It works great when I pair my 9790 but when I pair my PlayBook I cant change the volume suing the device controls. Anyone else had this?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using Tapatalk
    07-22-12 02:17 AM
    It works great when I pair my 9790 but when I pair my PlayBook I cant change the volume suing the device controls. Anyone else had this?

Yes. I don't know if it is a quirk, bug or the way some bt devices work. While I CAN control the volume of my Motorola S9's using the pb, I canNOT control the volume of my Logitech bt device (which is similar to the BB Gateway). So, yes, lack of volume control is a fact for some bt devices.
    07-22-12 08:28 AM
    I think it might be PB's music player????
    If I stream music from a local radio stations website
    I am able to adjust the volume using the websites java player.
    (also using Logitech BT adapter)
    07-22-12 08:37 AM
    I've had no trouble with it. Although in the music application the software volume slider cannot be moved, the hardware buttons have always worked for me. So are you guys saying the hardware buttons are also not working with the Gateway (or similar device?)
    07-22-12 09:06 AM
    I've had no trouble with it. Although in the music application the software volume slider cannot be moved, the hardware buttons have always worked for me. So are you guys saying the hardware buttons are also not working with the Gateway (or similar device?)
    I'm upstairs and my Logitech is all the way down a flight of steps! (yesterday's 3,400 foot gain/loss hike did in my thighs) All I recall is that a message flashes on the pb's screen, something to the effect "can't adjust volume from pb." I thought I had tried both the slider and the physical buttons but now don't recall.
    07-22-12 09:39 AM
    I'm upstairs and my Logitech is all the way down a flight of steps! (yesterday's 3,400 foot gain/loss hike did in my thighs) All I recall is that a message flashes on the pb's screen, something to the effect "can't adjust volume from pb." I thought I had tried both the slider and the physical buttons but now don't recall.
    I get that message when my PB is connected via hdmi to my tv or amp; I believe it is because the hdmi signal doesn't contain a volume level in all the hdmi data. Just like you would have to adjust the screen aspect ratio on the device, perhaps screen brightness, similarly adjusting the volume seems to make more sense on the device itself. It may be a similar design principle at work for the BT audio.

Where did you find a 3000 foot elevation gain doable in one day? I did Ptarmigan Cirque in Kananaskis Country last week, only a few hundred feet of elevation gain... much more civilized!!!
    07-22-12 11:09 AM

that's certainly the case for me, yes.

07-22-12 12:49 PM
    Patrick:

"Foothill" of the Cascades just east of Seattle. 4 miles up and 4 miles down. Accompanied by a few hundred of my closest friends! Very popular. No snow there but tons of snow elsewhere, still. This one pretty much shoots up from the surrounding farm land. Same vicinity there's one that gains over 4,000 feet and in a very short distance - did it once!
    07-22-12 12:59 PM

This is the same for me. While the volume control works when connected to my BB phone the volume control does not work when connected to the playbook. Called RIM tech support they confirmed that there was a limitation with the bluetooth hardware and it may be fixed with the next software update. He cold not confirm but thats what he said. And they wonder why people are so p...ed off. Could understand if the music gateway was third party.
    07-22-12 01:12 PM
    Okay, to double check that it was both the in App slider volume control and the volume buttons on top, I just tried both. As you can see in the picture the slider isn't an option and a message pops up with the top buttons.

Yet I can use the volume control on this Web radio player

News 88.9 Web Radio Player

So I guess we wait for an update.
    Last edited by DC506; 07-22-12 at 01:47 PM.
    FF22 and Just Me like this.
    07-22-12 01:38 PM
    OK, I bought 2 gateways (one for me and one for friend). When I set up MY gateway, no issues, and the TOP volume buttons worked as expected, AND the volume "slider" at the bottom right of the PB music player DID WORK ALSO. Could control the volume into my A/V system with no issues. Even worked outside through a double glass sliding window (approx. 30/35 feet. And even my LEFT hand holding the PB (where the antenneas are). No clipping or anything. That was day 1.

Scene 2: Day 2, powered up the PB and A/V system to listen to some music, and I noticed that the volume SLIDER in the PB music player did not work anymore, "railed at full volume, but the volume keys on the TOP of the PB work fine. Next I noticed that when I again held it in my left hand (I'm a "righty") I started to get clipping, even in the living room with my back to the gateway. I rebooted the gateway, PB, Hard reset on the PB, AND unplugged the gateway for about 4 hrs. and then re-paired them again and still get the clipping when holding the left side (I know...) and the vol. slider in the music player is still railed at full volume and cannot control it. Top buttons still work fine.

Anyone else get this "effect"?

The first day with it it WORKED FLAWLESSLY.

I am on the "current" build (.358 AFTER getting .668 and wiping to get back to the "current" .358 version)

I'm not alone in this, BUT did anybody's work perfectly at first, then the volume and clipping issue??????

Happy Saturday!

C
    08-18-12 01:33 PM
    I DID notice that when I was on .668 for 2 days it seemed that the PB BT/WIFI was "stronger and faster"?, but that could have been my misperception.

C

That was before I got the gateway....
    Last edited by Carl Estes; 08-18-12 at 01:38 PM.
    08-18-12 01:35 PM
    I DID notice that when I was on .668 for 2 days it seemed that the PB BT/WIFI was "stronger and faster"?, but that could have been my misperception.

C

That was before I got the gateway....
    We can only hope the PB BT signal can be made stronger. My PB skips and cuts out very badly. I stopped short of bringing out the old CD repair kit and trying buff some of the scratches out of the PB. The fruit pad on the other hand works really well with it. Is it ironic that the BBMG is a better accessory for the fruit pad than the PB?

The Torch works very well with the BBMG
    Last edited by Just Me; 08-18-12 at 02:52 PM.
    08-18-12 02:45 PM
    OK, I bought 2 gateways (one for me and one for friend). When I set up MY gateway, no issues, and the TOP volume buttons worked as expected, AND the volume "slider" at the bottom right of the PB music player DID WORK ALSO. Could control the volume into my A/V system with no issues. Even worked outside through a double glass sliding window (approx. 30/35 feet. And even my LEFT hand holding the PB (where the antenneas are). No clipping or anything. That was day 1.

Scene 2: Day 2, powered up the PB and A/V system to listen to some music, and I noticed that the volume SLIDER in the PB music player did not work anymore, "railed at full volume, but the volume keys on the TOP of the PB work fine. Next I noticed that when I again held it in my left hand (I'm a "righty") I started to get clipping, even in the living room with my back to the gateway. I rebooted the gateway, PB, Hard reset on the PB, AND unplugged the gateway for about 4 hrs. and then re-paired them again and still get the clipping when holding the left side (I know...) and the vol. slider in the music player is still railed at full volume and cannot control it. Top buttons still work fine.

Anyone else get this "effect"?

The first day with it it WORKED FLAWLESSLY.

I am on the "current" build (.358 AFTER getting .668 and wiping to get back to the "current" .358 version)

I'm not alone in this, BUT did anybody's work perfectly at first, then the volume and clipping issue??????

Happy Saturday!

C
    It might help to point out if you are using music gateway 1 or 2. I believe previous posts are referring to music gateway 1.
    08-18-12 02:51 PM
    It might help to point out if you are using music gateway 1 or 2. I believe previous posts are referring to music gateway 1.
    I'm almost 99.99% sure its the Gateway 2. I will check my invoice when I get home. I ordered them and I received them lastweek. Not sure if that proves/verifies that it is the second revision.

If that is the case, then what might the difference be between 1 and 2????

It does look like the "on-screen volume" slider IS disabled when bridge to the Gateway. "Normal" until update maybe........

To fix the dropouts, I just invert (to keep the antenneas unrestricted) the PB and the Volume controls are on the bottom. No biggie, and the range seems quite a bit better.

To only thing that leaves me puzzled is that ALL volume controls worked and range was spectacular. For one day.

Probably a firmware bug that "allowed" this to work as one would think, and as one hopes for when the next update comes out.

C
    08-20-12 01:45 PM
    We can only hope the PB BT signal can be made stronger. My PB skips and cuts out very badly. I stopped short of bringing out the old CD repair kit and trying buff some of the scratches out of the PB. The fruit pad on the other hand works really well with it. Is it ironic that the BBMG is a better accessory for the fruit pad than the PB?

Maybe this would point to the issue being a firmware issue on the PB, only to be fixed with an update that has this issue addressed.

C
    08-20-12 01:48 PM

If you are holding the PB in such a way that you are covering the bottom left corner (to the left of the BlackBerry branding) then it will cut out and get choppy. This is where the antena is for the Bluetooth transmitter and mine will do the same.
    Just Me likes this.
    09-13-12 11:27 AM
    The only time that my Playbook cuts out with the Gateway is if I am streaming internet radio from Digitally Imported or TuneIN's website. If I am playing music that is stored directly on the Playbook, there are no issues. I had thought that it was my internet connection, but both my Ipad and BB9780 do not skip when playing from the same the websites.
    09-13-12 11:48 AM
    I really enjoy the sideloaded Pandora app with the Gateway and my home stereo system. I frequently leave it running all day long for background music. And if I need to do something else on my PlayBook its still wireless and provides a good amount of freedom as long as I stay within one side of the house. Really good range on the Bluetooth in my experience.
    Last edited by axllebeer; 09-16-12 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Spelling
    09-13-12 11:54 AM
    I can add that my PB works perfectly with volume control.
    So far every phone/ipod has been able to connect to the Music Gateway with full control (volume, play/pause, next/previous, mute, etc).
    I have also connected my 9900 and a friends nexus via NFC, and both paired quickly and had full control.
    09-13-12 12:48 PM
    I am currently using BB Music Gateway 1 with Playbook on OS 2.1.0.840. I have never had volume control via Playbook while connected through Gateway. Very interested to know if this is possible, either on Gateway 1 (no NFC) or Gateway 2 (NFC). My 9930 connected through same Gateway allows volume control to music played through Gateway. Through Playbook, volume levelnis pegged at full volume.
    09-16-12 01:12 PM
    The only time that my Playbook cuts out with the Gateway is if I am streaming internet radio from Digitally Imported or TuneIN's website. If I am playing music that is stored directly on the Playbook, there are no issues. I had thought that it was my internet connection, but both my Ipad and BB9780 do not skip when playing from the same the websites.
    What do you use to stream DI? Just the web links?
    09-16-12 08:06 PM
    Seems to work fine with my gateway. I'm on. 668
    09-17-12 08:40 PM
    If you are holding the PB in such a way that you are covering the bottom left corner (to the left of the BlackBerry branding) then it will cut out and get choppy. This is where the antena is for the Bluetooth transmitter and mine will do the same.
    You are so correct. I was playing around with my PB tonight and noted that the bluetooth radio can be completly blocked just by placing my finger on the bottom left hand edge of the PB. When that area is uncovered the bluetooth audio is essentially perfect. Unfortunatly the bottom corners is where everyone hooks their pinkys around to support the weight of the PB whilst holding it.

Tip: Don't hold the bottom left hand corner of the PB when playing music over bluetooth.
    10-20-12 10:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD