What? A copy of a copy is exactly the same as the source. That is what copy means. I think you are confusing "encoding" with "copying", which are entirely different actions.
    He was thinking 8-track tape.

Uses for a Playbook mid 2015?-8_track_1.jpg
    08-17-15 10:25 AM
    I use my 64 daily. Reading the news, banking, streaming music, book reading. I also download movies and load them onto the PlayBook. I show the movies to an audience connected through HDMI and a large screen tv. Browser is slowing down. It is 4 years old. Battery is still great. Many uses. Screen still like day 1, crystal clear.
    LyoobaBerry likes this.
    08-17-15 11:04 AM
    He was thinking 8-track tape.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8_track_1.jpg 
Views:	1006 
Size:	30.1 KB 
ID:	367186
    Both of you are totally lost. Leave audio for the pros. ;-)

Posted via CB10
    08-17-15 08:33 PM
    I use my 64 daily. Reading the news, banking, streaming music, book reading. I also download movies and load them onto the PlayBook. I show the movies to an audience connected through HDMI and a large screen tv. Browser is slowing down. It is 4 years old. Battery is still great. Many uses. Screen still like day 1, crystal clear.
    Reconsider using the browser for banking, not good.

Posted via CB10
    08-17-15 08:35 PM

Posted via CB10
    Lost? How about actually responding with statements that make sense. Instead, you claim we're lost. This is basic computer stuff, and you're failing bad...
    Bigsigh08 and EchoesFX like this.
    08-17-15 09:17 PM
    Playing music and movies for my son. It still has great speakers and a great screen.

Web browsing is painful, and apps are mostly an afterthought.

But it works well for those purposes.

Posted via CB10
    extisis likes this.
    08-18-15 11:51 AM
    Playing music and movies for my son. It still has great speakers and a great screen.

Web browsing is painful, and apps are mostly an afterthought.

But it works well for those purposes.

Posted via CB10
    My son loves the PlayBook. When he can get it away from me.

Posted via a touchscreen, excuse the typoos.
    08-19-15 06:14 PM

Posted via CB10
    How do you think an MP3 works? This isn't an analog signal that degrades like when you copy a cassette tape. When you copy a file from one digital device to another, if the bits said "10110011" in file A at location X, they will say "10110011" in location X in file B as well. As the format is digital, and the audio is produced by interpreting the bits that make up the file, there is literally no possible way that what you are claiming happens when copying an MP3 file actually happens. If digital storage worked the way you are claiming that it works, then distributing anything but analog content would be impossible the data that makes up the content would literally be destroyed by the copying process, and it would not play.

Please, stop talking about things you either don't understand or are feigning ignorance about in an attempt to troll.

Posted via CB10
    terminatorx and BCITMike like this.
    08-19-15 08:31 PM
    I have a Passport on a Corporate plan which doesn't allow tethering but with my old Playbook (which I reclaimed from my children), I can browse using BlackBerry Bridge. That being said, if anyone knows how I can get my mobile hotspot working, please share! Would unlocking it make any difference?

Posted via CB10
    08-19-15 09:52 PM
    How do you think an MP3 works? This isn't an analog signal that degrades like when you copy a cassette tape. When you copy a file from one digital device to another, if the bits said "10110011" in file A at location X, they will say "10110011" in location X in file B as well. As the format is digital, and the audio is produced by interpreting the bits that make up the file, there is literally no possible way that what you are claiming happens when copying an MP3 file actually happens. If digital storage worked the way you are claiming that it works, then distributing anything but analog content would be impossible the data that makes up the content would literally be destroyed by the copying process, and it would not play.

Please, stop talking about things you either don't understand or are feigning ignorance about in an attempt to troll.

Posted via CB10
    yeah the last post was a troll post but let me make myself clear i guess my wording wasn't correct and sorry that you guys got your panties in such a wad. when you compress a WAV to an mp3, you lose quality of the audio, quality of the file already. i guess i wasn't clear on the basis of when copying an mp3 file can lose quality. Since we were talking about the 90s, i should reference Napster a good example. said file would pass from one member to another and one would possibly convert it to aiff, another back to mp3 and share it, and when you download off p2p sites you download bits of the file at a time from different seeders, different types of one file (could cause corruption) thus totally changing the quality among other things. Now that we made that clear- you guys can let go of all the testerone you built up to defend how copying a file can change quality.

Now you can please stop talking about things now unrelated to title of the thread? Or mods- you can kill it, because you keyboard warriors have soured it completely. I thought it was about the PlayBook.
    08-19-15 10:01 PM
    I have a Passport on a Corporate plan which doesn't allow tethering but with my old Playbook (which I reclaimed from my children), I can browse using BlackBerry Bridge. That being said, if anyone knows how I can get my mobile hotspot working, please share! Would unlocking it make any difference?

Posted via CB10
    Thank you for at least staying close to topic. Which provider does your co go through? Unless they can provide mobile hotspot I don't see how you could use it- and unfortunately unlocking it won't help with that... I know that AT&T shared data plans already come with mobile hotspot and tethering. Maybe you could call the co. provider to enable it?
    08-19-15 10:05 PM
    Yeah...I don't think they will just because it includes unlimited data.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-15 10:14 PM
    yeah the last post was a troll post but let me make myself clear i guess my wording wasn't correct and sorry that you guys got your panties in such a wad. when you compress a WAV to an mp3, you lose quality of the audio, quality of the file already. i guess i wasn't clear on the basis of when copying an mp3 file can lose quality. Since we were talking about the 90s, i should reference Napster a good example. said file would pass from one member to another and one would possibly convert it to aiff, another back to mp3 and share it, and when you download off p2p sites you download bits of the file at a time from different seeders, different types of one file (could cause corruption) thus totally changing the quality among other things. Now that we made that clear- you guys can let go of all the testerone you built up to defend how copying a file can change quality.

Now you can please stop talking about things now unrelated to title of the thread? Or mods- you can kill it, because you keyboard warriors have soured it completely. I thought it was about the PlayBook.
    Dude, I even figured out you meant "encoding", not "copying" and you still don't see that. Its not misusing words, its misunderstanding concepts. The p2p thing "totally changing the quality among other things" doesn't make sense. There are hashes in the p2p to detect corruption and ensure that you are receiving exactly what was sourced. The garbled mp3's that you downloaded were intentionally placed there by the music industry to degrade the services and try and push people into buying music as the no hassle option. This is why rating systems were introduced in various p2p softwares, so that crap mp3's could be avoided instead of downloaded thousands of times.

Converting wav to mp3 is just compressing the uncompressed PCM signal, not transcoding/encoding it with loss (There is a slight loss in accuracy, since the decoded sample values are rounded to the 16 bit output). So there should not be measurable quality difference. Sure, there are cases where people change formats multiple times, but if that's how you get your music, that's your own damn fault.

This isn't testosterone fueled. This is someone on the Internet is (very) WRONG,doesn't know it and would rather argue than learn. https://xkcd.com/386/
    EchoesFX likes this.
    08-19-15 10:19 PM
    do i feel a breeze? mods please close this thread as it's no longer valid.
    08-19-15 10:25 PM
    do i feel a breeze? mods please close this thread as it's no longer valid.
    Why, because you got egg all over your face now? LOL
    EchoesFX, extisis and Bigsigh08 like this.
    08-19-15 11:16 PM
    Why, because you got egg all over your face now? LOL
    hardly but ok. believe what you want. nerds unite.
    08-19-15 11:27 PM
    Uses for a Playbook mid 2015?-img_20150821_035443.jpg
    FlipClock on the Rapid Charger.

Pasaporte Pilipino.
    extisis likes this.
    08-21-15 02:55 AM
    Alarm clock. That's pretty much it. Or sometimes the relaxbook apps. I keep meaning to sideload a snes emulator but haven't got round to it.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576 O2 UK
    08-21-15 03:15 AM
    I don't use my PB for banking for obvious reasons but I do use it as a bank register. Money Plus, an app that is both on BBTablet OS and BB10, albeit in different iterations, is a cool tool to record and view your expenses and incomes. And it's password lockable of course.

Posted via CB10
    08-22-15 11:13 PM
    Same, I use mine mostly as a bedside clock.

Posted via CB10
    09-03-15 09:16 PM
    I use mine for college. I upload the mp4s of my classes, pdfs of books and such. Plus its great multimedia capabilities, I use Neutron Music Player wich I find better than the native music player, and stock the pictures from my vacations, its screen is beautiful to watch all kinds of content
    extisis likes this.
    09-15-15 09:12 AM
    I use it everyday banking, I read books, surf the Internet, etc. Only one small detail: I think I have a problem with it, is very slow. Any solution?

Posted via CB10
    Kowal likes this.
    09-15-15 09:20 AM
    I use it everyday banking, I read books, surf the Internet, etc. Only one small detail: I think I have a problem with it, is very slow. Any solution?

Posted via CB10
    Slow meaning the Web browser, or the PlayBook OS in general?

Posted via CB10
    09-15-15 05:30 PM
    I moved house and found my 32gb Playbook, I've had an iPad for last few years and not really had a use for the PB, however I fired it up and still love the way it feels. I saw a video of a guy inserting it in his dashboard recently and was impressed, I also noticed Deezer is still available as an app and seeing as I'm a premium member I thought I should download it and see if it works and to my surprise it works really well. Seeing as the PB is 32gb 4x that of my phone I've decided to use it as my in car deezer device. If only there was a decent navigation app then it would be the ultimate in car device. Any tips for a side load or a good Navigation app that is available?
    09-21-15 09:57 AM
    I have bought/acquired 5 PlayBook tablets over the years and although I don't have all of them today I still have 2 that I use and also I use the sleeves that they came with in the door of all my cars to hold little things.

Uses for a Playbook mid 2015?-img_20150921_112132.jpg

Attachment 372398

Posted from my Q10 via the power of "Q"
    Last edited by axllebeer; 09-21-15 at 10:53 AM.
    09-21-15 10:23 AM
235 ... 34567 ...