sort of a weird topic but here goes. My Z10 is new enough that unlocking it is a pain. I have an unlocked LTE playbook that I am going go use on a trip to the US. I have set up a tmobile prepaid data plan on it. When I did this I didn't clarify a few things so hoping someone can help. Questions are;

Does t mobile usually allow hotspot use with data in the US? I did ask when I set the plan up and the rep sort of didn't answer. I was in a rush and should have clarified.

Z10 andmobile hotspot use.I have not really used the Z10 hooked up to a mobile hotspot, in canada,as I have plenty of data. I assume if t mobile allows me to use my playbook as a mobile hotspot I should be able to hook in with my Z10. Reason will be to communicate with wife and family in canada via whatsapp and BBM, both of which are not offered on the playbook. Should have tested this while I was in the US getting the plan set up but I was hopping BB10 on the pb would have dropped by my trip (in two weeks). Can't really test it from Canada or will be hit with roaming charges. Telus roaming plans in the U S are a total rip off so the pb seemed the way to go.

Any help or advice on t mobile and hotspotting would be appreciated. Thanks!
    04-23-13 01:11 AM
    In the states T-Mobile does have a prepaid plan that offers HotSpot. Be sure to tell the counter droid you want that or they will try to sell you the unlimited everything plan which does not allow HotSpot. The best option will probably be 2GB data. You don't need voice or TXT for the PlayBook. I've not used a data only plan so I don't know much about those. Anyway, the way the limited data plan works on T-Mobile is you get the purchased amount (let's say 2GB) at full LTE speed. If you exceed that amount, the data speed slows down. No extra charges (as far as I know) or cut off, just reduced performance. I like that way better than AT&T which starts to charge outrageous prices for data over your limit.
    04-23-13 07:30 AM
    I assume the LTE PlayBook does not do Bridge Web access back to the Z10. That would be sweet as you could use the unlimited data plan and use Bridge to access the Internet without a HotSpot. Even if that did work, you wouldn't be able to do other data stuff on the Z10 (like BBM, Whatsapp, Facebook, etc...) through Bridge. Only Web would work.
    04-23-13 07:34 AM
    sort of a weird topic but here goes. My Z10 is new enough that unlocking it is a pain. I have an unlocked LTE playbook that I am going go use on a trip to the US. I have set up a tmobile prepaid data plan on it. When I did this I didn't clarify a few things so hoping someone can help. Questions are;

Does t mobile usually allow hotspot use with data in the US? I did ask when I set the plan up and the rep sort of didn't answer. I was in a rush and should have clarified.

Z10 andmobile hotspot use.I have not really used the Z10 hooked up to a mobile hotspot, in canada,as I have plenty of data. I assume if t mobile allows me to use my playbook as a mobile hotspot I should be able to hook in with my Z10. Reason will be to communicate with wife and family in canada via whatsapp and BBM, both of which are not offered on the playbook. Should have tested this while I was in the US getting the plan set up but I was hopping BB10 on the pb would have dropped by my trip (in two weeks). Can't really test it from Canada or will be hit with roaming charges. Telus roaming plans in the U S are a total rip off so the pb seemed the way to go.

Any help or advice on t mobile and hotspotting would be appreciated. Thanks!
    The only flaw in can see in your plan may be the battery time on your Z10.

My Z10 can just about struggle through a working day on a full charge. When I connect using mobile hotspot, forget it. I would suggest a spare battery or a portable charger to complete your tasks. I have a portable charger which easily fits into my pocket and can fully charge my Z10 while I'm using it in approx 45mins. Had about 18 months, great little item.
    04-23-13 08:36 AM
    I don't have an LTE Playbook, but does the LTE PlayBook even have the ability to create a hotspot?
    04-23-13 09:36 AM
    I don't have an LTE Playbook, but does the LTE PlayBook even have the ability to create a hotspot?
    I haven't either but even if it does the Z10 battery life on mobile hotspot will still be an issue. Unfortunately the LTE as far as I am aware was never released in the UK otherwise I would have one. Something to do with us not having 4G yet. Remember we are a third world country.
    rebroker2009 likes this.
    04-23-13 09:53 AM
    I haven't either but even if it does the Z10 battery life on mobile hotspot will still be an issue. Unfortunately the LTE as far as I am aware was never released in the UK otherwise I would have one. Something to do with us not having 4G yet. Remember we are a third world country.
    LTE was actually a Canadian invention, created by the now bankrupt Nortel Networks. It was one of the patents that got auctioned off by the bankruptcy trustees. Its not surprising that we had it here first on Rogers.
    04-23-13 10:29 AM
    Hey thanks for the responses. I am just getting back to this thread after a day away. I appreciate the feedback! Sounds as if t mobile will work. I actually went with a 3 gig plan for $30. That should be enough although the plan is to let the kids on the field trip use the hotspot to hook in their own phones when wifi is not available. We shall see how it all works. Thanks again!
    04-24-13 01:54 AM
    Can you tell us which device is providing the hotspot? It isn't clear in your posts.
    04-24-13 09:06 AM