Verizon 4g lte is now in my area and they have dropped the price of their Jetpack to $20/mo for 2gb. I can now surf with my Torch 9850 and my playbook at basically 4g speeds when available. This device supports 10 WiFi devices and will try to use 4g when possible, using 3g otherwise.

I had written that I MIGHT consider a 4g PB if and when it becomes available, but that I was not sure I needed one. But then, I paired my PB to my Jetpack and walked down next to Lake Conroe doing Video Chats with my children in Katy and Austin. Wow ! I can drive in my 1998 ML320 with basically 4g lte internet speeds for my PB. Check it out ! Doc Neutron
    Last edited by DoctorNeutron; 09-04-12 at 09:59 PM. Reason: spelling
    09-04-12 09:55 PM
    A 4G PlayBook will give you lower Ping than using a Wi-Fi only PlayBook connected to a mobile hotspot or through your phones hotspot feature. That coupled with the 4G PlayBooks 1.5 GHz processor makes it desirable. If the PlayBook comes to Verizon in the U.S., it will cost $10 to add to a Share All Plan. I want one.
    09-04-12 10:28 PM
    I looked into switching our family's plan to share everything. However we are grandfathered into the old unlimited everything, nationwide plus Canada, so it looks like we would end up paying about the same, if not more to add the jetpack. Oh well....4g lte someday.
    09-05-12 01:33 PM
    A 4G PlayBook will give you lower Ping than using a Wi-Fi only PlayBook connected to a mobile hotspot or through your phones hotspot feature. That coupled with the 4G PlayBooks 1.5 GHz processor makes it desirable. If the PlayBook comes to Verizon in the U.S., it will cost $10 to add to a Share All Plan. I want one.
    Ping on the PlayBook right on the PlayBook via LTE is about 33ms, through my LTE WiFi Hotspot, it's about 64ms. Not that big of a difference, especially for what you'd normally be doing on the PB.
    09-05-12 09:01 PM
    Question: I bought a Verizon 4G LTE jetpack 5510L/ mifi to accommodate all the devices between hubby and moi when we're in the US... BUT my dearly beloved Bold 9780 (3G/edge) isn't playing along. It will connect to the wifi and both devices confirm connection, however I cannot get internet access or any data (but my laptop and iPad do work).
    Is there a fix for this issue (besides the obvious - time to upgrade, I know!!)?
    12-10-13 11:32 PM
    Question: I bought a Verizon 4G LTE jetpack 5510L/ mifi to accommodate all the devices between hubby and moi when we're in the US... BUT my dearly beloved Bold 9780 (3G/edge) isn't playing along. It will connect to the wifi and both devices confirm connection, however I cannot get internet access or any data (but my laptop and iPad do work).
    Is there a fix for this issue (besides the obvious - time to upgrade, I know!!)?
    check settings???
    12-11-13 08:02 PM
    are you pinging your wifi ip??? my wifi pb says 11 when pinging wifi ip,,, pinging my isp via wifi= 55,,, looks like the 4g pb & jetpack may not be all it's cracked up to be,,, beware of vzw,,, scamaster deluxe...
    12-11-13 08:08 PM
    Do you have your SIM in the 9780? You will probably need an activated SIM with Blackberry services on the account in the phone. Without the BIS connection, you do not get data, even through wifi.

If you are roaming, disable data when roaming and use the Verizon for the wifi data.
    12-11-13 08:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD