My playbook, which has been running perfectly for almost a year, just decided it was going to start giving me video errors.

I've got vertical lines running up and down the entire screen. It still works, but the visual effect is annoying.

Anyone else run into this problem? Any suggestions on a fix?
    Last edited by morlock_man; 09-15-12 at 04:50 AM.
    09-15-12 04:35 AM
    if its only during videos then its software not hardware. If all else fails I suggest backing up, wiping, and putting the stuff back on it.
    09-15-12 12:43 PM
    They were present at all times, from the boot screen into all the apps and persisting through reboots.

Seems to be an issue with the 2.1 beta, which turns the screen on when charging with the PlayBook off. I normally charge my PlayBook with it on standby, but i drained it last night reading. Plugged it in and went to bed, didn't notice it had turned the screen on until i woke up.

Found another thread that mentions a similar issue, indicating its an issue with screen controlling resistors overheating by being left on with no LCD activity and it should fade over time, which it did. PB has returned to normal and the lines are no longer visible.

Very glad my PB is still usable. Its still under warranty, but it would be a pain to send it in for repair.

So no charging your PB while off if you're running the 2.1 beta.
    09-15-12 03:30 PM
    this has just happened to me, its still there and is so annoying, got so worried but heard it goes after a while, i did quite a few hard resets and was just about to reaload os, but i guess i should wait...
    11-23-12 03:38 PM
    this has just happened to me, its still there and is so annoying, got so worried but heard it goes after a while, i did quite a few hard resets and was just about to reaload os, but i guess i should wait...
    If you can hook up to an hdmi tv, do the lines show or is it limited to the pb's own display.

The PB has a one year warranty to the original purchaser. It also has 90 free Tech support. I do not know how Rim deals with "quasi-tech support v. warranty"

Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: playbooksupport@blackberry.com (this route generally does not work and a call is necessary)

(UK Support) 0800 096 2805

Playbook French Support
    http://fr.blackberry.com/playbook-ta...ok-support.jsp
    Phone : 0800 914 533 (within 90 days from activation)
    11-23-12 04:28 PM
    If you can hook up to an hdmi tv, do the lines show or is it limited to the pb's own display.

The PB has a one year warranty to the original purchaser. It also has 90 free Tech support. I do not know how Rim deals with "quasi-tech support v. warranty"

Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: playbooksupport@blackberry.com (this route generally does not work and a call is necessary)

(UK Support) 0800 096 2805

Playbook French Support
    http://fr.blackberry.com/playbook-ta...ok-support.jsp
    Phone : 0800 914 533 (within 90 days from activation)
    I dont have a cable yet, but they are slowly going, well it looks like its all gone now anyway, i saw your post like that elsewhere, thank you anyway
    11-23-12 05:50 PM
    I've had this a couple of times. Serves me right for restarting - just leave the thing on!
    The last time (just now) I did a search here and saw this thread. I ran my playbook down to about 5% battery and then plugged it in. To make it charge faster I shut it down. Then when I came back a couple of hours later the screen had a sort of grey glow to it. Like it was only half turned off. I forced a restart and it came back with the rainbow vertical lines. Worse on one half of the screen. I restarted a couple of times. Then read this thread. I plugged it in again (battery was about 95% and played around with it for a while, running a video, looking at pictures, starting a couple of apps. Took about 20 minutes and tge battery is now at 99% and the lines faded put and are gone. Weird little problem.
    01-13-13 04:16 AM
    I've had this a couple of times. Serves me right for restarting - just leave the thing on!
    The last time (just now) I did a search here and saw this thread. I ran my playbook down to about 5% battery and then plugged it in. To make it charge faster I shut it down. Then when I came back a couple of hours later the screen had a sort of grey glow to it. Like it was only half turned off. I forced a restart and it came back with the rainbow vertical lines. Worse on one half of the screen. I restarted a couple of times. Then read this thread. I plugged it in again (battery was about 95% and played around with it for a while, running a video, looking at pictures, starting a couple of apps. Took about 20 minutes and tge battery is now at 99% and the lines faded put and are gone. Weird little problem.
    I am not sure that it charges faster when turned off as long as you are NOT using it and it is in standby, I think it charges pretty reasonably.

Could this be caused by the pb getting too cold and having to warm up so that the screen reacts correctly? I know lcd screens can be affected by very cold temperatures.
    01-13-13 09:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD