As long as the "BRIDGING" connection to my Q10 continues to work, the PlayBook is my lunch time/break time surf machine. Pays to avoid scrutiny using work computers on their network while surfing. "Bridging" with Q10 makes it all worth it to take the PlayBook on trips since the Q10 screen is too small sometimes. Probably easy to buy a neglected PlayBook cheap as many owners have moved on to newer technology. I got not complaints other than the outdated unsupported OS which retains some important to me data, pictures and videos.
    Bridging was a great concept, but limited depending on the use. Most modern phones have the option to create a wifi hotspot to share data, so the bridging function has limited use for that front. Can't access the phone's email directly, so it double downloads to the tablet and the phone anyhow. Bridge does work if you want to use the BB10 phone as a remote, and to get text messages and BBM messages to the Playbook. If you are using bridge just for the data connection, any modern phone can do that.
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    06-26-15 06:18 AM
    Perfect web browsing machine and movie player

Posted via CB10
    06-26-15 06:22 AM
    I use my playbook for watching videos, music. I also use it as an alarm clock. You can find a 64GB model for less than $100. I wouldn't pay more than that.
    Which alarm app? The best one I found is android based and lately, it's been slowing down so often, I have to restart app daily or close. For a long time, I only had to restart the app every few months.

Posted via CB10
    06-26-15 02:35 PM
    I still have three, one issued at work and two personal PBs. My work PB is used for photographing tech issues, invoicing, email, tech manuals, bridging when in the field for sending in reports and editing work orders, project time keeping and management, flight charts, PP presentations and browsing.

One of my personal PBs is used for browsing, book and Bible reader, music, camera, video. I do a lot of bridging with my Z30 for email, viewing phone pics and videos, viewing and editing phone documents. The sound is so phenomenal that I use it for recording violin lessons and practice. I also record new pieces I'm working on and use a cool "slow down" app to bring down the tempo on faster pieces until I get familiar with it. Great tuner and metronome as well. My instructor bought a PB last year just for those purposes as well as for music editing. Also used as my primary bedside alarm clock in the charging dock. I love the escalating alarm tone and varible snooze settings.

My other personal PB is predominantly used as my topo map viewer on my motorcycle and 4wheeler.

I'm still getting some great use out of my PBs and for the right price, still a versatile bargain.
    awindsr likes this.
    06-28-15 01:24 AM
    [QUOTE]Bridging was a great concept, but limited depending on the use. Most modern phones have the option to create a wifi hotspot to share data, so the bridging function has limited use for that front. Can't access the phone's email directly, so it double downloads to the tablet and the phone anyhow. Bridge does work if you want to use the BB10 phone as a remote, and to get text messages and BBM messages to the Playbook. If you are using bridge just for the data connection, any modern phone can do that[QUOTE]

I agree all modern smart phones can create a wifi hotspot, but unless I read my contract incorrectly, Verizon would love to charge me extra per month for using my unlimited data plan as a wifi hotspot. Bridge by BB is far from perfect but I'm sure carriers hate the technology that doesn't generate income for them. Its neat to be able to respond to texts/BBM while bridging on the PlayBook so in my little "circle" of non-BB friends its a unique feature they don't have.
    panven likes this.
    06-28-15 09:19 AM
    I have a Galaxy Note 8.0 tab but I still use my PlayBook to download or stream music, and have the Showbox app for all my movie/shows that I watch. I never leave in a business trip without it.

Posted from my BlackBerry Z30 Smartphone Handset...BOOM!
    06-28-15 11:29 PM
    E reader, that's it.
    06-29-15 10:09 AM
    The clock app has an alarm feature. Open the app, you will see a clock a stopwatch and a timer. Touch the clock and from there you can set the alarm.
    BCITMike likes this.
    06-29-15 10:32 AM
    The Browser is really really bad. It's like trying to watch paint dry when loading a website.
    It is slow, but I've found that by turning off JavaScript support in the Options it's much better. Still slower than modern browsers, but better.

Of course not all sites load correctly without it though
    06-29-15 08:49 PM
    I mainly use it for web browsing...rarely..and there are a few good apps, reaper is a great one you can spend hours on
    jeez no kidding. I bought it and have been endlessly playing it in my PB and Z30. Just to clarify it's a game [Reaper] not just an app.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.2.680
    Sean Fanelli likes this.
    07-01-15 12:49 AM
    [QUOTE=AggreX;11750713][QUOTE]Bridging was a great concept, but limited depending on the use. Most modern phones have the option to create a wifi hotspot to share data, so the bridging function has limited use for that front. Can't access the phone's email directly, so it double downloads to the tablet and the phone anyhow. Bridge does work if you want to use the BB10 phone as a remote, and to get text messages and BBM messages to the Playbook. If you are using bridge just for the data connection, any modern phone can do that

I agree all modern smart phones can create a wifi hotspot, but unless I read my contract incorrectly, Verizon would love to charge me extra per month for using my unlimited data plan as a wifi hotspot. Bridge by BB is far from perfect but I'm sure carriers hate the technology that doesn't generate income for them. Its neat to be able to respond to texts/BBM while bridging on the PlayBook so in my little "circle" of non-BB friends its a unique feature they don't have.
    Guess that depends on the carrier, and something that users have to double check. Some carriers do allow for free hotspot use. I think apple products also allow for some kind of proprietary data sharing to get around the hotspot limitations; but like BB, it only works between apple devices.
    07-03-15 09:32 AM
    The bridge was great because it was so seamless. Just fire up the browser on the PB and provided it was already bridged everything just worked. Sure, a lot of phones can do a wifi Hotspot but that kills the battery much faster. I believe there is a way to do it over bluetooth on some android devices but I'm not 100%

Posted via CB10
    07-03-15 10:57 PM
    Still use the PB nightly! Bridges to my Passport but not like BBOS7 but still have two functions. Its a bit bigger than my Passport screen wise and great for movie watching while traveling. Great speakers for music videos as well! Great 64gig tablet for the $40 I spent on it!

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.2339
    extisis likes this.
    07-03-15 11:03 PM
    Still use the PB nightly! Bridges to my Passport but not like BBOS7 but still have two functions. Its a bit bigger than my Passport screen wise and great for movie watching while traveling. Great speakers for music videos as well! Great 64gig tablet for the $40 I spent on it!

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.2339
    If only they had put miracast on our PlayBooks... they would still be living and breathing. Now they're just breathing xD

Posted via the CB10 App on my Z10
    07-04-15 02:37 PM
    The bridge was great because it was so seamless. Just fire up the browser on the PB and provided it was already bridged everything just worked. Sure, a lot of phones can do a wifi Hotspot but that kills the battery much faster. I believe there is a way to do it over bluetooth on some android devices but I'm not 100%

Posted via CB10
    I used to do it with my 9800/9810 over Bluetooth on an app called Tether- before the PlayBook came out. And yes android And even iOS has/had this and similar apps. Tether never came to BB10 even though the devs said they were developing an app for it.

Posted via the CB10 App on my Z10
    07-04-15 02:40 PM
    I put my Z10 on hiatus for a year or so and recently activated it. I updated it with the new OS, Amazon App store and a replacement SIM card. I love that device so much, I bought a PlayBook.

I will use it for books, movies, music and games. While RIM no longer has accessories for it, Amazon and eBay do.
    07-16-15 07:38 AM
    Kindle. That's all. Music. Shame on black berry not giving it a project. To employees.

Posted via CB10
    07-16-15 12:42 PM
    Recently put TubeMate on mine and it works for youtube. Watching videos on an Android tab is weak thanks to the awesome PB speakers!

I use Willow for twitter (perhaps Blaq still works too). So as a news/content consumption device it still works.

Posted via CB10
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    07-16-15 02:19 PM
    I think it is really dependent on what one wants to get out of it. Playbooks are the only tablet I had ever had and it works for my exact needs. I do a lot of grilling and meat smoking (8-16 hours) so I have it loaded with movies and music for entertainment. I use Dbase31 to track and make notes of what I am smoking.

I am also a movie producer/script writer and author so I use Dbase31 for logging shots during filming, MyScreenplays Pro for writing the scripts and use Documents To Go to write my books.

That is all I really need in life.

I am not a gamer but there are a few time killers I have found as well.
    terminatorx likes this.
    07-21-15 08:23 AM
    Found a good use.....

Uses for a Playbook mid 2015?-01.jpg
    07-21-15 09:32 AM
    Well just last night I placed a Z30->PlayBook Video Chat call when facetime failed on an old iPad2 because of inadequate bandwidth on the hotel internet. Worked perfectly. It is still sad to see the missed opportunities with this device.

Posted via CB10
    methodinsane likes this.
    07-24-15 06:36 AM

Ballistic are the best!
    07-24-15 06:50 AM
    I wish someone would gather all the stupid things and put them in a New Mexico landfill like the Atari ET cartridges.

Then, 30 years from now, when they were dug up, the playbook would FINALLY be worth something.

Posted from BlackBerry Classic, Verizon, no camera, 10.3.2.2205
    07-24-15 08:21 AM
    Hey guys, what are the best options for watching movies on the PB? I found the native video reader very bad (videos would sometimes stop halfway for no reason), and also found it very difficult to put the movie .mp4 files on there in the first place since you couldn't connect to a PC via USB, only w/ network shares. What are your solutions?

Sorry, I'd like to typo but my Q10 doesn't support it.
    07-24-15 12:50 PM
    Use mine every day. AutoPlay Videos for my Teaching Company lectures while I'm commuting, and Neutron Music Player for music at my desk (easily as good as my hifi at home). Plus the occasional use of Navigator or Planetarium or even Kindle Reader.
    07-24-15 01:32 PM
235 1234 ...