. Asked me if I wanted to keep my order or cancel. You guys found me one basically, so I canceled my order with AntOnline. 9 minutes later I get an email from them saying that their truck came with a shipment of the adapters. I filed with Amazon who keeps copies of all emails and responses. Long story short, one is on its way from someone reputable. And thank you all again!!
    02-14-12 06:42 PM
    I just ordered the HP unit tonight. I have a presentation for school next week and would love to run it off my PB. On a side note our new Virtual Design & Construction Lab has three HD TVs all with HDMI input. I was able to hook up my PB the other day at lunch and watch There Will Be Blood at lunch from my PB, way cool. I wish RIM had been a little more proactive and marketed an all in one VGA-to-micro HDMI or better yet given the PB compatibility with their Presenter device. I have seen it online and am intrigued but no PB support.
    02-14-12 08:01 PM
    ... I'm a youth pastor and I was hoping I could use the PB to handle the video needs of the group ...
    I am also youth pastor and I had not even thought about this, we also have a VGA projector. Thanks for the idea!
    02-14-12 08:22 PM
    Just received my elusive Samsung MICRO HDMI to VGA adapter. It was a long search, but after a month and a half I finally have it!! I was afraid to try it out at first because of so many failed attempts, but I gave in and tried it and IT WORKS!!! Perfectly!! It is just a 6" dongle. Somehow it doesn't need USB power, or power of any sort to make the signal change. Picture is sharp as can be. I am very happy!! That little dongle is a game changer for me. If you need to do presentations, and don't know what projector you'll be using, or if you have an old VGA like me and my youth group, then pick one up....if you can find one
    02-19-12 02:01 AM
    That's awesome. We've been around for almost a year now. We started with 8 and are now over 20. Very exciting! So now we are moving to self containment So I bought a Playbook and projector and a screen. Now, with the Samsung MICRO HDMI to VGA I can connect and run the video needs of the group through the Playbook, without the need of the tired old Church computer
    02-19-12 02:07 AM
    Just received my elusive Samsung MICRO HDMI to VGA adapter. It was a long search, but after a month and a half I finally have it!! I was afraid to try it out at first because of so many failed attempts, but I gave in and tried it and IT WORKS!!! Perfectly!! It is just a 6" dongle. Somehow it doesn't need USB power, or power of any sort to make the signal change. Picture is sharp as can be. I am very happy!! That little dongle is a game changer for me. If you need to do presentations, and don't know what projector you'll be using, or if you have an old VGA like me and my youth group, then pick one up....if you can find one
    Just received the same cable. Tried on my HDTV via port and saw nothing.
    Then tried on my computer monitor and it did work but...
    When going into presenter mode on a ppt presentation, every second page would just be a green garbled screen on the monitor while fine on the playbook.
    If I left presenter mode and looked at same pages/slides on the monitor they were fine.

Could you please try it in presentation mode with a .ppt document.
    Basically connect PB to monitor and launch powerpoint document. Once launched, top right corner is a toggle for presenter mode. when turned on, it allows you to show the full screen on the slide while on the left you get to see smaller slides and the notes. I this mode every second full screen image on the monitor is green.
    Please let me know wanna know if this a cable problem/defect or limitation.
    02-24-12 01:39 PM
    Let me know how you make out. I have seen some for 100 dollars and some for under 40 and I'm not sure what is what.
    02-24-12 02:37 PM
    05-16-12 08:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD