My wife and I currently purchased a new car and are considering getting a rear-view backup camera for it. I ran across some bluetooth cameras which mount to the steering wheel. My question is, would I be able to connect it to the Playbook somehow using the bluetooth connection?

Just a thought,

Chris
    06-10-12 07:39 PM
    I'm not sure this would ever work. How could you even transmit video over bluetooth?
    The stock playbook definitely wouldn't be able to receive video over bluetooth.
    Also, why would you mount these on your Steering Wheel??
    06-10-12 07:44 PM
    Is there any backup camera that works with the pb?

I already setup my pb as gps and mp3player for my car will be awesome a camera that works...
    06-10-12 09:41 PM
    This is the only thing from keeping me from switching out my pioneer navi unit in my truck. I could easily fit the pb in the dash, connect to my amp, etc but I really don't want to lose my back up camera. If they allow USB otg we might have a shot at making it work. I'm still trying to figure out how to get a trigger to open the camera when shifting into reverse.
    06-10-12 09:46 PM
    Yes, it can be done in theory. There are car audio experts out there putting in ipad products into a car dash, but you'd have to ask them what all is involved. Its never as simple as it may seem and there are electronic add-ons involved which quickly elevate costs associated with a project like this. Here's a link showing what can be done. iPad gets fitted into car dashboard, makes you an instant carpooling superstar (video) -- Engadget

Lenny
    06-11-12 01:43 AM
    Here's another shot at this type project, with a Playbook. But one should never mount any type monitor in the steering wheel. Not only would you never pass a mandatory safety inspection, but it's simply dangerous. I've seen this at car shows, but they are in cars that will never see an actual road, just show floors. The back up camera is mounted near your rear license plate area or bumper with cables run to the amp, add-ons, and finally to the Playbook/monitor.

Lenny
    06-11-12 02:03 AM
    You could use your Playbook as the camera and hook it up to an external display via HDMI.
    06-11-12 03:56 AM
    You could use your Playbook as the camera and hook it up to an external display via HDMI.
    I don't think a PlayBook would last very long mounted above your license plate.
    deemgee and Jsolts like this.
    06-11-12 04:24 AM
    I'm still trying to figure out how to get a trigger to open the camera when shifting into reverse.
    Just put a 12 volt normally open relay in your backup lights circuit (just find a wire going to one of your backup lights). They are always switched on when your car/truck is put into reverse. Then whenever you select reverse, the relay will close and you can turn on the backup camera (which is likely powered by 5Volts of the USB circuit).
    06-11-12 04:32 AM
    Don't use PlayBook as a backup camera mounted on the outside...please.
    06-11-12 05:07 AM
    Buy the camera and get it professionally installed. A few hundred dollar is not worth the time and getting yelled at by your wife.
    GallagherPreach likes this.
    06-11-12 09:10 AM
    A few of the responses got me laughing, but I busted when I read Phoanyone's response, "Buy the camera and get it professionally installed. A few hundred dollar is not worth the time and getting yelled at by your wife."

My wife and I just purchased a new Camry and it will primarily be for me. I will drive it quite a bit for work and such and I always have my playbook with me. I have looked into the idea of replacing the normal rearview mirror with a bluetooth one that works with a bluetooth rear bumper mounted camera, but wanted to see it if was possible with a playbook.

I would never mount my playbook in my car, I use it too many places to have it mounted in the car. I do have a windshield mount I use every now and then, but rarely.

It would just be a quick camera feature.

Thanks for the information.
    06-12-12 02:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD