As most people know, it's pretty easy to find a cheap PlayBook these days. I have sworn off tablets because I really don't have much of a need for one, but lately I've noticed I'm becoming quite the 'techy' and part of me really wants a PlayBook now. There's a local person who has a brand new, unused 16GB PlayBook for sale for $350. I want it, but I'm kind of 50/50.

In order to differentiate things and prevent people from telling me this doesn't need to be a new thread, pretend like you're a salesperson who is compensated with a free PlayBook every time you sell one.

Anyways, I know that it's ultimately my decision, but I want to ask everyone for their point of view. For the people with a PlayBook already, try and come from an unbiased standpoint; for everyone, including people who don't have one, share some things that most people might not know about the PlayBook, like some cool apps and what's in store for OS updates and what not.

I'm aware that I could probably scour the forums for a few hours and get a lot more insight, but I want some help on a personal level for my own situation.
    07-15-11 02:41 AM
    Don't buy the playbook. Your second sentence says it all, you "don't have a need for one"...and you'd be right, there isn't a need for a tablet, it's just a gadget to entertain yourself if you've got some spare money lying around. If you want to check back in 6 months, the PB might be running closer to it's full potential but for those on the fence, I'd say, stay away until RIM and TAT has had time to fully implement their plans. I've got a PB and I'm satisfied with it, but for all intents and purposes, no tablet will ever come close to a) my desktop for browsing and multitasking and running programs b) match the efficiency of typing and running tasks on a netbook while on the go c) have as quick access to my emails while on the go as my mobile phone.
    prebetsabu and T_Touch like this.
    07-15-11 03:05 AM
    Well if you travel alot it's great, can't wait till next month when I get to go away, will be great sitting around the campfire using my torch as a modem to do whatever on the playbook lol. Taking pics and vid, then watching on the 50inch tv in 1080HD when you get back.

Even traveling around during the day to your normal jaunts is easy because it's so portable. For me it's great cause no matter where I go now I'm connected and can get my Internet fix, e-mail...etc.

There's also the new seagate wireless external hard-drive that you can load up with movies and connect thru wi-fi.
    Last edited by jwn66; 07-15-11 at 03:27 AM.
    07-15-11 03:24 AM
    I'm sitting on the train, using bridge browser, watching a movie, replying to emails and bbm messages. When I get home, my 3 year old will use it for games and when I'm able to pry it from her I'll use it around the house and in bed to surf the web. Do I need two ipads, a playbook, an archos, etc, no, but I love my gadgets and the gadget I use most is the PlayBook.

Buy it if it suits you, dont if it wont...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-15-11 03:28 AM
    Where can you buy a Playbook for $350.
    07-15-11 06:24 AM
    Buy it and then when you are disappointed (since you don't have a need for one) sell it to me for $200. I love my Playbook and would love to have another one to give to my BB lovin' daughter.

07-15-11 06:28 AM
    If you're willing to take the time to learn how to use the device it will be worth it. If not, it won't. it's really as simple as that.
    07-15-11 06:33 AM
    come on, just do it!!!! Both my wife and I have a pb, and even though more is to come, we just love it. we love the size, ease of use, portability. Its to a point where were even video chatting, to each other in our own house, LOL, and even with all the ******** you hear about having to bridge, I think its a kick *** system. We just love our pb.
    07-15-11 08:27 AM
    The PB is the best tablet on the market and its potential has only barely been scratched. I rarely use my lap top anymore.
    07-15-11 08:32 AM
    Why give him advise to not buy? Why not just try it out.

If you don't think you need the device and *do not* expect it to perform well, you may actually be floored when you get used to it.

Of course, you'd have to buy retail to get that return window.
    Last edited by esqlaw; 07-15-11 at 08:47 AM. Reason: *edit*
    07-15-11 08:33 AM
    If you have a blackberry & you "want" a tablet the PlayBook is the best choice. Apps are sparse but they will start to arrive next year probably. The ndk will be released at devcon, give a few months for development time & early 2012 seems realistic.

07-15-11 08:33 AM
    I agree with newcollctor, I'd buy it for that price too.
    07-15-11 08:37 AM
    $350 is a good price but still that's a good chunk of money for a toy that you say you really don't have a need for. You need to decide on how you will use it or have some plans for it.

If you came into a store and I was the saleman at some point I'm going to ask what do you want to do with it. I would give you a run down on it's capabilities and demo the device but if you can't give me anything to work with I'm going to hit on it's $350 compared to $500 for the iPad2 or Samsung 10.1. and try and play the spec game. Then when you ask why is it so cheap. I'll just say RIM is running a promotion after it's over it goes back to $500 just like the other devices.
    backslaps likes this.
    07-15-11 09:12 AM
    If you can't do what you want with it out of the box, you shouldn't buy it. I did my homework and bought the tablet on the launch. It does, what I need it to better than anything else on the market and most don't even compare. But like I said you should make sure it does what you want out of the box, or else you will be back here complaining about something or other.

Go to the store and try one out and see for yourself. I hope you don't end up losing out on the deal if you take too long, that seems like a great deal.
    07-15-11 09:50 AM
    It's on Craigslist for all who are wondering. Thanks everyone for the responses, too.
    07-15-11 12:18 PM
    It's on Craigslist for all who are wondering. Thanks everyone for the responses, too.
    For how much? Oh you're in Ca.
    07-15-11 12:22 PM
    The guy listed it as $380, but when I texted him he said $350.
    07-15-11 12:41 PM
    ok....heres what i dont get.....why dont people buy something, try it and if they dont like it or feel there dont have a "need" for it....RETURN IT! why ask others if ur gonna like something?

granted you gotta have some dough to do this, but any joe with 600 credit rating has aleast a couple a grand spending limit on their cc.

i dont need my pb, but its worth the 700 i payed for it imho, and i use it alot. the family bought (with his own money) my brother in law an ipad 2 last week, and all he does is watch cnn or al-jazeera on it, while he sits infront if his 65 in plasma tv.....does he need it? no

does he regret having it or want to return it, no, he likes it, for whatever reason that i dont understand
    07-15-11 12:44 PM
    ok....heres what i dont get.....why dont people buy something, try it and if they dont like it or feel there dont have a "need" for it....RETURN IT! why ask others if ur gonna like something?
    I said it's on Craigslist, so I couldn't return it.

I ask people because some people have more experience with the PlayBook and some even own it. I'm sure it isn't just me, but I like to research things before I decide to buy them; tech reviews help, but actual customer testimonies help a lot as well. This is a big potential investment I want to hear as much as possible before I make my decision.
    07-15-11 12:51 PM
    I said it's on Craigslist, so I couldn't return it.

I ask people because some people have more experience with the PlayBook and some even own it. I'm sure it isn't just me, but I like to research things before I decide to buy them; tech reviews help, but actual customer testimonies help a lot as well. This is a big potential investment I want to hear as much as possible before I make my decision.
    i know u said it its on craigslist, i read the entire thread.....the point that in was making is that researching it here and hearing other peoples opinion on tablets is not worth penny.....u can read reviews, u can listen to me or someone else here saying how good or bad the pb is

dalton, my friend, do urself a favor, go to best buy, buy a pb...play with it for 2 weeks and see if u like it. these ebay and craiglist deals come and go, u might find one for 400 in two weeks, maybe one for 350 or better yet, 300. but atleast u'd know what ur getting and that ur gonna be satisfied with it

id hate to see you here later saying that u wasted 350 dollars and cant do anything about it
    07-15-11 01:02 PM
    i know u said it its on craigslist, i read the entire thread.....the point that in was making is that researching it here and hearing other peoples opinion on tablets is not worth penny.....u can read reviews, u can listen to me or someone else here saying how good or bad the pb is

dalton, my friend, do urself a favor, go to best buy, buy a pb...play with it for 2 weeks and see if u like it. these ebay and craiglist deals come and go, u might find one for 400 in two weeks, maybe one for 350 or better yet, 300. but atleast u'd know what ur getting and that ur gonna be satisfied with it

id hate to see you here later saying that u wasted 350 dollars and cant do anything about it
    I appreciate the concern, but if I end up liking it and having bought it from Best Buy, I will have lost $150. If I don't like it, I will have to return it and pay a restocking fee which will probably be the difference of me buying it or $350 and selling it back on CL if I don't like it.
    07-15-11 01:10 PM
    I appreciate the concern, but if I end up liking it and having bought it from Best Buy, I will have lost $150. If I don't like it, I will have to return it and pay a restocking fee which will probably be the difference of me buying it or $350 and selling it back on CL if I don't like it.
    no restocking fee at best buy....ask them anyway

Did You Just Buy an iPad? Here's the Return Policy for Major Retailers - iSmashPhone iPhone Blog

what i meant was, use it for a couple of weeks, return it, then buy from ebay or CL

edit: i've had to return 3 playbooks to best buy for either dead pixels or faulty backlight...another thing you might want to be concerned about when buying from CL. if u pick it up locally, install a dead pixel checker on the device run it, check for dead pixels, then pay the guy
    Last edited by uci2ci; 07-15-11 at 01:33 PM. Reason: spelling
    07-15-11 01:17 PM
    You also stated it was from craiglist and so cant return it, so if something was wrong with it from the seller you would be out $350 dollars instead of the $150 lost by paying full price.
    07-15-11 01:36 PM
    You also stated it was from craiglist and so cant return it, so if something was wrong with it from the seller you would be out $350 dollars instead of the $150 lost by paying full price.
    Right, but that's entirely banking on something being wrong with it. I wouldn't buy it expecting something to be wrong, therefore the essentially $150 insurance policy wouldn't be worth it for me.

EDIT: Thank you for that link and advice uci2ci. I appreciate it.
    07-15-11 01:44 PM
    ^^

See what I'm saying Dalton!

WOW! really dude. So much hatred. Why are you so active in the PB community?
    07-15-11 01:51 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD