Hello. I have a Torch 9800 that has proved very reliable and robust, and have recently been given a Playbook 16GB by a friend who never used it. I think he thought that as I had the 9800 I might use it more.

Anyway, I already have an Android tablet that is used for all the tablet-y things like, er, buying stuff on eBay and reading the news, so I wanted to do something different with the PB.

So - the plan is to use it as a media hub. I have:

One pair of lovely old Mission speakers
    One lovely old Cyrus One amplifier
    A hard drive full of flac, mp3, AAC and MP4a music files that is a SAMBA shared drive

What I'd like to do is sit the PB on top of the amp and stream music from the hard drive - obvioulsy the lovely screen will make it easy to chose tracks and so on. I can also use my phone as a remote using bridge.

So what I need is:

A piece of software that will access the SAMBA drive and play the various formats - I know XBMC will do this, and that was the software I wanted, but I understand it won't run on my PB. So is there some software anyone can recommend?

A means of getting digital audio out of the PB and converting it to analogue audio to feed to the Cyrus. I could use the headphone socket, but that wouls mean cables coming out the top (audio) and bottom (power) which would look ugly - I'm hoping to cut a slot in the charging stand for either an HDMI cable attached to some sort of converter, or, prefereably, a USB cable (because USB digital-analogue converters seem easier to find.

Any advice much appreciated. Thanks all.

Tom
    11-18-13 05:16 AM
    I'd recommend Kalemsoft Media Player, plays every format I throw at it KalemSoft Media Player for BlackBerry PlayBook - Sale - BlackBerry World

Using this you can stream any content from a remote computer to the PlayBook.

You could also give Files and Folders a try (I haven't tried it) for a free 3 day trial - plus, its cheaper than Kalemsoft. Files and Folders for BlackBerry PlayBook - BlackBerry World

Goes without saying, you would use your 9800 as a remote control using BlackBerry Bridge. Good luck!
    11-18-13 06:15 AM
    if i understand you, you want to run media from a source to your pb, THEN to the amp??? for the pb>amp connection, look on amazon for a mini-hdmi > rca jack, or what ever your amp inputs are,,, they have every adapter/connector known to man,,, if you can think of it, someone has made it,,, as far as how to get the media sent from the source to the pb, try a 128GB scandisk usb drive plugged into your router,,, you should be able to connect thru your wifi settings in the pb...

p.s. the headphone socket won't work, it's an outbound connection,,, i believe you want an inbound one, hence going into the back of the amp thru the proper input,,, i.e. aux input or another that's not being used,,, i have all my gadgets running into my stereo in one form or another...
    Last edited by SEAWARRIOR; 11-18-13 at 06:58 AM.
    11-18-13 06:44 AM
    Thnaks for the replies.

I've not got the PB with me (or any cables anywhere!) to test - but as I understand it the audio out from the HDMI is digital, and the Cyrus amp (being from the 1980s) doesn't have a digital input, so I would need some sort of Digital to Analogue converter.

However, I might be wrong, because I can't find anywhere that says if the audio output via HDMI is analogue or digital, and without the cables I can't test it!

Is it possible to get digital audio from the USB socket?
    11-18-13 07:09 AM
    Thnaks for the replies.

I've not got the PB with me (or any cables anywhere!) to test - but as I understand it the audio out from the HDMI is digital, and the Cyrus amp (being from the 1980s) doesn't have a digital input, so I would need some sort of Digital to Analogue converter.

However, I might be wrong, because I can't find anywhere that says if the audio output via HDMI is analogue or digital, and without the cables I can't test it!

first get this---> Amazon.com: BlueRigger High Speed Micro HDMI to HDMI cable with Ethernet - 10 feet: Electronics

then get something from here--->Amazon.com: mini hdmi to rca

you may also need this--->Amazon.com: Micro USB Male to USB A Female Adapter: Computers & Accessories
    11-18-13 07:25 AM
    Thnaks for the replies.

not that i know of...
    11-18-13 07:27 AM
    this may be not exactly what you need, but it'll get you going in the right direction...

Amazon.com: Monoprice Digital Coax & Optical Toslink to R/L Stereo Audio Converter: Electronics
    11-18-13 07:29 AM
    Hello. I have a Torch 9800 that has proved very reliable and robust, and have recently been given a Playbook 16GB by a friend who never used it. I think he thought that as I had the 9800 I might use it more.

Anyway, I already have an Android tablet that is used for all the tablet-y things like, er, buying stuff on eBay and reading the news, so I wanted to do something different with the PB.

A hard drive full of flac, mp3, AAC and MP4a music files that is a SAMBA shared drive

What I'd like to do is sit the PB on top of the amp and stream music from the hard drive - obvioulsy the lovely screen will make it easy to chose tracks and so on. I can also use my phone as a remote using bridge.

So what I need is:

A piece of software that will access the SAMBA drive and play the various formats - I know XBMC will do this, and that was the software I wanted, but I understand it won't run on my PB. So is there some software anyone can recommend?

A means of getting digital audio out of the PB and converting it to analogue audio to feed to the Cyrus. I could use the headphone socket, but that wouls mean cables coming out the top (audio) and bottom (power) which would look ugly - I'm hoping to cut a slot in the charging stand for either an HDMI cable attached to some sort of converter, or, prefereably, a USB cable (because USB digital-analogue converters seem easier to find.

Tom
    Wow. There are very few of us with Mission. I have the 25w amp and CD player.

BB Proud
    11-18-13 07:32 AM
    this may be not exactly what you need, but it'll get you going in the right direction...

Amazon.com: Monoprice Digital Coax & Optical Toslink to R/L Stereo Audio Converter: Electronics
    I have found this, which should work, I think - just need a micro HDMi to HDMI cable I think?

HDMI to AV CVBS 3 RCA Video Composite Converter HD TV DVD Sky VHS Blu PS3 Xbox | eBay

The back of my amp looks like this

Using Playbook as a Media Hub-cyrus-1-u002528b-u002529.jpg

so I'd then need phon cables to go from the eBay thing to the amp, then just sit back and listen?
    11-18-13 08:16 AM

BB Proud
    Thanks - I do well for collecting things other people don't want - as well as my PB being free to me, my Mission speakers cost 8 and my Cyrus One was free (although I've had to pay to get it fixed)
    11-18-13 08:18 AM

So what I need is:

Tom
    Tom - I think there's another possible solution. Have you seen the BlackBerry Music Gateway? BlackBerry - BlackBerry Music Gateway - US

This is a great device, and still available on Amazon and elsewhere. You connect it to the inputs on your amp, and then using Bluetooth, synch it with your PlayBook. I've used it with the analog inputs on an older Harmon Kardon (which did have digital inputs too), and it worked perfectly fine. It also works great with the NFC on my 9900.
    11-18-13 08:40 AM
    Tom - I think there's another possible solution. Have you seen the BlackBerry Music Gateway? BlackBerry - BlackBerry Music Gateway - US
    Hi Stephen - thanks for your reply - I did look at the music gateway when I was thinking of streaming music from my laptop to the amp - but I stopped when I read that Bluetooth compresses the audio signal (and when I remembered that my current laptop curiously doesn't have bluetooth!)

That said, I've just had a look around and this is available near to me - Harman Kardon BTA10 | Bluetooth Receiver | Richer Sounds

I don't plan on moving anything once it's all set up though so if I can wire it together for better quality I'd rather do that.
    11-18-13 09:01 AM
    Hi Stephen - thanks for your reply - I did look at the music gateway when I was thinking of streaming music from my laptop to the amp - but I stopped when I read that Bluetooth compresses the audio signal (and when I remembered that my current laptop curiously doesn't have bluetooth!)

That said, I've just had a look around and this is available near to me - Harman Kardon BTA10 | Bluetooth Receiver | Richer Sounds

I don't plan on moving anything once it's all set up though so if I can wire it together for better quality I'd rather do that.
    Good luck with it Tom...sounds like a fun project.
    11-18-13 09:14 AM
    Thanks Stephen - it's getting more complicated than I'd hoped already: I change to cable broadband in a few weeks and I've just noticed that my new router does not have a USB connection, which means I will lose my SAMBA shared drive of music, so now I'm looking at NAS drives.

And the concept was so simple!
    11-18-13 09:31 AM
    You should be able to access your SAMBA drive using ES File Explorer (needs to be sideloaded). I don't think ES supports flac, though. What is good about ES, though, is that it should also allow you to create playlists of mp3 files on your drive.
    11-18-13 09:54 AM

BB Proud
    nad 350w/ch + cerwin d7 x2 + cerwin cx12 x2 + 2 little aiwa satellites for some tectonic plate moving 6.0 sound,,, i occasionally get calls from the USGS telling me to turn it down...
    Last edited by SEAWARRIOR; 11-18-13 at 06:43 PM.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    11-18-13 10:32 AM
    nad 350w/ch + cerwin d7 x2 + cerwin cx12 x2 + 2 little aiwa satellites for some tectonic plate moving sound 6.0 sound,,, i occasionally get calls from the USGS telling me to turn it down...
    Wot did you just say?
    11-18-13 11:13 AM
    nad 350w/ch + cerwin d7 x2 + cerwin cx12 x2 + 2 little aiwa satellites for some tectonic plate moving sound 6.0 sound,,, i occasionally get calls from the USGS telling me to turn it down...
    I also have Cerwin Vegas for my mission. I just couldn't pass up the amazing bottom end they have. Cyrus makes them sound better than they really are.

BB Proud
    11-18-13 11:22 AM
    Wot did you just say?
    translation= loud enough to cause earthquakes...
    sad_old_man likes this.
    11-18-13 06:43 PM
    translation= loud enough to cause earthquakes...
    Oooohhhh that's lowd that iz!
    11-19-13 10:09 AM
    I have found this, which should work, I think - just need a micro HDMi to HDMI cable I think?

HDMI to AV CVBS 3 RCA Video Composite Converter HD TV DVD Sky VHS Blu PS3 Xbox | eBay

Most of the links I see in this thread, including yours, are for devices that convert from RCA to HDMI. You want the opposite.
    Here is a HDMI to RCA converter.

You do have to convert from digital to analog.
    11-21-13 04:56 AM
    I use squeeze box server on my nas, not sure if yours would support it. It streams thru squeeze2pb app and I control it with my phone or pb using orange squeeze app, or another controller app. I have it hooked to my house stereo with hdmi and or headphone out. Works great!

Posted via CB10
    11-21-13 11:20 PM