I have to confess that I have been very disappointed in the organisation and general quality of the negative posting so far. First, the major error of piling in before most people had even got around to downloading OS 2.0, making it pretty obvious the posters hadn't really spent any time checking out the software; then the poorly thought out routine of simply repeating moans about 'missing' applications that were never supposed to be part of the update anyway (I mean honestly; *Netflix*. Jeepers!) and then a final bout of complaints about 'The Android Player' not being present (come on chaps, there are people here who actually *know* about this stuff!).

I don't who's actually in charge of the black ops side of things, but they really need to raise their game somewhat if they're going to put any significant dent in the overall positive reaction to the updated OS.

I'm quite enjoying the 'OS 2.0 broke my PlayBook/ruined my life/lost me my job' approach that seems to be developing though:-)

OK, back to playing 'Modern Combat 2'!
    02-23-12 12:26 PM
    I think they had a better training for OS 1. Not as organised, but quite a few have appeared.
    Willard814 likes this.
    02-23-12 12:31 PM
    Negativity has always been around in these forums, specially in the Playbook sub forum.

The trolls (paid/unpaid) have had their glorious moments here derailing posts and throwing negativity as much as possible, albeit those were short lived.

Before the launch of OS2.0 there were always folks coming and trashing the PB, and now with the OS2.0 there is a mixed bag of people, and identifying the ones who are here only to trash the PB is kinda difficult.

Most members here at CB, are trying to help out- but the flood of complainers and less-researched consumers are causing a havoc.

The negative posts will continue, but as the dust is settling on the launch of OS2.0 slowly the people who really had genuine problems are reducing as they are starting to understand what the OS2.0 brings and things that it didn't (that was never promised either).

Its all going to be ok in the end
    Willard814 and jamesbondOO7 like this.
    02-23-12 12:34 PM
    The day before the release, loads of perfectly acceptable threads got locked and deleted, one of mine included where I was politely stating that a LOT of users would be let down by the upgrade.

Now look at the state of the forum, it's a total mess, it might as well be renamed to BlackBerry Rants and Whinnage...

What are the mods doing, they were PMSing the other day and are now totally absent...
    02-23-12 12:40 PM
    I'm guilty of this to an extent. I had a temper tantrum after the update because I simply hate fighting to get new settings to work, and to be honest, I was kind of hoping for certain apps to come. I would never have any use for those apps, but I wanted them there just to shut people up about them already. Now that I've calmed down I've had time to realize many of the problems I had would have happened (and have happened!) on any other device I owned.
    Toodeurep likes this.
    02-23-12 12:42 PM
    My Apple has worms...
    CDM76 and Willard814 like this.
    02-23-12 12:44 PM
    In today's world of instant gratification, the complainers, whiners and others who can't get the PB to do exactly what they want, exactly when they want it, are inevitable. The paid trolls are fairly easy to spot, as they basically keep hammering on a few basic points. Most of the rest are people who don't want to take the time to learn how to properly operate the PB, or just aren't smart enough to figure things out on their own.
    rs422a and peter9477 like this.
    02-23-12 12:56 PM
    I'm guilty of this to an extent. I had a temper tantrum after the update because I simply hate fighting to get new settings to work, and to be honest, I was kind of hoping for certain apps to come. I would never have any use for those apps, but I wanted them there just to shut people up about them already. Now that I've calmed down I've had time to realize many of the problems I had would have happened (and have happened!) on any other device I owned.
    I was worried about you yesterday

I for one did find your avatar mildly amusing.
    02-23-12 12:57 PM
    You can focus on what’s wrong with the Playbook, or or you can focus on what’s RIGHT with the Playbook ...I choose to focus on what's RIGHT with the Playbook - and there are a lot things RIGHT with it!!
    02-23-12 12:59 PM
    Trolls don't have the highest functioning brains...
    Willard814 likes this.
    02-23-12 01:04 PM
    I've had the misfortune of reading thru most of those bs threads and some of them are just over the top. You have a small percentage of people who are having real issues with the upgrade or things not working. Then you have another portion of the population that are just nit picking for the sake of nit picking. And then the final portion of the population who made huge assumptions about what the update would give them with out actually doing any research. Makes me cry inside.
    02-23-12 01:06 PM
    I have to confess that I have been very disappointed in the organisation and general quality of the negative posting so far. First, the major error of piling in before most people had even got around to downloading OS 2.0, making it pretty obvious the posters hadn't really spent any time checking out the software; then the poorly thought out routine of simply repeating moans about 'missing' applications that were never supposed to be part of the update anyway (I mean honestly; *Netflix*. Jeepers!) and then a final bout of complaints about 'The Android Player' not being present (come on chaps, there are people here who actually *know* about this stuff!).

I don't who's actually in charge of the black ops side of things, but they really need to raise their game somewhat if they're going to put any significant dent in the overall positive reaction to the updated OS.

I'm quite enjoying the 'OS 2.0 broke my PlayBook/ruined my life/lost me my job' approach that seems to be developing though:-)

OK, back to playing 'Modern Combat 2'!
    I agree with you. The whining and complaining had me shaking my head. I logged in to find out info to help me understand how to navigate the upgrade and had to wade through thread after thread of waste-of-time posts that sounded like a bunch of spoiled brats had been let loose. Most of the "complaints" were made without having taken the time to try out and play with what is a major upgrade, many more were due to user error. And of course there was all the whining about Netflix, Skype, "Where's the Android player? etc, etc...things that were NEVER promised in the first place. The worst though was all the "I'm so disappointed-with-RIM-needs-to-step-their-game" endless analysis type of posts. A real shambles. I shuddered to think of first-time forum visitors looking for help with their Playbook reading some of those post headings (although having said that I think many posts were from first time posters).

In the end was much easier to read the Blog for help. However I do thank all those who did politely post genuine questions and calls for help, and those who were positive and constructive in helping out with answers.
    Last edited by JiveGirl14; 02-23-12 at 01:09 PM.
    DPSydBerry and peter9477 like this.
    02-23-12 01:07 PM
    Funny .... I do not see anyting right or wrong with the Playbook or any other tablet for that matter.... As the origional poster points out is is abject ingnrance of the device and OS that caused the issues.... All the griping about how Android is implimented is laughable....

At no time did RIM ever say which titles would be released... Yet here are all the posts asking "where is this app... why did RIM not have this App" cluttering a fine forum.... Word to the wise.... if you inform your self about what is coming.... life will be a lot easier for you.....

On the tablet side....Some people need to check their expectations at the door.... I too would love a tablet that did absolutely everything I want.... maybe if you have low expectations it might... but for me.... I am patient and can wait for my "Dungeon Hunter" to be arrive in App World.... Oh wait .... My tablet doesn't have Dungeon Hunter.... what a piece of crap tablet... It may never come .... time to turf this turd of a tablet....
    Last edited by dbmalloy; 02-23-12 at 01:19 PM.
    02-23-12 01:10 PM
    I was worried about you yesterday

I for one did find your avatar mildly amusing.
    yeah that was a total lark, I couldn't resist doing that in light of all the raging that was going on but it wasn't meant to be serious at all. I was getting a bit flustered so I thought some dark humor therapy was in order

Now I'm spending a few posts today showing people how to access options I had to learn the hard way like email settings and using the ghost commander app
    02-23-12 01:17 PM
    The day before the release, loads of perfectly acceptable threads got locked and deleted, one of mine included where I was politely stating that a LOT of users would be let down by the upgrade.

Now look at the state of the forum, it's a total mess, it might as well be renamed to BlackBerry Rants and Whinnage...

What are the mods doing, they were PMSing the other day and are now totally absent...
    I found it very disheartening to see some -ve posts actually receiving "likes" and "thanks" from mods.
    Willard814 likes this.
    02-23-12 01:34 PM
    OK, guys, do you honestly believe that there are paid trolls on the forum? I've seen so many of these paranoia statements on this forum I just don't know whether to take them as sarcasm or not. "Apple is paying Best Buy employees to turn customers away from the Playbook." "We have trolls paid by Apple/Google who come here to post negative threads." Are you serious?

Now, answer the question honestly. Do you really believe Apple is paying retailers and posters? If you answered "yes", how come this has not been leaked yet? Apple has competition, too, and the competition would love to hear about unethical and illegal practices Apple is involved in. So would the press. And you still believe that Apple would jeopardize itself by paying poster? LOL

As for non-paid posters, I am sorry to tell you that most Apple fanboys don't really even know the Playbook exists. They are absolutely uninterested about the tablet that doesn't really pose any threat to Apple's dominance. They are more concerned with Android.

With this said, yes, there are people who probably come here for fun posting negative stuff (not because they are paid though). And, as the OP correctly observed, there are people who didn't put enough effort searching the forum and the Internet for solutions/answers before posting. However, there is a lot of people who do have real problems, but who are sometimes labeled ''trolls'.

In any case, the idea of somebody conspiring against RIM and hiring trolls is a laughable one. Does Apple terminate/kill the trolls after the job is done to prevent any leaks?
    Last edited by kennyliu; 02-23-12 at 01:52 PM.
    02-23-12 01:37 PM
    However, there are a lots of people who do have real problems, but who are sometimes labeled ''trolls'.
    Trust me, I have started picking up on the ones who really have problems and the ones whose sole intention is either to slander the PB or just start a flame war.

I for one (and many others) do a lot to help those who come here with problems, and also not let the ones who come to start an argument "not" get away easy
    Last edited by anindoc; 02-23-12 at 01:46 PM.
    02-23-12 01:40 PM
    While some individuals may not be paid specifically to be trolls, that they might be employed by Apple with stirring the pot as part of their job description is more than a distinct possibility.
    Last edited by hpjrt; 02-23-12 at 02:32 PM.
    jamesbondOO7 likes this.
    02-23-12 02:01 PM
    The PlayBook forums have certainly seen a tremendous amount of posts since OS 2.0 dropped. Prior to this, it was mostly enthusiasts anticipating the release, speculating, & commenting on any news.

I wasn't surprised @ the volume of uninformed posts, though keeping up with them & trying to respond to the multiple repeat posts has been tough.

Some are having legitimate problems, though most only have the problem of not using the SEARCH button, or READING THE MANUAL!

In the same breath, this place should remain hospitable enough that even for a n00b that asks a dumb question, and are not presented with too much hostility.
    kennyliu likes this.
    02-23-12 02:31 PM
    While some individuals may not be paid specifically to be trolls, that the might be employed by Apple with stirring the pot as part of their job description is more than a distinct possibility.
    I don't believe that an official job description will include any illegal/unethical duties. Apple lawyers know better than this.
    02-23-12 02:31 PM
    I don't believe that an official job description will include any illegal/unethical duties. Apple lawyers know better than this.
    I didn't say it was part of an "official" job description, just that it might be considered part of their job. Ethics has never stopped Apple in its long history of business practices. There can be a huge difference between what businesses do and what can be proven in a court of law.
    jamesbondOO7 likes this.
    02-23-12 02:37 PM
    I didn't say it was part of an "official" job description, just that it might be considered part of their job. Ethics has never stopped Apple in its long history of business practices. There can be a huge difference between what businesses do and what can be proven in a court of law.
    So you do believe that Apple will risk its reputation by paying trolls to post on this forum, whereas the efficacy of this practice is highly questionable.

Apple doesn't have to do anything to tarnish RIM's image. RIM has done this already without any outside help.
    balding1 likes this.
    02-23-12 02:41 PM

You must be new to this forum section then. This section was somewhat comparable to the storm section since roughly after devcon until now...
    pkcable likes this.
    02-23-12 03:34 PM
    I can spot them a mile away and I call them out!
    02-23-12 03:50 PM
    I have to admit I was getting tired of seeing "where is the android player?" Especially when the post is in a thread that has already explained it about 10 times.

I really think some people just like to see their name on the page, otherwise they would search and find their answers.

When I had my issues with charging my playbook back in December, I searched here and many other places on the web for an answer before I called RIM.

I mentioned this to the customer service rep so she would know that I didn't just call cause I was too lazy to find out for myself.

She said I was one of the very few who did. Most just call customer service. She said if those that could find the answer either in the help files or online actually did look there, it would remove many a waiting time for people with actually issues they can't resolve.
    Willard814 likes this.
    02-23-12 03:53 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD