Hello all,

First time poster here so please bear with me.

I just purchased my PB last week. I already have some books on my computer that I want to upload to my PB but can't seem to figure out how. I have various formats of e-books from pdf to mobi to epubs. which ones are the best for using with the PB and most importantly HOW CAN I GET THEM UPLOADED?

I guess my direct question is where do I put them and how on the PB so that I can access them through some App (Kobo)

Thanks in advance

Dallas
    01-06-12 03:50 PM
    i used e-pub
    and there are a few free readers in the appworld
    01-06-12 04:03 PM
    The Kobo app only recognizes documents which originate from the Kobo web site. So you need to use Book Reader or another similar app. While connected to your PC, and seeing your PB as another drive, just drag your ebooks to the 'documents' folder on the PB.
    01-06-12 04:40 PM
    Hello all,

First time poster here so please bear with me.

I just purchased my PB last week. I already have some books on my computer that I want to upload to my PB but can't seem to figure out how. I have various formats of e-books from pdf to mobi to epubs. which ones are the best for using with the PB and most importantly HOW CAN I GET THEM UPLOADED?

I guess my direct question is where do I put them and how on the PB so that I can access them through some App (Kobo)

Thanks in advance

Dallas
    I thought of Kobo first and though I like it, it's proprietary and you can only read non- DRM on it. I use ePub book reader (which reads just about any format) using drag and drop over wi-fi. You transfer them over to the PB then import into ePub. Works like a dream. You have to have enabled file sharing over wi-fi on the Playbook.
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    01-06-12 04:52 PM
    Only new myself to playbook and have had no experience with bb. But i really like to read and was initially disappointed with onboard kobo app as i was unable to load my library as in kobo for iphone. I discovered a small but versatile reader called bookreader which is able to open multiple formats though is lean on bells and whistles. a very worthwhile purchase at .99 cents!
    01-06-12 04:54 PM
    The pb does have an adobe reader/viewer app included. You can try it - no bookmarks and no search function. Copy your pdf files to the pb's document folder. (I made a subfolder under that called pdf just for my own organization and the pb and adobe reader will find the files).
    01-06-12 06:00 PM
    I like Play Epub, but it is epub format only. You need to download Calibre, which is freeware, and it will convert from just about any format to any other format, including epub. Note that your books must be non-DRM encrypted.
    01-06-12 06:07 PM
    I use the BookReader app. Then when pb is connected via usb, a drive is usually mapped so that I transfer my epub and pdf files into the books folder.
    dlaw867 likes this.
    01-06-12 06:35 PM
    I read my Kobo books in the Kobo app and epubs from other sources on Epub Reader. I had go strip DRM from a couple books in order to read them on Epub; sorry can't remember off the top of my head which program I used. I just did a search on Google to find one. I love using my PB for reading...I'm using it instead of my Sony Ereader.
    01-06-12 07:09 PM
    I use Book Reader and Kobo but wish Adobe would implement Adobe Digital Edition for the BlackBerry PlayBook since they insist upon infesting books within the Kobo bookstore with DRM encryption. Fortunately, I found a free utility to rid the ADE DRM-encrusted PDFs of encryption so I can read those books using Adobe Reader. Adobe Reader is a poor excuse for the PDF reader on the tablet.
    01-06-12 07:20 PM
    I have hundreds of books in epub format on my computer that I had from my old bookreader. I use Free Bookreader, which only reads .txt I convert my books using calibre then email them to my playbook. Simple but it works fine.
    01-06-12 07:27 PM
    While i'd like to use Kobo, just hated paying for books - so i torrented for them, then used a free app called Calibre on my pc tp change them over to the right type of eBook and niw read them all with anither free app on the PB called simply BookReader. Works. Works perfectly....

Perhaps not the way to respond here, but the PB as an eBook reader is SUPERLATIVE!!!
    Last edited by JVRudnick; 01-07-12 at 06:02 PM.
    dlaw867 likes this.
    01-07-12 05:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD