Hi

Does any one know if it is possible to connect a USB 3G dongle to the playbook? I have a mini USB to USB adapter cable and today I had to by a USB dongle as I needed internet on my travels ( currently in OZ for work)

I know I can hotspot my PC and share my internet it that way but I would like to connect direct to playbook so I can video chat to home direct.

Just curious to see if can be done.

Thanks in advance

Mike
    06-01-13 06:58 AM
    Not yet !

Posted via my White Z10
    06-01-13 07:33 AM
    Nope, the Playbook doesn't support USB "host" mode i.e. it can only act as the "device" in a USB connection to a PC, not as the "host" for other USB peripherals such as 3G dongles or USB flash drives.

It is possible it could work in the future, but BB don't seem to be bothering to work on the PB too much so I wouldn't recommend getting your hopes up. Your best bet for mobile internet is either get the 4G playbook or get a "MiFi"-style portable hotspot device.
    06-01-13 09:23 AM
    Many speculate that this feature could be 'switched on' should BB10 (or whatever) ever arrive on the Playbook. Who knows? Personally I just want a functioning BB10 bridge. (I'm sorry if banging on about this is annoying anyone but, if it p**** off people here, then hopefully it will also be p****** off the people at the other end of the Blackberry twitter accounts I send this message to several times a day, every day.)
    Last edited by bozvandam; 06-01-13 at 10:46 AM. Reason: 'cause I can
    FF22 likes this.
    06-01-13 10:44 AM
    Many speculate that this feature could be 'switched on' should BB10 (or whatever) ever arrive on the Playbook. Who knows? Personally I just want a functioning BB10 bridge. (I'm sorry if banging on about this is annoying anyone but, if it p**** off people here, then hopefully it will also be p****** off the people at the other end of the Blackberry twitter accounts I send this message to several times a day, every day.)
    Go for it! Maybe they will finally respond and fix what they definitely crippled in the bb10-pb connection. A major and unique feature was blown away by the ahem "new and improved" OS. I DON'T THINK SO!
    bozvandam likes this.
    06-01-13 11:02 AM
    Not directly (yet, if ever). You will need a portable (they're very small actually) 3G router that can accept the USB dongle and create a wireless hotspot for your PlayBook (and other devices) to connect to. My parents live in a rural location and use this setup. They use a DIR 412 and it's very small (deck of cards). Here is one on Amazon.ca for comparison D-Link DIR-412 Mobile Wireless Router 3G, 11n-Based, 150Mbps (Black): Amazon.ca: Electronics Here is a different model from thesource.ca TP-Link Portable 3G/3.75G Wireless N Router | Wireless Network | Ratings & Reviews | TheSource.ca

Hi

Does any one know if it is possible to connect a USB 3G dongle to the playbook? I have a mini USB to USB adapter cable and today I had to by a USB dongle as I needed internet on my travels ( currently in OZ for work)

I know I can hotspot my PC and share my internet it that way but I would like to connect direct to playbook so I can video chat to home direct.

Just curious to see if can be done.

Thanks in advance

Mike
    06-02-13 10:55 PM