• Don't use it for reading ebooks

6 6.90%
  • really bad for e reading

7 8.05%
Multiple Choice Poll.
09-12-13 01:27 PM
31 12
tools
    For all those who like the PB as an e-reader, if battery life seems too short, note that switching to a largely black screen will significantly reduce power consumption.

In the Kobo app, if I am going to do a lot of reading (many hours) and don't want to drain the battery really quickly, I switch to the night mode (white text on black background) and reduce brightness as much as I can handle.

Power drops from about 1.8W to 1.35W on this particular PlayBook when I do that.... that translates from 10h of reading to 13.3h, for a 33% increase.

The effect is consistent in other apps too, by the way, so if you're a developer, make sure you provide an option for a "dark" mode if you're concerned about battery consumption. There's a reason the default Cascades theme is "dark" right now...
    Too bad! I much prefer the sepia setting in Overdrive - it's more comfortable for my eyes. I guess I will have to read while plugged in if I plan a long session.
    09-11-13 07:14 PM
    When I travel, I do a lot of reading on my PB. I have Overdrive, Kindle (sideloaded), Book Reader, and 100 free ebooks. I generally read physical books at home.

I love having one tool that fits in my purse to read and go online with when I travel.
    09-11-13 08:21 PM
    When I travel, I do a lot of reading on my PB. I have Overdrive, Kindle (sideloaded), Book Reader, and 100 free ebooks. I generally read physical books at home.

I love having one tool that fits in my purse to read and go online with when I travel.
    I retired my Kobo e-reader since I got my playbook. It's ease of use and much more intuitive than my Kobo. The weight is the only downside but after a while one get use to it. Just make sure if you read in bed when you fall asleep the playbook does not fall off the bed Thank god my playbook was fine.
    09-11-13 08:30 PM
    I use it for ebooks but no tablet can compete with a good ereader for clarity, glare, battery life, etc.
    FF22 likes this.
    09-12-13 11:46 AM
    While the Playbook is suited as an e-reader of sorts, in the long run it pays off to invest some money in a dedicated e-reader with e-ink technology. The difference between staring at a tablet screen and the clean not constantly refreshing page of a true e-reader is (pardon the pun) an eye-opener...
    FF22 likes this.
    09-12-13 01:25 PM
    Just make sure if you read in bed when you fall asleep the playbook does not fall off the bed Thank god my playbook was fine.[
    No kidding! I fear this everynight. Makes me stay up later because it freaks me out so much.
    09-12-13 01:27 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD